SciFi Trivia

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sidhecafe
    Participant

So I’m a recepionist and there’s a dry erase board in the lobby for which I have to come up with a new trivia question each morning.
    Fortunately there’s a bunch of scifi fans in the company so I’ve done Star Wars questions(I’m pretty good at SW Trivial Pursuit), some Star Trek actors questions (which branded me a Trekkie-I’m not particularly) and today it’s

“According to Douglas Adams: What is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything?”

I’m ashamed to say no one has come up with the answer yet. And it’s 11 am.

Anyone have some other good suggestions for a (not too specific) scifi trivia question???

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sci-fi trivia; love it! 😀 These might not be good ones for the office, since they’re probaly not quite general enough, but…

Here are a couple of ones I like (contains massive spoilers — I like those spoiler questions). If you haven’t seen Soylent Green, To Serve Man, and Logan’s Run, then you may wish to avoid closely reading the spoilers. Unfortunately I don’t get the nice black post box to completely obscure them.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Spoilers Ahead! Highlight black text between [answer] and [/answer] to easily view.

What is Soylent Green?

[Answer] “…Soylent green is made of people! You’ve got to tell them! Soylent green is people!” [/answer]

In the Twilight Zone episode To Serve Man, what is the book?

[Answer] “The book, ‘To Serve Man,’ IT’S A COOKBOOK.” [/answer]

And…

According to Logan in Logan’s Run, where is sanctuary?

[Answer] “There is no sanctuary.” [/answer]

M
    O
    V
    I
    N
    G

O
    N

You could try it as a multiple-choice question (probably wouldn’t work well for the office), but might for here (they do it this way in the Sad Guides):

Off the top of my head, and sticking with Hitchhikers…

For a most typical Arthur Dent in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, what would be the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything?

a) 42
    b) a cup of tea
    c) making Perfectly Normal Beast sandwiches (from Mostly Harmless)

I’d say the answer is most stereo-typically b. (how Arthur loves his cup o’ tea), although c. comes a close second (he did describe it as his life’s work at one stage).

Or… Here’s another Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy question: What do you get when you multiply six by nine? …And why?

a) 42 “I always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.”
    b) 54 “We have achieved normality.”
    c) 6 by 9, 69! “Woohoo!” 😛

What is probably the oddest thing in the universe?

a) The Babel fish
    b) Have you looked in the mirror lately?
    c) Some people actually like David Hasselhoff’s songs!

According to HGTTG, what is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have?

a) a map
    b) a thumb
    c) a towel

The Heart of Gold is powered by:

a) the Infinite Improbability Drive
    b) Four Wheel Drive
    c) Rodeo Drive

According to Hitchhiker’s, what is the very worst poetry in the universe? That of…

a) The Vogons
    b) the Asgoths of Kria
    c) Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Greenbridge, Essex.

BTW, have you read Adams Dirk Gently books: The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency? Good stuff, and definitely read his non-fiction Last Chance to See if you get the chance – top of my recommended books list.

I’m a huge Adams fan. 😀

Getting away from specifically Adams territory; an easier one:

How would a Vulcan’s ears be best described?

A) elvish
    B) Bugblatter beastly 😉
    C) silly

The answer is of course C. 🙄

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Hee-hee-hee!!!! 😆 😆

Thanks that was a really great reply, good questions too!!!!

Long live Adams! Wen I read the first 3 books in 6th grade, I asked my teacher if I could use them for my book report. I wish I kept it!!!
    We had to make a mobile.
    So mine had the ships, the sun and the Resturant!!!!

Course then I didn’t get the Ford Prefect joke….being a kid in the States with no knowledge of Ford’s British make cars.

I want to read the Salmon of Doubt…..have you?

Anonymous

lol nice thread.

I loved Hitchhikers. Imo the first 30 minutes of the tv series is some of the funniest cult Sci-Fi in history, on so many levels.

On a similar note, either of you two read Callahan novels, or short stories?

Almost, *almost* as good as HGttG. If not check em out! =)

Sidhecafe
    Participant

What were the mice’s names??? I can’t rememeber t the moment!

Whose Callahan what’d s/he write that’s like Adams?

I loved the series too! I’ll agree with that about the opening. The Vogons were great, and Trillium.

I haven’t even thought about HGTTG in ages, I should just go back and reread the whole thing!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Sidhecafe wrote:

Hee-hee-hee!!!!

Thanks that was a really great reply, good questions too!!!!

Long live Adams! Wen I read the first 3 books in 6th grade, I asked my teacher if I could use them for my book report. I wish I kept it!!!
    We had to make a mobile.
    So mine had the ships, the sun and the Resturant!!!!

Course then I didn’t get the Ford Prefect joke….being a kid in the States with no knowledge of Ford’s British make cars.

I want to read the Salmon of Doubt…..have you?

Yep, Adams spirit and his works will always live on.

I haven’t read The Salmon of Doubt yet, must admit I was avoiding it much as I love anything Adams, or more precisely because I love Adams work so much… But it is something I would really like to read (I enjoyed The Silmarion, also a collection of writings, taken from Tolkien’s notes on Middle-Earth). The Hitchhiker’s chapters (the real Salmon of Doubt in the compilation) should be very cool! 😀

I thought the title kind of ironic in a way. I once wrote a story long, long ago based on Adams style (nowhere near as good, or funny of course) called The Red Herring, and here we have a real Adams one called Salmon of Doubt (I’d kind of like to submit that story here, nostalgia value, but it’s not sci-fi). When I was an aspiring writer, Adams influenced me the most in terms of style and humour. Adams is the master!

Too bad you didn’t keep your book report, would have been fun to post in the Hitchhiker’s forum, I also wrote one, but it was lost to the ether. Ah, but as Slartibartfast would say, nothing is lost forever (think of the Krickit pillars), except for the Cathedral of Chalesm. Who knows, maybe our reports migrated through a wormhole and found themselves on the planet of all those missing ballpoint pens? 😆

By the way, I noticed that my final question could have been better:

What word best describes a Vulcan’s ears?

a) elvish
    b) devilish
    c) “You green-blooded, pointy-eared half-breed!” (Bones).
    d) silly

Still as silly as ever…

{Edited by Logan to add in quote, so my post makes more sense}

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t read Callahan. Thanks, will check it out. 😀 I’m always looking for new, good, and funny stuff to read.

Oh, the mice names are Benjy and Frankie. Gotta love those flying mice! And pan-dimensional beings. 😀

“How many roads must a man walk down?” Answer 42, now that sounds significant.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I carried a towel in my school backpack for years after, probably until I was a sophmore/junior. I have to say, alot of times it came in quite handy! I grew up in an oceanside town, so go figure! 😉

Benjy and Frankie!!! 🙂 nice, an Adams version of Henson’s Waldorf & Statler right?(in a demented way I guess). That’s always a stumper question too: Name the guys in the balcony from The Muppet Show…

I was sitting in a pub in Dublin and that came up across the room.

I love the Vulcan question.

How come no one mistook them for High Elves?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Sidhecafe wrote:

How come no one mistook them for High Elves?

Yeah, it is surprising… A stoned Vulcan is a dead-ringer for a high elf. 😉

Sidhecafe
    Participant

😆 😆 😆 😆 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.