Script and character development

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Script and character development

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

This is all a little hard to explain, but I’ll have a go here and try and make the page fun to read rather than just lots of text (I guess that means it will be edited a lot over the next couple of days)

NewKate and I met with the peeps at Voodoo Multimedia yesterday (in the pub). They have lots of ideas for the SadCartoon and have started the development of characters and story. The problems that we have are as follows:

• How do we develop characters
    • How do we develop short stories
    • How do we develop character interactions
    • How do we develop the Cult TV Sci Fi Universe (life, the universe, and everything (there are 42 of them I think ))

Character Development
    This is happening but it’s got a LOOOOOONG way to go. It’s been decided that the characters will be developed in this forum and that they will be drawn by the Voodoo Multimedia to match the attitude and charisma of the people contributing to this forum.

Not all of the characters will be created, but it’s likely that over the next couple of years a SadGeezers Guide Universe (similar to the Simpsons {in space} will be developed. SadGeezer Members are therefore encouraged to think of a character that they would like to portray in the cartoon series and comic strip and carefully consider how that character would interact with other crewmembers.

Don’t all rush at once however, scenes need to be set and lead characters need to be explained. Take your time, play with the characters that appear in this forum and gradually you will see something that will give you an idea for how the saga can develop and maybe how YOU can interact with the cartoon as a character.

Short Stories
    The first short story will be written and produced in the next few weeks. It’s very unlikely that we will have the opportunity to develop that story since it was decided that you would need to actually see the characters and scenes before you would be able to comment or venture your ideas. There will be a ‘How it all started’ cartoon and a short animated feature produced soon. After this has been released, you will have a much clearer understanding of things and be more relaxed about contributing (at least that’s what we think so far).

Character Interactions
    This will be done primarily in this forum. The animators will interpret the reactions to certain ‘happenings’ and comments in the forum and use these in the development of the story. It may be difficult to understand at the moment, but you’ll get a better idea once things start to happen.

Developing the SadGeezer Cult TV Sci Fi Cartoon Universe
    This is probably the hardest thing to do. If you think about it, we need this done before anything else can be developed (theoretically that is). However, Voodoo Multimedia and the SadGeezers Guide will adhere to a basic story arc (which is pretty huge) and create stories and characters that fall within the arc. We will probably keep the arc secret and let you guys develop your own little part of it (and the short stories), but it will always be the main ‘rule’ that the animators will follow. The ‘arc’ has already been written, we know how the story starts and how it ends, we know most of what happens in the middle and the types of characters that will interact with the main characters. What we don’t know is the details of each of the stories that make up each short cartoon, or details of the characters (except three), or what each short story will be about.

All that is up to you guys

So what’s next
    I’m not going to tell you. All I will say is that it is weird! and that it’s goiing to happen in this forum in the next week or two. The characters and story will ONLY be discussed here and moderators of the other forums have been asked to make sure that all SadTV stuff is directed here.

The SadTV page will report the conclusions of stuff discussed here, or will point people to activities taking place here.

The methodology sounded pretty exciting over a couple of pints in the pub, it will work with only a few people or hundreds – but perhaps the most exciting, is the opportunity for SadBoard members to be a part of it. I am convinced that most of you guys are completely nuts and that, for me, means it will probably be REALLY exciting.

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited 01-12-2001).]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Needless to say.. what the series really needs is a cat

Good enough for Red Dwarf, good enough for us:P

=;‘=

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited 01-13-2001).]

Anonymous

Or a dog

——————

Spite Smith
    Participant

LIZARDS!!!!! You’re all Lizards. Depraved Godless reptiles.

Anonymous

Oooo, geckos, I hope!

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

Codename 47
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by BlackCloud:
    Oooo, geckos, I hope!

Personaly i find troglodytes so much more fun. Sure they may not be reptiles, but anything that models its life on staying in a dark cave with no need for the sunk, has got to be the creature from the animal world that comes closests to a hardcore Sci-Fi geek.
    PS: sorry for typoes and stuff but ranting with a broken colarbone just isnt that easy

Anonymous

Broken collarbone? Owie, that’s gotta hurt. Hope you’re on the mend soon, C47.
    I was reading Mbbed’s comment on the other page and I think it would be neat to have a character that is over-inflated with his/her own self importance and self righteousness. You know, the kind who always points and complains that ‘you people need to clean up your sh*t!’ but always fails to catch a whiff of his own stench? The kind who is quick to point out everyone else’s alleged shortcomings, but is totally incapable of seeing his/her own or offering viable solutions to any problems? He could be like Dr. Smith, but more detestable(if that’s possible). I think we have a fine example right on this board.

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.