SadCAST – Episode 6 Shownotes – News and Reviews

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums SadCAST SadCAST Shownotes SadCAST – Episode 6 Shownotes – News and Reviews

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The show was recorded on July 7th 2006. Me and Newkate, Headgehog, Faldor an Hollydays took part.

Items discussed were:

Scanner Stars Hammed it up!
    A Scanner Darkly director Richard Linklater told SCI FI Wire that his stars reacted differently to the idea that their performances would be rendered in animation, as in his 2001 movie, Waking Life. “I really never talked about the animation with you,” Linklater said in a news conference with stars Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder. “I don’t think it mattered to either of you; you just played it like you would have anyway. But I think that Woody [Harrelson], Rory [Cochrane] and [Robert] Downey [Jr.] pumped it up a little bit. They used it and made it over the top.”
    As in Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly is animated through a laborious process called “interpolated rotoscoping,” in which computers are used to help draw animation over live action. Did it affect Reeves? “It didn’t,” he said. “I don’t know. No.” A Scanner Darkly opens in limited release on July 7 and expands into more theaters on July 28.

{A video clip of the film is shown}

Richards Confirmed For Pirates 3
    Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards looks set to play Johnny Depp’s father in the third Pirates of the Caribbean film, a fitting role for the man upon whom Depp based the character of Captain Jack Sparrow, the Reuters news service reported. “We’re all looking forward to the idea of Keith coming in and doing a cameo, and it’s looking very, very good,” Depp told reporters on July 4, the day after the upcoming sequel film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dean Man’s Chest had its London premiere, the wire service reported.

This was actually cut from the show but Newkate did a brief review of the film and explained why she liked it.

Agyeman Confirmed

BBC have formally announced that Freema Agyeman will be the new Dr Who companion (chamethey can’t change David Tennant) I know we already did this, buit it’s nice to know that it’s confirmed now.Freema Agyeman has been named as Dr Who’s new sidekick, replacing Billie Piper.

This was also cut from the show as it was covered last week (only difference was last week it had not been confirmed by the BBC)

Recomendations by Holly
    Hollydays was very impressed by the films ‘Cars’ and recently ‘Over the Headge’ (which she feels should be seen because it has ‘Mr Sci FI’ William Shatner in it)

Harry Potter may perish in last book, author hints

Harry Potter may perish in the final installment of the boy wizard series in which two main characters die, author J.K. Rowling hinted in a television interview.

JK Rowling said she was well on the way to finishing the eagerly-awaited seventh Potter book. “I wrote the final chapter in something like 1990, so I’ve known exactly how the series is going to end,” she told a chat show on Channel 4 television.

“The final chapter is hidden away although it’s now changed very slightly. One character got a reprieve. But I have to say two die that I didn’t intend to die,” Rowling said. “A price has to be paid, we are dealing with pure evil here. They don’t target extras, do they? They go for the main characters — well, I do.”

Asked whether one of the casualties would be Potter himself, Rowling said she had never been tempted to kill off the magician before the finale. At the same time, she added: “I can completely understand, however, the mentality of an author who thinks, ‘Well I’m gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author written sequels. So it will end with me and after I’m dead and gone they won’t be able to bring back the character’.”

The author said she did not want to commit herself either way on Potter’s fate, telling interviewers Richard Madeley and Judy Finnegan: “I don’t want the hate mail, apart from anything else.”

Faldor’s Review
    Faldor produced an excellent review of the piece submitted to Paramount by JMS (of Babylon 5 fame) to try and resurect the Star Trek TV franchise with the workup of an idea for a new series called ‘Star Trek – Reboot the Universe’

