Scifi and humanity’s destiny

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst Scifi and humanity’s destiny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

If you were to ask me about what I believe humanity’s role in the future is. 48 times of of 52 I’ll tell you that we will colonize the stars. Legions of robots will be available to do all of our grunt work. Of course all of them will follow the 3 Asimov Laws. We will live a life of leisure and fun whilst our technology cooks our food, cleans our homes, and builds everything we need. For day trips we may go to moon or the beaches of Hawaii or the Caymans, screw the Jersey shore! Going to parties on the other side of the ocean will be common place. Other humans will reach out to the stars and visit strange new worlds light years away. Life will be found elsewhere, but I’m not sure if it will be anything greater then fish, bugs and small reptiles. It is our destiny to live lives of fun and relaxation on this world and others.
    Relating my future to scifi, I see something “like” earth 2 or Wing Commander as far as propulsion is concerned. I envision Earth being like that in Babylon 5 as far as how people treat each other and how the government works/treats us (Season 1 and 5 only). I see genetic replication of food like in Sea Quest and growing of replacement organs. Cybernetic implants imho will help us commincate wordlessly in the future. Psionics is great, but I don’t see it happening. But this is all my my own little vison of the future.

But remember how I said 48 times out of 52. Well right now I’m in that other 4/52. Y’see it finals week. Finals week and the previous week I always have a different outlook on humanity. Think amish. Humans weren’t meant to do this ****. **** calculus, screw circuit anaylisis, and up y**rs statics. We were only meant to be hunter gatherers and fling poop at one another like our monkey cousins. Thermal, and fast neutron absorbation coeeficents, who the **** came up with this ****!? We humans were meant to throw rocks and pointy stick at our food, not electrons to keep it safe to eat. Fire was meant to burn us, and maybe cook our food, not make materials harder. And how the hell am I supposed to do a quadruple integral. Come on humans shouldn’t be doing this ****. Anyone else who went to college or is currently in college should secretly have had similar opinions during finals week, if they’re in a technical field.

But in 104 hours and 25 min my opinions will shift back to the former. So I’m rambling right now, typing on another machine that shouldn’t exist. Now if you’ll excuse me I need to bid on something on ebay

Anonymous

MESSAGE BY DGREQUEEN – The original message was deleted to fix an incorrect time stamp)

I believe humanity’s true destiny lies in what kind of people we become. What kind of technology we use, and whatever physical place we choose to go to, are immaterial.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.