SadGeezer.com – BUG REPORTS

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Announcements/New Stuff SadGeezer.com – BUG REPORTS

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    SadADMIN
    Keymaster

As you know, the sadgeezer.com website has undergone a MAJOR overhaul and lets face it, it’s a bit scary! Most of the features work fine, but there are still a few niggly bugs in the system. Unfortunately, there are over 1000 web pages, 25000 SadBOARD posts and 2,500 program files on this site and I can’t seem to get my head around all of them ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you come up against a problem, please could you post a short message on this thread giving some details, then I’ll see it and do something about it. There are very few problems that can’t be fixed – the hardest things is finding them in the first place. For instance, this is one that was recently brought to my attention in another post:

”Bekka” wrote:

oh and the script error buttons keep popping up when i move pages โ—

I’m looking into it now. It seems that a small ‘Error on page’ tag is placed on the bottom right hand corner of the browser window (IE 5+). I’m not sure why it’s there, but it dissapears after a few seconds (when the page has fully loaded). SadBOARD is now one of the most powerful BBS systems in the world (not designed by me of course) and has lots of javascript and PhP programmes that run in the background running all the features. I think some of these conflict. I’ll check it out and post a reply here when I find the problem. – Thanks Bekka

SadADMIN
    Keymaster

I think it’s a javascript error. I noticed that the mouseovers don’t work on the SadBOARD (it uses a different template). I don’t get the error on any of the other pages outside SadBOARD, so I’ll try and fix the mouseover problem and hopefully that will fix the Error on Page message.

theFrey
    Participant

When someone posts to my forums it is not sending the post to my email.

Also I can not see the moderators forum link.

SadADMIN
    Keymaster
    theFrey wrote:

I think that one is now fixed.

I’ll now try the moderator notification thingy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

i’m getting that ‘error on page’ icon. looks like you’re already on that one. however (don’t know if this is just me), i had another prob. when i received an e-mail notifying me of a response to my Columbia thread, i tried clicking on the link, but all i kept getting was that windows page ‘this page has expired’ (hope you know which one i mean!). i then tried to get on the site through my ISP, off my favourites list. took bloody ages to load, then i had probs logging in (like when i tried to click on the link). apologies if it’s just my stone age computer…

Anonymous

Oki, I’ll look into it ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

tried to use the links of my e-mail again tonight. got ‘This page cannot be found’. got onto the site by going onto the Net proper & using my favourites list. logged in ok ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
    ”snooklepie” wrote:

tried to use the links of my e-mail again tonight. got ‘This page cannot be found’. got onto the site by going onto the Net proper & using my favourites list. logged in ok ๐Ÿ™‚

The email links ae coming in as

http://www.sadgeezer.com/modules.php?foo

when they should be

http://www.sadgeezer.com/html/modules.php?foo

Probably just a configuration setting somewhere, for site root.

bonnee
    Participant

For some strange reason, I’m able to post again. ๐Ÿ˜› Almost as strange are Squish’s postings – they now seem to bear the heading of ADM ๐Ÿ’ก

Anonymous

???? just tried to post something on the COSMOLOGY thread, it said there was an error in posting, i wasn’t logged in anymore (looks like i was chucked out!!!)-i’ve just had to log back in again. what happened there?

fluffy bunny
    Participant

Clock needs fixing- 6hrs slow

Headgehog
    Participant
    ”fluffy wrote:

Clock needs fixing- 6hrs slow

It sounds to me that you’re set to the central time zone. This problem and others are explained in the SADFAQ section.

For this problem it says:

The times are almost certainly correct, however what you may be seeing are times displayed in a timezone different from the one you are in. If this is the case you should change your profile setting for the timezone to match your particular area, e.g. London, Paris, New York, Sydney, etc.

But if you want to get really technical about it. The sadbaord clock is only a few seconds slower then the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) which is the official clock for the US government and as such the entire country.
    (However it takes a few seconds to load the entire page so its probably right on time) Incidently the US Armed Forces uses the clock from the National Naval Observatory outside Washington. England uses the clock at the Greenwich Observatory. Of course all three of these clocks read the exact same time. Technically speaking the Naval Observatory clock is the most accurate, since it regularly checks itself against known pulsars. Still all three clocks won’t lose or gain a second in several thousand years or more!

fluffy bunny
    Participant

um in profile, it says gmt, which i should be on- happened on changing servers

Anonymous
    bonnee wrote:

For some strange reason, I’m able to post again. ๐Ÿ˜› Almost as strange are Squish’s postings – they now seem to bear the heading of ADM ๐Ÿ’ก

I’m not sue about that one – it’s not been reported to me.

HOwever. The old UBB forum had the facility of haveing a real name and a nickname. This forum system (phpBB2 – modified) only has the Nick firld. Therefore some people have only been able to display thir real names and not their nicknames.

This problem can be fixed, but only by me. If you would like to change your Nick, please email me with the new Nickname and a new password (I have to change the password also – but you can go back and change that again yourdelf).

Hope that’s clear enough.

Anonymous
    ”snooklepie” wrote:

I think there are about four notification systems and all were sending to the wrong page ๐Ÿ™

I’ve managed to fix the moderators and email notify ones, still looking for other occurances – but your problem should be fixed now.

If you have any more problems, please post another message here.

Thanks

Anonymous
    theFrey wrote:

When someone posts to my forums it is not sending the post to my email.

