SadTV Page… being updated.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff SadTV Page… being updated.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Hi,

The SadTV cartoon and plot summary is almost completed (first draft). Hopefully the page will be uploaded later today.

Graphics are being drawn and concepts and characters should be available for discussion in the next two weeks.

The plot however is by far the most important. The firt thoughts are/will be on the SadTV page shortly and you will notice that they are pretty whacky!!

I guess the main thing to remember is that the toon concerns the development of the ‘SadGeezer’ idea, ie. someone almost fanatical about their fave Sci Fi TV show – but hey! it’s not better than sex!!

There are a number of areas that we have concerns about, the most important being – how do we get sadgeezer types and gamer types and sci fi fanatics (Klingoons) off Earth in the first place. Currently the story is too similar to the Golgafrinchan ordeal.

Yer ideas are not only welcome, but vital! We expect to start producing the first short cartoon in about a month, then it get hoofed round tv studio’s etc.

——————

Anonymous

Uploaded – The page can be accessed at:
    The SadTV page

——————

Anonymous

Sad, this sounds so very kewl, dude! A ship of misfits in space. Well, considering where our political climate is heading in the US, I may have to reserve a seat!
    Sooo, where are the “normal” scifi geeks? The ones who relate more to Assimov or Niven? I’ve been a scifi fan FOREVER, but I found those who liked the ‘hard science’ scifi, fell into some weird twilight category; not quite fantasy freaks and not quite literal science adherents. It’s like, they’d be all for the adventures of the Lexx crew, but they’d also be the first to point out that, Kai couldn’t speak to Squish in outer space because sound requires a carrier and there are none in a vacuum. They’re geeks but not quite freaks.
    They would actually tolerate the more freaky convention types; sorta like they were the older sibs in the scifi realm. And, since they know hard science, they’d be practical! And, because they’d be practical, they wouldn’t be too afraid of the more violent groups because they’d be too useful or they could whip up itching powder to sprinkle in their jock straps! Are ya gonna have some of them on your ship, too? Huh? Huh? (uh, can ya tell this is the scifi group that I relate to? )

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

Anonymous

Good point BC,

However, they are actually supposd to fall into the category of Klingoons – fanatics.

After yer words however, maybe a new category could be considered. My father is like that. He really likes Voyager but cant get into LEXX. Azimov nut. He would look on a Klingoon the same way we would (scary people) but also wouldn’t tollerate mistakes, ambiguities …. or fun 🙂

Naaa BC, yer not like that at all 🙂

——————

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps there should be a clan of nitpickers on board

Anonymous

Oh my word, Sad, you’re right about that. As a gov’t grunt, my tolerance for mistakes and ambiguities is exceedingly high and, tho’ I have been called scary, fun is high on my agenda.

I guess they’d be kinda MacGyverish. (you know, the man who could make a howitzer out of three paperclips and a rubberband?) They’re fanatics that really dig their scifi but, the idea of dressing up like the characters, pretending to be the characters, or learning the entire alien dialect of the characters wouldn’t spin their gyros. That would be a waste of neural bandwidth. And, yes, they can be nitpicks, but not in the killjoy sense of the word. Pretty much, what they tend to do is, take sloppy scifi science and try to make it work in the real world. At least, that’s what I do when I watch scifi. (I kid you not, I couldn’t sleep until I thought of a way for Stan to be alive long enough for Xev to get that key, in ‘Terminal,’ or for people to even stand upright in those cryopods when they’re unconcious (or, dead) In a nutshell, they tend to suspend their disbelief with a grain of salt. Speaking of ambiguities, their natures are very ambiguous. If they were at a party, they’d be the designated drivers. And, if they were also drunk, they’d still be designated, but instead of driving, they’d hide everyone’s keys and make them walk(stumble) home. (Try this only if you can run, very swiftly )
    Hmmm, I think my next job will be as a profiler for the FBI.

——————

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited 01-09-2001).]

