Recognition on freesticky.com

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Recognition on freesticky.com

• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

the news feeds have made the news on freesticky.com (a reputable resource for webmasters and browsers alike).

Checkout out little review HERE.

dgrequeen
    Participant

“Pommys”? May I hazard a guess that these are Aussies? Or Kiwis?

Cool mention, Sad!

Anonymous

Pommy is a derogatory term that Australians use for Brits but what the heck does it mean? I only knew that from an old Croc Hunter ep where I overheard it once but till now havent seen it mentioned.

I wonder how many fresh hits this will generate. Hurry Saddy put in those pop-ups and adverts fast!

[ 27-03-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Pommy is a derogatory term that Australians use for Brits but what the heck does it mean? I only knew that from an old Croc Hunter ep where I overheard it once but till now havent seen it mentioned.

I wonder how many fresh hits this will generate. Hurry Saddy put in those pop-ups and adverts fast!

[ 27-03-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

I’m not sure entirely what ‘pommys’ means, I heard one explanation, whether it’s accurate or not I don’t know.
    When the first convicts arrived in Australia, they were transported by the British Navy, after a while they installed a governor there, I think the favourite fruit for these governors was pomegranites (not sure of spelling), and the name came from that.
    The same way that some Americans call us limeys, which I believe was due to the fondness of the Brtish having a lime in their tea, possibly came from when the British fought early America.
    Might be the same instance for how some parts of the world call Americans ‘Yanks’, obviously taken from the American civil war.
    I know the Brtiish used this name for Americans heavily in WWII, not so much now, but still tends to be used by the older generation.
    But pommies goes way back, and I don’t think Australians intend the word to be offensive any more, it’s just another part of their history that has stuck.
    Squishy

Headgehog
    Participant

Cool first on the list.
    What’s “REVENUE BEARING”?

quote:

Hurry Saddy put in those pop-ups and adverts fast!

Dude don’t even joke about pop-up ads. It’s just another advantage that this board has over others. I don’t mind the banner ads that I occasionally see though. Pop-ups are just annoying.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    “Pommys”? May I hazard a guess that these are Aussies? Or Kiwis?

a strange lady i met at a bar once told me it was derived from the acronym pome, which stands for prisoner of mother england. Not too sure how accurate that information is though.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:

Might be the same instance for how some parts of the world call Americans ‘Yanks’, obviously taken from the American civil war.

lol Squishy you brought back some memories for me. Not just around the world do they say that but in the US too! When I lived in Georgia (Originally from Philly) I got called that on a daily basis, and not all of it friendly. Then again I only lived there for a year due to the hospitality. No offense to Georgians Im sure I just lived in a ****ty part. But you’re right dont think Ive heard any single word terms for Americans other than Yank.

Anonymous

quote:

lol Squishy you brought back some memories for me. Not just around the world do they say that but in the US too! When I lived in Georgia (Originally from Philly) I got called that on a daily basis, and not all of it friendly. Then again I only lived there for a year due to the hospitality. No offense to Georgians Im sure I just lived in a ****ty part. But you’re right dont think Ive heard any single word terms for Americans other than Yank.

Wow, what is it, roughly two hundred years after the war of independence and there is still a little hostility.
    Mind you, some Australians still seem to have a thing against us Brits, which is weird, coz the only people we tend to bitch about is the French, oh and the Germans and sometimes the Italians, but not much is said towards the Aussies, probably coz they are on the other side of the world and they are to far away to throw insults.
    Some say things about the Aussies because of the most mind numbingley boring game ever invented…cricket, and the Aussies are proud they are better than us at it, when most of the country (UK)hates the game and couldn’t care less, it’s an insignificant sport in the world.
    We are football/soccer crazy over here, so the Aussies can say what they like about are cricket team coz we agree, but when it comes to football, we can kick their ass any day of the week!!!
    In fact if you go to a cricket game in England, the only people that tend to turn up are those of Pakistani or Indian origin, as that’s the only sport Pakistan or India are any good at.
    I believe that many Europeans and most British are so uneducated about the U.S, that they still believe Yankee Doodle Dandy is your national anthem!!!
    Squishy

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:

Wow, what is it, roughly two hundred years after the war of independence and there is still a little hostility.

I believe that many Europeans and most British are so uneducated about the U.S, that they still believe Yankee Doodle Dandy is your national anthem!!!
    Squishy

Yankee Doodle Dandy was an old british drinking stune which the revolutionary patriots adapted and sang as a mock national anthem. This was in total was meant to be an a front to the Brittish. Why I don’t know.

