SadGeezers Guide Portal – Please respond.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff SadGeezers Guide Portal – Please respond.

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

(this message was also posted to the Announcements Forum)

As a couple of you already know, the SadGeezers Guide cult TV Sci Fi is nearing the limit of it’s usefulness as it currently stands.

It started a few years ago as a fansite for Babylon 5 and later LEXX and later, other guides were added.

Now we recieve around 3000 visitors a day loading 10,000 web pages and sucking down aprox. 1 Gigabyles of data.

To improve functionality and provide a better website for you guys, we added a better bulletin board and a news section… But that’s it so far.

There is much more we can do to make the site more useful to you. Some of these things include the development of a polling and voting system and other little features to make your stay here more enjoyable.

The decision to become a portal site was taken at the beginning of the year and we (myself and NewKate) have been looking for the right software to enable us to do this. We think we have found all we need and the folowing new features will be included in the next major re-development:

quote:

Directory and Search Engine
    A Yahoo style Directory system that will enable you to search for external sites that have even more info on whatever sci fi related topic you would consider useful. It will include a rating system and a facility for you to add your own website to the directory – it will be edited by humans and initially contain 2000+ links. It will be accessible from the index pages.

Voting – Polling System
    This will allow visitors to rate a show that has been reviewed and to be able to see (on the same page) how others have voted. It will use a graphical interface and also will have a system to make sure that people can’t vote for a show more than once.

Discussion links to all main review pages
    For each review or biography, there will be a ‘Top Discussions’ box on the page which lets visitors see what is being discussed in each of the related forums.

CGI Chat – and or direct links to on-line chatrooms such as the #lexx.

Simple RPG (role playing games)
    A feature for each of the Guides, it will allow visitors to contribute to a story/script… a paragraph at a time (I’ve seen a few of these and they’re a lot of fun!)

Sci Fi Merchandise
    Links to most of the main sci fi merchandise sites, including opt-in email merchandise information (we will probably use MailTrack which is pretty reputable).

Greeting Cards and Message System
    This will enable you to send people Cult TV Sci Fi related greeting cards for most occasions.

Linking features
    The usual stuff like email this page to a friend and join our mailist and bookmark this page etc.

But – is this the sort of stuff YOU want to see. As a visitor to the Guides, is there anything else that you would like to see that would make your visit more enjoyable? It would be a GREAT help to us to get some feedback on this.

Also, I get emails from people who tell me that the graphics are naff and slow loading – and I get emails telling me that the graphics are great?! What do you think.

Your help would be really appreciated! If you have any views on what you would like to see (or what you WOULDN’T like to see), please post a response.

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited February 19, 2001).]

Anonymous

Those ideas sound great, I’ve never had a problem loading up your site, I use another posting board that is similair to the Sadboard and that takes forever to load.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous

We’ve already got a heap of info for the next generation of budding Lexians, Babylonians, ‘Scapers, Red-Dwarves…etc but I think we’re lacking anything for fan creations. Things like art galleries, fan-fics and the like. Instead of being an info archive we could turn this place into an interactive ‘community’ center of sorts.

A weekly or fortnightly poll would go down well with me. I also like the rpg and search engine ideas.

——————
    Studies show that alcohol is the leading cause of inexplicable rug-burns to the forehead.

Anonymous

…all sounds pretty groovy to me, SadGeezer…fanfics are a good idea, though, I’ve been toying with the idea of a B5 universe fic in my head and I don’t know where in God’s name I would get it posted…help a poor girl with delusions of being a writer out

——————
    Gideon: I thought you said you don’t hold a grudge.
    Galen: I don’t. I have no living enemies. At all.

Anonymous

What is a portal site? I mean, as opposed to this one? I know I should probably look that up somewhere but it’s almost 5am and I’m too feelin’ too lazy. I think these graphics are great. I’m not sure what’s considered slow loading but, coming from webtv to a real computer, I feel like I’m zipping along. I admit, I do enjoy seeing fans’ creativity, fanfiction, artwork, y’know fan stuff! When you become a portal will you still have the fan club stuff?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yahoo and Freeserve are good examples of portal sites, most ISPs have some basic portal that they set as your homepage.

Anonymous

Oh, thanks Cat. So, the Sadgeezer portal could also be set up to offer people homepages, too? That could be a neat thing; to have a sadpage at the sadsite.

——————
    There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling
    complimented when we are called an ass, we are left in doubt. (Twain)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.