Remakes…..

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 19 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shiroekitsune
    Participant

Hoping for a short post here….

OK, the other day I happened to watch Rollerball (1975), now I know it has been on tv off and on for years but I was never into wanting to watch it or understand it (too young basically) till now, I only got to see about half the movie before having to leave the house but I got a good enough grip of the plot. Needless to say I am not wanting to finish watching this old relic of an outdated movie.

Soooo, the complaint I am having it that I remember seeing the remake of Rollerball (2002) and it for the most part sucked (if I remember right), but not only that it wasn’t the same movie….meaning how can it be a remake if the key plot isn’t in it! The fact the it’s a future doomsday movie, it you don’t know what I am talking about go see 1984 or fahrenheit 451, there are many others too….remember short post.
    Anyways I hate the fact that hollywood ppl think that the public is stupid mentality! I want more Doomsday movies!

theFrey
    Participant

The worst remake I have ever seen was the Three Musketeers movie with Charlie Sheen and Keifer Sutherland. As a teen, I remember going to the movies and then later watching on TV and VHS the series of Musketeer movies filmed with Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Michael York and of course Charlton Heston as Richelieu. They were excellently filmed, located, cast, costumed and written. I still laugh thinking about Richeieu at the very end, doing that little “One must be careful what one writes, and of course who one gives it to” speech. His little mental note to himself and then the weary little wave off of Michael York still cracks me up. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

I was shocked when theBrother reported that the ’93 remake SHOULD have been Called D’Artagnan’s Excellent Adventure, but after seeing it I did have to agree.

While I admit, I have seen many “Excellent Adventure” movies in my life, I still maintain that this one was the worse. Not only did not build upon what came before it, but also managed take an adventure story that has definitely stood the test of time and make it boring and trite and not the least bit funny.

MuadDib
    Participant

Don’t get me started on the “Italian job” remake!
    ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Sidhecafe
    Participant

2 words:

Solaris remake

grrrrrrrr…. ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก ๐Ÿ˜ก makes me an angry little faerie….

MuadDib
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

2 words:

Solaris remake

Too true, that was a travesty of the original!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Sidhecafe wrote:
    2 words:

Solaris remake

Too true, that was a travesty of the original!

MuadDib, I couldn’t even watch the rest after I realized what they had done with the wife’s charcater (can’t think of her name right now)….turned it off and returned the rental.

The original’s DVD is amazing and has an interview with the original actress. Watching her years later was amazing, taklking about Russian filmmaking…and Stanislaw Lem.

MuadDib
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

turned it off and returned the rental.

Have you ever seen what happens when you put a DVD in the microwave? It really is quite informative.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can’t bring myself to watch the Clooney Solaris flick. Loved Tarkovsky’s Solaris film and Lem’s story.

Anyway, there are sooo many bad remakes/reimaginings.

Here’s another “classic” remake that’s in the works… The following quoted from Dark Horizons

————————

Paul Anderson Joins The “Death Race”
    Posted: Tuesday March 22nd, 2005 8:53am
    Source: Now Playing Magazine
    Author: Garth Franklin

“Alien vs. Predator” and “Resident Evil director Paul W. S. Anderson will write and hrlm Paramount’s “Deathrace 3000,” a remake of the cult Roger Corman pic “Deathrace 2000” reports Variety.

The Paul Bartel-directed original is considered a B-movie classic, a campy and polemical black comedy that pitted David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone in a race where drivers accumulated points for running over pedestrians. Anderson’s got a different vision, planning a mix of “Road Warrior” and road kill.

“The original was so much about decimating pedestrians that the actual race was almost irrelevant, and I want to restore that. Set in 2020, ours is an ultraviolent, no-holds-barred race with heavily armed Escalades, Ferraris and Aston Martins” said Anderson.

He is soon set to produce an adaptation of the vidgame “Dead or Alive,” which starts production in six weeks. He’s also writing a third “Resident Evil” film, and developing Sony’s “Man With the Football” but it’s expected “Death Race” will go into production sooner rather than later.

—————————————————————————-

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.