Role Playing Gamers?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Role Playing Gamers?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Camarilla
    Participant

Are there any RPGers here?

Anyone who does any Live Role playing games?

Or Warhammer?

Or even Munchkin?

I play Vampire: The Masquerade 😈 and Im planning to play more games of that kind..

-Camarilla

fluffy bunny
    Participant

Welcome aboard.

Answering your call- though technically I’ve not done any roleplaying for 8 or 9 yrs now due to other commitments.

Besides, pen and paper RPGs went downhill since the demise of TSR. Wizards of the Coast took over some of the good ones- AD&D, Call of Cthulu and the star wars RPGs and proceeded to rubbish em up using their crappy D20 system. Warhammer RPG fortunately seems untouched as are the white wolf stuff (vampire, werewolf, mage, wraith)- very plot orientated. Dunno if Birthright’s still around, but that was good, and not quite hack and slash here there and everywhere. GURPS seems to have encompassed a lot of the other RPGS- conspiracy X, traveller, the white wolf stuff. (take my words with a pich of salt since I’m out of date at the mo)

Computer RPGs are alright, but lack the cameraderie around the table which is part of the appeal. Add to that the number of lazily designed RPGs out there- kill monster get leveled up and equipped with better weapons, kill bigger monsters etc.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Dungeons & Dragons. I’ve played that since about 1980. Now if I can only figure out how to break this Satan-worshipping habit. 😈

Generic Universal Roleplaying System. I’ve played that since about 1987. I was in the process of writing my own all-encompasing role-playing game when I discovered GURPS.

I tried Vampire: The Masquerade in the mid-1990s but I was bored to tears by the Game Master who insisted on tons of role-playing and no use of skills, combat or anything that involved the aquiring of experience points or level advancement.

BTW, if you like Vampire: The Masquerade, be sure to see the movie “Underworld.”

I’ve decided that the no-maps/all-talk role-playing games are unsatisfactory and I’ve decided to go back to using miniatures and maps in order to bring back that wargaming feel. I’ve been running D&D games lately using the 3rd Edition rules and I’ve been pretty satisfied.

Camarilla
    Participant

Underworld huh?

Im gonna keep my eyes open for that one!

I have just started to play Vamp so I dont really know if that is gonna be a problem….hope not. Im very fascinated by the World of Darkness.

I have actually never played D&D….
    I must be the only nerd in the world who hasent played it…

But what do you think about miniature games?

Anonymous
    ”fluffy wrote:

Dunno if Birthright’s still around, but that was good, and not quite hack and slash here there and everywhere.

Unless there was some other RPG product I’m not aware of, Birthright was a setting for the old edition of D&D (technically “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition” then), not a game unto itself. Although it did have its own mediocre mass combat system.

Rag
    Participant
    Camarilla wrote:

I have just started to play Vamp …..
    Im very fascinated by the World of Darkness.

I heard recently that White Wolf are binning Vamp either at the end of this or next year (can’t remember which). Want to go out on a bang rather than a whimper, I was told.

So it might be worth getting yer hands on the source books sooner rather than later.

Dunno how reliable the source was though. Sayin that, she did seem to know her stuff. Yeah, ok… I was anoraking with a stranger.

Anonymous

Never tried pen and paper stuff, but been playing CRPGs since 79 when a 4 year ol’LexxLurker hopped on his fathers mainframe terminal to play “Adventure” which was written ironically by Microsoft under IBM before the split.

Since then I’ve played so many CRPGs they are a blur. But I loved the early 80’s CRPGs like the Ultima and Zork series, as well as “Wasteland”. In the 90s Might and Magic was my favorites, played that from 1 to gawd, until it sucked, around #6-7, same with Wizardry, played that to #7.

Recently CRPGs have really died out, the last series I can remember really being any good was Brian Fargos “Fallout 1&2” and “Baldurs Gate”. I resorted to playing MUDs for about 5 years in the mid 90s, now I probably buy 3-4 games a year there just isn’t much that interests me anymore =/

If you have any recommendations for CRPGs I’d love to hear em!

Anonymous
    Rag wrote:

I heard recently that White Wolf are binning Vamp either at the end of this or next year (can’t remember which). Want to go out on a bang rather than a whimper, I was told.

So it might be worth getting yer hands on the source books sooner rather than later.

Dunno how reliable the source was though. Sayin that, she did seem to know her stuff. Yeah, ok… I was anoraking with a stranger.

WW is probably approaching the point TSR was at in the mid-90s – hugely well known poduct, but no one was buying it. My local gaming shop has tons of WW books taking up shelf space.

Camarilla
    Participant

Im talkin about the LARP version of Vampire, that is the way to play that i think seems very interesting.

White Wolf has started something called “Time of Judgement”, there is a cool timer on their website that is counting down towards the point were Gehenna is going to take place…Gehenna being a Final War….like Ragnarok..

But I dont really understand it, are they going to end the game? What about all the people who play it? Are they gonna stop?

Anonymous
    Camarilla wrote:

Im talkin about the LARP version of Vampire, that is the way to play that i think seems very interesting.

White Wolf has started something called “Time of Judgement”, there is a cool timer on their website that is counting down towards the point were Gehenna is going to take place…Gehenna being a Final War….like Ragnarok..

But I dont really understand it, are they going to end the game? What about all the people who play it? Are they gonna stop?

They’ll likely end the official timeline and start over at some point (or just create a post-WoD setting). And many people will probably stop playing if the Camarilla (here talking about the player’s guild WW has created to support the game, not the in-game organization) stops for any length of time. Those running non-affiliated games will likely go on.

The wording of the press release implies it’s just the “modern” WoD setting that’s going away.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.