Relationships in Sci Fi?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Majikthize
    Participant

Does a relationship between main characters have any place in Sci Fi?

Firstly I apologise if this has been done to death before. I invoke the lazynewbie right of restarting an old topic if so. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Generally I watch a tv series as much because of the way tha characters (all of them) interact, grow and develop as for the stories and technical stuff. I, personally, like the romantic relationship aspect too. I’ve always been a bit of a hopeless shipper, despite my own disgust at being so. However time and time again I’ve felt let down by the writers of the series, who have managed to, almost unanimously mangle every single relationship ever developed by them.
    I cite The X Files as a prime example. I honestly beleived that if anyone could beat the curse of “getting them together” then TXF could do it. In the end they still managed to balls it up big time and I don’t think I can ever forgive TPTB that. ๐Ÿ™
    I still like think it can and will be tackled sucessfully one day. I think Farscape has come about the closest to doing so but yet i’m still slightly unsatisfied by the way that one turned out.
    So I’m torn between saying I like to see it because I think it gives you another reason to watch, and the desire to say they should leave well alone if they can’t suss out how to do it properly.

Whatd’ya think?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Some trekkers are complaining about the evolving relationship between Trip and T’Pol on “Enterprise.” It has me somewhat baffled because I thought there was something developing between her and Archer. And then there’s the issue of her being a Vulcan without emotions who’s not supposed to be attracted to humans, etc., nitpick, etc., nitpick, etc….

The relationship between Delenn and Sheridan on “Babylon 5” was really cool, I thought. It’s plot significance was tremendous.

If I remember correctly, the relationship between Han Solo and “Her Worshipfulness” was left in the hands of the fans. Luke didn’t win that vote, I think. Chewbacca was a darkhorse longshot.

Anonymous

I find consummating a relationship usually drags an open ended series down. The tension of a possible relationship is a much more entertaining plot device. Though I suppose it could get frustrating once you’re seven years into a series……Of course I don’t think any show should run that long anyways. ๐Ÿ™„

elmey

lizard
    Participant

OOOHH good topic! I agree, Flamegrape, that the real chemistry on Enterprise was or is between Archer and T’pal. I think the creators and writers are to afraid and P.C. to go down that road. P.C. because Archer is her boss.

In general, I think most shows cant deal with having relationships consummated, not because it is inherently a dead end in the plot. I think the writers can’t deal with a mature relationship. TV also will NOT deal with the possiblility of ship mates having sex and then not
    “getting married”. RIDICULOUS! Why would anyone still be getting married in the 21st century anyway?? On farscape, maybe when the “girlfriend” of one of the main characters had sex with his son, she thought that she was doing him a favor. The characters are supposed to be from an alien culture so why do they have to act like high school students???

I think sexual tension can continue after people (or creatures) have sex– what it T’paul has sex with both Archer and the engineer??? Oh yeah, that would be “immoral” according to the highschool prom code and this morality cuts across all planetary systems…

man i find it boring!

A -DM
    Participant

I think the best show for keeping a relationship going is Stargate, Jack and Sam, it will never happen but you can still feel the underlying tones of attraction between them both, but the excuse is that they are both military officers and would end up being facing court martial if naughtiness ensued. But how daft is that?, you can’t get more private than gating thousands of light years away from Earth, just pack Daniel and T’ealc off on recon and bobs your uncle!!!
    But Stargate is now only behind X-Files in the longest running series
    stakes and yet we still have the ‘will they, won’t they’ question popping up, so well done SG-1 writers for handling it so well.

ADM

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is the Doctor the Master’s mistress?

A -DM wrote:

…But Stargate is now only behind X-Files in the longest running series stakes…

Hey, what about Dr. Who?

Anyone ever think there might have been some curious attraction between The Master and The Doctor? No? I thought not.

Jennicide
    Participant

what about the buffy/spike thing.

or as my housemate and i call it: spuffy.

spuffy was cool coz it took the vampire / slayer thing a a lot further than they could go with angel. spike never had the fact of losing his soul hanging over his head. in fact while they had a relationship (if you can call it that) he didnt even have a soul.

It brought out a whole new side of spike. or rather, an old side that we hadnt seen for ages. at least not since dru left him. for ages there he was wandering around, he could have compeated with angel for the brooding vampire award he was so boring.

but then the tensions started with him and buffy. i think the best thing that happend in the last ep. was how he recognised that she never loved him, and it was ok.
    i agree with whoever said it (im in the middle of writing an essay, im not gonna bother with quotes and stuff) that morality is different now. you don’t necessarily have to be in love with someone to sleep with them. sex can be its own tension.

however, i dont really think its possible for many, (if any) shows to consumate a relationship and not balls it up. there’s no tension in it. by letting the characters be happy for any length of time people lose interest. I mean, Oz and Willow were perfectly happy – people were losing interest though.

A -DM
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Is the Doctor the Master’s mistress?

A -DM wrote:

…But Stargate is now only behind X-Files in the longest running series stakes…

Hey, what about Dr. Who?

Anyone ever think there might have been some curious attraction between The Master and The Doctor? No? I thought not.[/quote]

I read this about SG-1 and I think they don’t include shows like Star Trek or Dr Who because of their different incarnations, whereas SG-1 and X-Files have used the same cast throughout or near as dammit.

ADM

A -DM
    Participant
    Jennicide wrote:

what about the buffy/spike thing.

or as my housemate and i call it: spuffy.

spuffy was cool coz it took the vampire / slayer thing a a lot further than they could go with angel. spike never had the fact of losing his soul hanging over his head. in fact while they had a relationship (if you can call it that) he didnt even have a soul.

It brought out a whole new side of spike. or rather, an old side that we hadnt seen for ages. at least not since dru left him. for ages there he was wandering around, he could have compeated with angel for the brooding vampire award he was so boring.

but then the tensions started with him and buffy. i think the best thing that happend in the last ep. was how he recognised that she never loved him, and it was ok.
    i agree with whoever said it (im in the middle of writing an essay, im not gonna bother with quotes and stuff) that morality is different now. you don’t necessarily have to be in love with someone to sleep with them. sex can be its own tension.

however, i dont really think its possible for many, (if any) shows to consumate a relationship and not balls it up. there’s no tension in it. by letting the characters be happy for any length of time people lose interest. I mean, Oz and Willow were perfectly happy – people were losing interest though.

I find it amusing that so many want to see a relationship in a series blossom, but then get bored of it in no time, it’s a good thing if a series is coming to an end because there is nothing too worry about if it goes pear shaped, but trying to get a romance going with main characters is suicide if the series looks to run for several seasons.
    The smart thing with Whedon is that he always made sure the romances ended in disaster, so the slate could be wiped clean and a new love interest could pop up for Buffy, Xander and Willow and even very rarely for Giles, this show was never going to have a long term romance and that’s why it remained fresh for so long.

ADM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.