season 4 question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

i read in the marty simon interview here that season 4 seems to be based on obvious source material/story, but what exactly? Scooby Do? and why do you think mcmanus has such contempt for his peers/audience? it seems to be that he regrets being involved with Lexx – or that, the show might be beneath us all. perhaps he’s worried that what was once promising is now a bit of stinker (is Stan Down, Xeviour, the Rock, etc) are any indication. What has happened to our show?

Anonymous

Theres nothing wrong with Season 4 as far as I can tell. Its a typical lexx season as far as episode quality goes. Some bad, Some Excellent. Is it because its not in “Space” anymore that you dont like it?

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    i read in the marty simon interview here that season 4 seems to be based on obvious source material/story, but what exactly?

hi wyatt, what i was referring to in the marty interview is that many of the shows from 4 are loosely based on earth television/movies/popular cultural references…which is appropriate since the lexx is taking place on earth…so we have the vampire episodes, xevivor,midsummer night’s dream, apocalexx now, prime ridge and others…of course, there have been more subtle references to other scifi all along in lexx, many of which have been discussed in other threads here…so far i like 4 better than 3 because it is more like 2; more twisted or just outright silly…3 has a different, even darker appeal …as to mcmanus, i do not know if he has contempt for all of lexx and its fans…i think he is not a fan of popular culture (brian says mm does not own a tv, we all know he doesn’t have a computer) but he does seem to read a lot, and of course, play the piano…my take still is that he is burned out, and that overall he prefers the more ‘intellectual’ arts, such as theatre and music, and that he is somewhat embarassed by lexx and some of the excesses of fandom …the only questions i wanted to ask him when i went to hali was in fact “are you glad lexx is over?”, and what, if anything, he would miss about it…of course, i didn’t really get that chance , but it would have gone a long way towards letting him speak for himself

bonnee
    Participant

testing

bonnee
    Participant

One of the things that concerns me about Season 4 is the higher than usual rate of bad episodes so early on – suggesting one of two things: the writers have over extended themselves by allowing themselves a 20 plus season or that they are getting the usual crappy ratio out of the way so they can leave the best to last. Hopefully – but doubtfully – its the latter. Either way, they are relying on a higher than usual good will ratio from its fan base, and run the risk of testing our patience. I’ve actually found myself apologising to people for reccommending it to them

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    One of the things that concerns me about Season 4 is the higher than usual rate of bad episodes so early on – suggesting one of two things: the writers have over extended themselves by allowing themselves a 20 plus season or that they are getting the usual crappy ratio out of the way so they can leave the best to last. Hopefully – but doubtfully – its the latter. Either way, they are relying on a higher than usual good will ratio from its fan base, and run the risk of testing our patience. I’ve actually found myself apologising to people for reccommending it to them

I must admit that as of late I’ve found Lexx to be a little disappointing, I just watched Fluff Daddy, and didn’t much like it.
    MM doing the arty thing was just plain irritating (I was really thankful when Xev ate him!!!), if that’s MM’s contribution to the show, then he certainly has lost his respect for Lexx.
    Most of the eps have been pretty poor, and it’s a shame the beans have let the show go out in this way. Lexx wouldn’t be Lexx if it didn’t have a few bad eps, but there has been too many this season for it to be considered classic Lexx. Even so, it still outshines Farscape and is slightly better than S3, mainly because the eps do have some saving graces.
    But I have been left in the same position as Bonnee, where I’ve recommended Lexx, only for people to ask what I see in it, but I guess Lexx is an aquired taste, and not everyone will see it’s appeal.
    I’m confident that the first part of the season is the worst part, and the rest will live up to the fans expectations.
    But Lexx is the sort of series that leaves you scratching your head the first time round, but when you see the eps again, you begin to pick up things you missed, it was certainly the case with me and the movies and with S2.
    Squishy

Anonymous

its good to see that we can agree Squish-ums

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.