Anonymous

Cool post BC. I had to have a think about what you said before I could think of the responce

quote:

Originally posted by BlackCloud:
    I guess they’d be kinda MacGyverish. (you know, the man who could make a howitzer out of three paperclips and a rubberband?) They’re fanatics that really dig their scifi but, the idea of dressing up like the characters, pretending to be the characters, or learning the entire alien dialect of the characters wouldn’t spin their gyros. That would be a waste of neural bandwidth.

Yep, I pretty much agree with that. Some Sci Fi peeps (the Manic Academic types} are freaky and a bit scary and the normal Sci Fi SadGeezers could be the type who enjoy watching a show because it’s generally a good story…. ‘and ok there are a couple of holes in the plot but who cares, he/she has a nice bum so I’ll watch a little bit longer …’ etc.

But

quote:

And, yes, they can be nitpicks, but not in the killjoy sense of the word. Pretty much, what they tend to do is, take sloppy scifi science and try to make it work in the real world. At least, that’s what I do when I watch scifi. (I kid you not, I couldn’t sleep until I thought of a way for Stan to be alive long enough for Xev to get that key, in ‘Terminal,’ or for people to even stand upright in those cryopods when they’re unconcious (or, dead) In a nutshell, they tend to suspend their disbelief with a grain of salt. Speaking of ambiguities, their natures are very ambiguous. If they were at a party, they’d be the designated drivers. And, if they were also drunk, they’d still be designated, but instead of driving, they’d hide everyone’s keys and make them walk(stumble) home. (Try this only if you can run, very swiftly )

The chatracterisation of ‘gamers’ would fit into this more I think. A gamer would be someone with an analytical mind who would not be frightened of playing devils advocate (in any situation) and could enjoy sci fi as long as it followed established formulea (ie. not to confuse subspace anomaly with a quantum singularity) {ewwww, I’ll have to stop swearing}

So far, I see three types of Sci Fi fan.

• A ‘Manic Academic’ scary person that gets soooooo into it that they just HAVE to wear the costume and hairstyle of their fave character.
    • A normal sci fi fan that likes the show and the science but doesn’t get too hung up about it (also sometimes watches for the wrong reasons – eg, appreciation of Xev/Kai’s bum) and
    • A Gamer type, who likes sci fi, is not fanatical about it but does get annoyed when the silly writers make up science just to fit the story, ‘and it’s not a ‘killer flying frizzbee’, it’s an ‘airborn intruder attack vehicle’.

By the way, my input to the character development is just one opinion. The Voodoo animators are the ones who will make the decisions about character types. It’s just that I’ve always felt that the purity tests on this guide missed a personality type. The ones who rated sadgeezer, but were a little bit more. Someone that would argue plots with sadgeezers – and win.

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited 01-13-2001).]

mbedd
    Keymaster

Hey cool- McGuiver rules. He’s done bugger all recently hasn’t he- maybe we could get him to do the voice of Benny T. We could probably get him for £5.00 ,a bottle of meths and a sock to strain it through. Oh yeah, by the way guys- teckies and pedantic types will feature heavily in the stories.

Anonymous

Hah! LOL! You guys are a scream! I gotta say, the manic types must have been put on this planet for the amusement of the other two types, Sad. Some of my college buds were deeply into that D&D stuff; dressed the parts, wore amulets, bayed at the moon, etc. They decided to make me a dungeon master, thinking I’d be impartial, once again overlooking my name,BlackCloud. Hah! It was like having a living entertainment system! Ya gotta love those manic types! I sure did(and, do!).

I should finally have my own supe’d up PC, just in time to dig these groovy toons you’re tunin’ up. (would a pedantic be a dude like that Jerry Lewis soundin’ science geek, in the “Simpsons?”(‘hey lady! with the thick glasses and the lab coat, all in the glavin!!’) “meth and a sock…ha!”

——————

Spite Smith
    Participant

You all just rattle around in your own pits of babble. Diseased. WHY do you all concentrate on the MINDLESS.
    God has no TV- no ‘goggle box’.
    There’ll be wailing and gnashing of teeth. I…….. have my eye on you.
    All your diseased minds are being watched.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    So far, I see three types of Sci Fi fan.

