Reactions to Series 8

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Other Red Dwarf Fans i’ve spoken too have had mixed opinions on Series 8. Personally I liked the change of pace, but some of my friends and a few critics i’ve read think the show is getting stale.

How did everyone else react to the return of the crew and the imprisonment of the main characters?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by MUDLOCK:
    Other Red Dwarf Fans i’ve spoken too have had mixed opinions on Series 8. Personally I liked the change of pace, but some of my friends and a few critics i’ve read think the show is getting stale.

yep, I’ve heard that too. personally I liked season 8 more than season 7 but not nearly as much as season 6. That was the best as far as I’m concerned.

Most Dwarfer diehards prefer the earlier seasons when Red Dwarf was done on a small budget and the graphics were naff. I guess they liked the cultishness of it (I know I did). It was funny and dark and totally whacky – and not many people watched it. It was our little secret.

Season 8 was a drastic change, bug budget and flashy graphics – not the same at all. And yet the Cassandra episode was as good as any episode from seasone 1,2,3 and 4 (IMHO)

But all things change.

How did everyone else react to the return of the crew and the imprisonment of the main characters?

I didn’t like seeing the rest of the crew much (except the crazy ones )

——————

rockrolf
    Participant

My only problem with seasons 6-8 are they tend to follow a more obvious formula for each episode than the earlier season did. As a result I like the more spontaneous feel of the early seasons, and I find them more funny after watching repeatedly. But this is just my opinion. I do enjoy seasons 6-8 though with 6 being the best and 7 being the worst of those years. THe transition of a main character never completely took and you could tell that, and the season doesn’t really flow smoothly. On a side note I don’t care much for CGI effects so that does detract from the quality of the show, IMO.

Tom

Anonymous

I love series VII. Mainly because of the character interaction that was reminicent of series 1 and 11. Kochanski opened up fresh opportunities and some of the episodes were great.
    Series VIII was more like 111-VI and for that direction it was great.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by rockrolf:
    My only problem with seasons 6-8 are they tend to follow a more obvious formula for each episode than the earlier season did.

Point taken, it seemed like they were trying to introduce some continuity with reoccuring guest characters and an obvious plot device in the canary missions.

One of the joys of the show to start with was that the writers bent the facts to get the most laughs, if they’d tried to have serious continuity Lister would never have had his appendix out twice and the number of dead crew members wouldn’t have risen by a factor of thousands between series.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Red Dwarf has never taken itself that seriously, they don’t bother checking every scipt against all the old scripts to make sure there aren’t any discontinuities (ala StarTrek) – they just go with it, if they think it’s funny, in it goes
    Dr Who was another bad series where it comes to continuity, lots of things changed with no explanation as the series evolved (like in the beginning The Doctor claimed to have made the Tardis himself, yet later they bring in the Time Lords etc.)
    I’d post more but my mind has gone blank.. I’m really sick right now, apologies if none of this makes sense..

Anonymous

No dissing series 8! It is my favourite, because once again we have Rimmer (yay) and he’s funny again!

We have the good old concepts of series 1 & 2 with the interactions between Lister & Rimmer and Norman Lovett, Captain Hollistor is funny, the Cat is away from most of the action but you can always guaruntee that he has something funny to say whenever he’s on screen, and all this and we have Kryten!

This all moves at a faster pace than the first 2 series, without being too much complicated action. Marvellous stuff.

Anonymous

IMO all red dwarf episodes can’t be bashed. The esence of Red Dwarf left with the departure of Rob though and as a result series 7 and 8 weren’t just as good. Series seven however had some great story arks, like “Tikka to ride” and series 8 had a different feel to it. Series 8 saw a welcome return of Rimmer but the rimmer that returned was not the rimmer we all spent all our time watching and seeing him grow more bareable but the original prat that rimmer had evolved from. I think it was the series 8 sound track that killed it for me. But like i said, Red Dwarf is great, whichever episode it is.

Anonymous

series 8 brought the series back to life. it was starting to seriously run out of ideas, but bringing back the crew and the ship gave Lister, Cat and all, more to interact with. it opened up a whole new universe of possibilities, and gave us even more characters to have a damn good laugh at. i loved Birdman and Peeete….

Anonymous

Well, the first few serieses were cute and kitsch and silly, and made on a budget that is quite similar to that of the Australian Shuffleboard Comission’s… but they were very wounderful. And series 8 was wonderful too, because it had become so professional, and some of the stroylines were really great.

Anonymous

wonderful…….. I meant wonderful…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.