Return of the King troubles

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Return of the King troubles

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Beebop -bel
    Participant

I cant belive what im about to say……..

I am gearing up to be heavily disapointed by the last LOTR movie! ‘gasp!’ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

How the heck(thats putting it mildly!) can they fit bk 3 and half o’ book 2 in 3hrs??? can someone soothe a troubled mind??
    ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Also whats the deal with Aragon and Narsil in TT? Has Narsil been reforged?? But theres no mention of it in the last 2? not evn the extended! ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

enough whinning for now…..

Anonymous

The pushing some of Two Towers into Return of the King bothered me at first, but then my brother pointed something out…

Return of the King is actually only about half as long as the other books, because about half of it is appendices. So PJ probably decided the actual story material wasn’t enough for a 3 hour movie.

It disappointed me that Two Towers didn’t end the way it does in the book, though…the ending is so abrupt and leaves you hanging so badly…I wanted to hear screams of frustration form people who didn’t know how it was going to turn out. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

I don’t know about the Narsil thing…I think they would have let us know if he’d recieved it before, so I’m guessing he’ll somehow get it in the third book.

Anonymous

Personally I feel that the Two Towers was the weakest of the Tolkien books. I watched the film wondering if I would be as bored as I was with the book (I’m someone who fell asleap during the last Star Wars film (barbarian!).

I watched the film with my mouth agog! I thought it was very well done and although not exactly as the book (and the trees were far too lame for my liking) I thought it was facinating and wonderfully portrayed.

My mouth is now watering in anticipation of the final chapter. ๐Ÿ˜€

And yet, among my friends I am in the minority. My father (chief SadGeezer of considerable sci fi geekiness repute) is a hard sci fi fan and can’t even bring himself to watch the film (I bought him the dvd of the first film just to see!). Friends are dissinterested and only one dude (a D&D DM) thought as me and NewKate.

We feel very much in the minority!

Anonymous

Really? My friends and I are all pretty hardcore Tolkienites and we all loved it…and my friends would definitly be honest and harsh if they had problems with it.

Beebop -bel
    Participant

Have no real prob with the first either. I even watch all the parts were poetic license was abundant with not as much as a moan. We walked out of the TT saying “When did Aragon ever fall of a cliff?” but on the whole Pete Jackson made 2 very good MOVIES

One thing though….Haldir…..do elves have 5oclock shadows?? ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was, and still am, a huge Tolkien fan — have read many of Tolien’s books and essays, and must have read LOTR from cover to cover at least ten times (though not for quite a few years) and I liked The Two Towers the most. I loved Frodo and Sam’s journey in that book — wonderful pacing, which was even plodding at times, but really captured their arduous, tortuous and sometimes magical trek.

I have been resistant to seeing the films at all, as the movies look too hyperkinetic for me. It was the slower parts of the books that really absorbed me. I actually did see FOTR on a very badly made VCD (shot in digicam in a cinema) in the Philippines, and this, no doubt, tainted my movie experience considerably. But, really the fast-paced editing of it (action scene quick cut to more action), really spoiled the magic of the books for me. Too much, IMHO, was crammed into way too little time.

BTW, I have admired the director, Peter Jackson, for several years — particularly for Heavenly Creatures. And who could ever forget Bad Taste, or Brain Dead?! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜› I was really surprised, and rather pleased, to hear that he’d be helming LOTR for the screen.

Peter Jackson Stuff[/url]

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I LOVED the first movie… hated the second. I found the second movie so boring. I hope the third movie does stick to the book, and not just end when the ring is destroyed.

I watched the first movie about 3km from where Tolkien was born here in South Africa.

Flamegrape
    Participant

lexxrobotech
    Participant

You lost me flamegrape?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    lexxrobotech wrote:

You lost me flamegrape?

According to Flamegrape, here, it’s an Elvish name for Xenia Seeberg (who plays Xev in LEXX season’s 2,3, and 4).

lexxrobotech wrote:

I hope the third movie does stick to the book, and not just end when the ring is destroyed.

Interesting thought, that would be a typical Hollywood ending. I rather expect that there will only be a short, probably partially narrated epilogue after the ring is destroyed which will include the coronation, and a gut-wrenching song by Phil Collins (or possible U2 or Metallica) about the heroic hairy footed one called “Frodo of the nine-fingers: He may be short, but he kicked some ass.”

I bet they’ll leave out all of the Shire stuff at the end (Saruman’s pettily evil deeds, and the hobbit’s fight back), which would upset me a bit since it has a great environmental, anti-industrial message.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Thank you Logan!

I hope that TROTK is better than TTT. The end of the Lord of the Rings is what makes it so epic. The last ends and so on make you feel like you were a part of the hole thing. You know what happens after ect.

Beebop -bel
    Participant

Ive heard the the ROTK is going to be at least 4 hours and will have the grey haven ending!!! yah

I found some pics for the ROTK but dont worry they not really spoiler material!

http://www.stormfront.org/threads/topic/51129.html

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/news/printnews.asp?4436

http://www.risfc.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=249

If anyone has found more please share!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.