The moderators link and post notification email links should now be fixed,

Also, I have changed the last 10 posts block on the main page as you requested. I didn’t have any space to put the forum name, but you should now notice that if you leave the mouse over the title of the post, it should now display the name of the forum.

Best I could do sweetie, only took me a month! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
    ”snooklepie” wrote:

???? just tried to post something on the COSMOLOGY thread, it said there was an error in posting, i wasn’t logged in anymore (looks like i was chucked out!!!)-i’ve just had to log back in again. what happened there?

It was probably one of three things none of which were your fault.

1. Server problems. My ISP have changed servers again and they are having some problems ๐Ÿ™ … again ๐Ÿ™

2. Re-boot. The server may have been re-booted. WHen this happens (usually during very busy periods) it throws everyone out and they have to log in again. This is why the ISP changed servers :/

3. You were logged in for more that two hours with low activity (ie. you didn’t post anything or visit any pages). This is a security thing and I can’t for the life of me find it so I can disable it ?!

That’s the one that gets me. I go away for a brew. Come back a few hours later (day after dinner) happily write a large post and am thrown out!. When I find the function, I’ll disable it.

Anonymous
    ”stormsweeper” wrote:

The email links ae coming in as

http://www.sadgeezer.com/modules.php?foo

when they should be

http://www.sadgeezer.com/html/modules.php?foo

Probably just a configuration setting somewhere, for site root.

THanks dude, helpful as ever. It6 was that well observed little snippet that helped me fix the problem – Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

help! major probs with IE 5 .cannot find page/connection to server was reset. driving me nuts. every page. go back on the browser, try to reload page – sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. let me know if it is me- before i try to remove IE5 & clog up my computer with IE6. will go on bf’s computer tomorrow. if do not log out tonight, have chucked computer out of window….

Anonymous

I’m not sure about that one. It could be the IE5 but I doubt it!? I don’t remember seeing that problem before.

This evening I had to register another ticket with the ISP. I wasn’t able to get FTP access and pages were taking around 30-60 seconds to load.

If you experienced your problems earlier this evening, it may have been because the server was screwy…. again ๐Ÿ™

pet
    Participant

I’m also getting that Runtime/ object expected error message, but 2 different times. It’s “line 194” every time I go to a new page on the board. Every time I mouseover the header image there’s a different line number depending on what I try to click to.

Have to back up to click to SadHoo or Sci-Fi downloads, for example, because I can’t do it from the boards.

Is that the same thing everyone else is getting?

(It’s doubtful that’ll help you find the conflict, but I tried, anyway.)

Pet;D

Anonymous

Thanks for the post Pet. I was finally able to fix the problem I think.

There was a javascript error on the pages. It meant that every time someone tried to load a forum page, it displayed the eror message.

In the end I just slipped in a piece of moseover code and I think that has solved the problem. At least, I don’t get the error on page error at the bottom of my web browser anymore.

Hope it’s fixed ok for you (and everyone else) too!

pet
    Participant

Whoo-Hoo! The pop-ups are gone! ๐Ÿ˜€ It worked for me!

Pet;D

Anonymous

????? does this board not like me????? i posted a couple of bits on the 21st (birthday wishes to Cat & DT, and a little bit on my thread on the Philadelphia experiment)- and, as far as i am aware, they were posted at the time- but they seem to have gone!!! ok, i might not have been around much just recently (i’ve been posting and reading stuff on a doggie forum-got a poorly pooch, apart from that, the PMC forum….and LOTS of OU coursework!!!), but i deffo hadn’t forgotten about you guys!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Anonymous

I’ve been having an odd problem with the site:

I’ve been using the Opera browser and had no problems with this site till about a week ago–now it comes up with really screwed up formatting, I can’t log in or reach any of the pages. I’m using Netscape right now and it works, but it’s so effing slow that I don’t really want to bother with it. Any idea what the problem could be and how I can fix it? โ“ โ“

elmey

Anonymous

Wow. that’s interesting! The only thing I can think of that’s different from a week ago is that I recently added the google ads block in the left column (supposedly gives out ads about sci fi or relatred subjects ?!?!)

The google code is a a javascript script, it might be that which is winding up your Opera Browser. I’ll look into it.

Has anyone else had Opera browser problems with this site?

Anonymous

Thanks for trying, but I checked out a couple of things today and I don’t think there’s anything to be done on your end–
    I finally tried the Opera on my husband’s computer and it works fine with this site–he’s got Windows, I have a Mac (hey, there’s lots of things we don’t agree on ๐Ÿ˜• ).
    Now I have a typical computer conundrum ๐Ÿ™„
    –there is a new version of the browser for Mac but I can’t install it because my CarbonLib (what is that? ) is only 1.4 instead of 1.5
    If I knew what CarbonLib is I’d know if I can upgrade or if I’m hopelessly outdated. Do I have to buy a new computer???? This is a laptop, I have been thinking about getting a new desktop….on the other hand the dryer broke a couple of days ago….
    I think I’m going out to buy a lottery ticket.

elmey

Anonymous

Suddenly, the site is working again with my Opera browser–if it’s something you did, Thank You! ๐Ÿ˜› If not, I guess it’s one of those unsolved cyber mysteries.

elmey

Fatguy
    Participant

This has to do with my web site address. I can not seem to be able to enter (~) in the box for my web site. I can type it in, but when it is updated it will show the address minus the ~ , ๐Ÿ™„ . The addresses can be displayed on the board and on my sig., just not under the web site icon….. Any ideas…..

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rem223

Maurice

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.