I don’t know how American history is taught on the other side of the Atlantic, but over here we call our war for independence the Revolutionary War (1776-1782). But it makes sense that you would call it the Civil War since we were fighting our own country. What we call the (American) Civil war (1860-1865) was fought between the northern states and territories and southern states and territories. It’s occasionally refered to the war between the states.

Many in the southern US still refer to it as the civil war as, The War of Northen Aggression. Many in the south still has ill feelings toward the north. One doesn’t have to venture far away froma major city to see that. Georgia and South Carolina still have the Confederate Flag within their own flag. (Ironically Hawaii has the union jack in theirs, but they never had anything to do with you guys) Talks of succession still happen in the deep south, as well as debating stradegies they should have used to beat off the north. As a matter of fact, 10% of all registered voters in S. Carolina belong ot the successionist party. Of course 10% of voters in Washignton state belong to a cpmmunist knock off party.

Anonymous

Actually in regards to “Limey” I was told that was a reference to the fact English sailors sucked on Limes to ward off scurvy rather than the fact they put it into tea. Was I mistaken?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Actually in regards to “Limey” I was told that was a reference to the fact English sailors sucked on Limes to ward off scurvy rather than the fact they put it into tea. Was I mistaken?

I was about to post the same thing. As for “Yankee,” the etymology is uncertain, but Thomas Anburey, a British officer who served under in the Revolutionary War, derived “Yankee” from the Cherokee word “eankke” meaning “coward,” which he says was applied to the inhabitants of New England by the Virginians for not assisiting them in the war with the Cherokees.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

After the war between the states, the economy of the south was completely destroyed. For the last 150 years, the south has been attempting to recover. Even now, most people in the south are dismally poor.

In the south, who has the money to start a really big business, build a really big factory, or dig a big coal mine? It’s usually a northerner with the money. And labor is cheap in the south because the standard of living is low. And if the business doesn’t look good any more, they leave. This sort of thing does not make southerners happy.

It’s not easy to define the angst of southerners, but economics is a large part of it.

Then there was the interference caused by northerners during the Civil Rights era. Not that it was a bad thing in the slightest. But the fact that change was instigated by northerners was not overlooked. And FYI, racism is a 40-year-dead issue. Today, I’ve noticed that racism is pretty much the same all over the country.

These and other factors contribute to a general feeling of distrust of northerners.

Frankly, I’m sick of the stereotype of people with southern accents. Most television and movie stars feel they have to get rid of their southern accent because of it’s stigma. Case in point, Jennifer Garner of the show Alias. You just can’t be a spy or know how to do anything useful if you have a southern accent. While we’re at it, don’t you have to have an English accent to be a good spy? (Like, ummm…. oh I don’t know, maybe La Femme Nikita?

And one final thing. There’s a saying that I invented many years ago: “There’s no such thing as ‘southern hospitality’. It’s just that northerners don’t got none.” And then when someone tries to correct my double-negative I say, “Screw you, yankee-boy!”

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

dgrequeen
    Participant

Talks of succession still happen in the deep south

I think you mean “secession” as in “to secede”.

And, yes, in some quarters the Civil War is still vividly remembered, in spirit if not in actual memory. Years ago, when my mother came to visit, I offered to take her through an old Civil War house that had been turned into a museum in the town where I was living. She was interested, until she found out it was the boyhood home of General William Tecumseh Sherman. Not only did she refuse to go in, I thought she was going to hit me.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    I think you mean “secession” as in “to secede”.

Oops! Yes that’s what I meant, thanks.

Anonymous

quote:

Yep that’s it, I knew Limes were in it somehow, not much of an insult though is it!?!
    I would have used a word like ‘snob’ to describe the class of people in those days.
    I still think today the Brits get treated as if we all have a stiff upper lip, personally I can’t stand the upper class in this country, luckily they are a dying breed.
    At the moment this country is heavily against the upper class blood sports like Fox hunting, it’s only the crusty old lords, who are completely out of touch, that stop this from being banned.
    But Limey and Pommie is something I could live with.
    What I will never understand is how a small little island could be in so much control of large parts of the globe during the 18th and 19th centuries.
    And when you think that England is not even as big as Texas, it makes you wonder how we have survived, let’s face it without being allied to America, we would have a real hard time defending ourselves!!!
    Squishy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.