• A ‘Manic Academic’ scary person that gets soooooo into it that they just HAVE to wear the costume and hairstyle of their fave character.
    • A normal sci fi fan that likes the show and the science but doesn’t get too hung up about it (also sometimes watches for the wrong reasons – eg, appreciation of Xev/Kai’s bum) and
    • A Gamer type, who likes sci fi, is not fanatical about it but does get annoyed when the silly writers make up science just to fit the story, ‘and it’s not a ‘killer flying frizzbee’, it’s an ‘airborn intruder attack vehicle’.

I’d have to add a fourth to the list: The Closet Manic Academic. The ones who truly /are/ obsessed with their favorite sci-fi show(s) or book(s) but too ashamed and ‘normal’ otherwise to admit it. The type who sit at home and play online games based on their shows, keep detailed plot outlines and episode summaries, record every single episode, write books for the show they truly intend to get published, etc., but would never be caught dead in a costume or in a convention. Who watch the show religiously and /die/ if they miss an episode (or don’t record it if they don’t have it) but don’t talk about it much to anyone else.

And yes, this is me. I’m an obsessive sci-fi fan (to the point of having several MB of sci-fi writing on my computer) and don’t know what I’d do without my Babylon 5 or Red Dwarf, but again, I’m too embarrased to admit this except to my closest friends.

–Kyrie, who truly needs to just become a SadGeezer so she can have a life.

[This message has been edited by Kyrie (edited 01-27-2001).]

Anonymous

Closet? No, you just outed yourself, oh manic one!

——————

Anonymous

Ahh, yes, but you forget… the Internet gives anonymity. I am perfectly safe to sit at my keyboard and admit to all of you that yes, I am a Manic Academic without having to truly face the social and emotional consequences of such an admission.

I love technology, don’t you?

Anonymous

I know that feeling

I guess that’s why we set up the SadGeezers Guide to start with. The only reason I sign my name at the end of each review I do is because of copyright reasons. I’d be quite happy to stay anonymous.

It gets even worse when the press get hold of the site and write about it. They tend to call me an ‘anorak’ and geeky etc. not cool and sexy

——————

Anonymous

Anonymity? Hmmm, guess I should’ve chosen another name then, huh? Well, with any luck at all, none of my friends will learn I’m leading a double life: Wild mannered gov’t grunt by evening, Geek by night!

——————

Anonymous

For instance, this arrived in today. It’s from a tin-pot little newspaper in South Wales and a silly old dude called Bob Cypher, who writes a column called ‘Anoraks Corner’ It starts off…"APART from the myriad information sites on the net, it never ceases to amaze me how many specialized sites are run by what can only be describe as "net-nuts".

It rates me an 8 out of 10 for the Net Nutters Award and then strangely, goes on to accurately describe the site quite positively. I think the reporter is a SadGeezer in denial. He should come out of the closet and embark on a prescribed treatment of forum discussions about fave TV Sci Fi shows.

He should be:

Glad to be Sad!

——————

Codename 47
    Participant

Hey sad, any chance of a higher quality scan so we ight read it?
    cheers

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Codename 47:
    any chance of a higher quality scan ….

Oki
    http://www.sadgeezer.com/sad-images/article.gif

——————

Anonymous

HAH!!! What an utter jackanapes! I had to laugh reading his article. Poor thing, I bet he got his arse kicked every single day when he was in school. (I would’ve whooped him and I was a pacifist!) Sounds like a simple case of website envy to me and a cry for a sense of belonging. Jealousy is an ugly thing, Bob, and a lack of wonder and imagination is even worse.

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
    —Alexander Hamilton

Blessed is he who has learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate.
    —William Arthur Ward

As long as you keep a person down, some part of you has to be down there to hold him down, so it means you cannot soar as you otherwise might.
    —Marian Anderson

If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.
    —Glenn Clark

Jealousy is all the fun you think they had.
    —Erica Jong

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
    —H. G. Wells

But, here’s my favorite:

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.
    —Fulton J. Sheen

Bob needs to have a cleansing enema, take a chill pill, lighten up, and quit spankin’ his inner-child. As for me…

I’M GLAD TO BE SAD!

——————

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited 02-01-2001).]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.