US Box Office (About.com) (Headghog)
    Superman Returns – $52,150,000 ($84,208,000) – not good for a $300 million flic
    The Devil Wears Prada – $27,000,000 ($27,000,000) – much better than expected
    Click – $19,400,000 ($77,918,000) – pretty much in the profit zone now
    Cars – $14,035,000 ($182,056,000) – doing well ๐Ÿ™‚
    Nacho Libre – $6,186,000 ($64,959,000) – doing well ๐Ÿ™
    The Lake House – $4,510,000 ($38,735,000) – not hot
    The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift – $4,432,000 ($51,666,000) – making money
    Waist Deep – $3,312,000 ($15,175,000) – nice
    The Break-Up – $2,830,000 ($110,069,000) – Jennifer’s got moxey
    The Da Vinci Code – $2,300,000 ($209,793,000) – wow
    Tuesday July 4, 2006

Emmy Nominations (Headgehog)
    Alias -2 nods BSG – 3 Lost – 8 Smallville, Supernatural, Surface, Atlantis

There was also a debate about the pronunciation of Dune.

Should it be pronounced Doon or Dewn
    viewers were asked to help decide. Send us an email to sadcast at sadgeezer dot com.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Rats!

I’ve missed another one.

I really would have liked to been in this episode. I thought the show was really cool. The audio was a little bit broken in places, but I think we can get that fixed.

Faldor – Your bit was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. I think the team is really starting to come together and feed off each other quite nicely.

Lets keep it up.

PS Saddy, well done, you’re really putting a lot of effort into this. It is much appreciated.

Faldor
    Participant

Cheers Rory! ๐Ÿ˜€

had a bit of trouble with the keying on the full res vid but compressing it down has sorted that out ๐Ÿ™‚

when i said “last week we spoke about this” i wanted Saddy to put in a flashback to last weeks show but must have forgot to include that bit ๐Ÿ˜›

nice to know people like my little bits anyhow ๐Ÿ™‚

maybe some of you others can sort out your own sections ๐Ÿ˜‰

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I’d love too… but my technical skills in that regard could be compared to that of an Australian fruit bat.

Faldor
    Participant

what skill?

point camera press button put into computers ๐Ÿ˜›

ok so you might need to point it a few different ways and say the same thing but its easy ๐Ÿ˜›

Anonymous

Yep, Faldor’s right!

I was so inspired to do a green screen thing after seeing Faldore’s piece on Star Trek Reboot, that I checked out my vid editing software and find that they don’t call it complicated stuff like chroma key or ‘green screen’ technique, but simply ‘overley’ in it takes seconds to do!!!

Not to take anything off the great stuff Faldor does, but I’ve found so far that the hardest part of video editing and producing a video podcast is actually starting it ๐Ÿ™‚

Hollydays
    Participant

hahaha – fruit bat ! Yep – I’m in that category too….

“oh, it’s so easy to warp the space/time continuum” says the Vorlon to the fruit bat….

Anonymous
    Faldor wrote:

Cheers Rory! ๐Ÿ˜€

…when i said “last week we spoke about this” i wanted Saddy to put in a flashback to last weeks show but must have forgot to include that bit ๐Ÿ˜›

Ahhh, was that what the head turn was. Sorry dude, I couldn’t remember. Damn, it sounds so obvious now you explained that there should have been a flashback :/

Hollydays wrote:

”oh, it’s so easy to warp the space/time continuum” says the Vorlon to the fruit bat….

You’d be amazed how easy it is once you’ve had time to play with it.
    Really, you only need to do it once and it quickly becomes fun and easy.

Wow, I sound like a sex manual ๐Ÿ˜€

Hollydays
    Participant

Hmmm- “The Sadgeezers Guide to Sex, Life and Everything”

๐Ÿ˜†

Possible chapters anyone?

Faldor
    Participant

well it would have to have a section on the best places to find quality sci-fi costumes and a list of the most effective, vorlon for example is not. ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous
    Hollydays wrote:

Hmmm- “The Sadgeezers Guide to Sex, Life and Everything”

๐Ÿ˜†

Possible chapters anyone?

I’m still on the sex chapter.

Speakin g of which, some guy emailed me and asked if I’d link his site to mine coz he has a book about sex for geeks – his site is sadbastards.com

Cheek!!

Anonymous

Oops, I mean http://www.thesadbastard.com/

Good greif! There are just so many Sad Bastard sites!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.