Series 4 episode cuts

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Series 4 episode cuts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

By the way, this is my 13th post and I love it!

Here’s my query: due to the fact that S4 episodes range from 42 minutes to 46 minutes, even in Canada, does that mean that footage , new footage will appear on S4 DVD’s in the future? Aleck, or anyone, do you have any ideas?. Can you shed some light on this for me please?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Fred:
    Here’s my query: due to the fact that S4 episodes range from 42 minutes to 46 minutes, even in Canada, does that mean that footage, new footage will appear on S4 DVD’s in the future? Aleck, or anyone, do you have any ideas?. Can you shed some light on this for me please?

I’d guess yes. Haven’t seen anything from Season 4 (professionally speaking…they haven’t sent any “uncut” screeners our way yet). Whether or not any cut footage will show up as “deleted scenes” or incorporated back into the episodes proper remains to be seen. I’d guess that they’d provide us with the “uncensored” international broadcast version, then send us the snipped footage as separate supplemental bits. But I could be wrong. I do know that they’re taking care to preserve and archive the outtakes and cut footage this season.

–Aleck

Anonymous

By cut footage, do you mean: footage that didn’t make it into the episodes, due to time constraints? I mean, Aleck, Magic Baby was less than 43 MINUTES long! with credits! What gives? Did they stretch their budget making 24 episodes or what? I feel somewhat cheated. Please elaborate if you can.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    By cut footage, do you mean: footage that didn’t make it into the episodes, due to time constraints? I mean, Aleck, Magic Baby was less than 43 MINUTES long! with credits! What gives? Did they stretch their budget making 24 episodes or what? I feel somewhat cheated. Please elaborate if you can.

Well, not being privy to the editing of the episodes, I can’t really say anything with any authority regarding what the cut footage will consist of, or why it is “cut footage.” I’m assuming that some episodes were cut for content, that some were cut to add more commercials, etc. I don’t think that it’s a matter of stretching the budget — as PD has said, “Fluffdaddy” was nearly an hour long before they trimmed it down, so that’s actually a big chunk of money that was spent on footage that won’t see the light of day until the DVD release. While they *have* been spending less per episode this season, I don’t think a difference of 5-6 minutes would make that much difference, budget-wise. What has probably happened, and again this is pure speculation, is that the new terms drawn up for the 4th season (with new investors, as it’s no longer a Canadian/German co-production) have specified that episodes come in at a certain length, which may be shorter than normal. Prior to this, the episodes pretty much ran 48 minutes plus change. Now that new monies are involved, the timing changes.
    Another thing to consider is that editing is a harsh mistress. If, say, some episodes ran over the allotted time period and had to be cut, there’s some careful deliberation that has to go on from a creative standpoint. It’s easy enough to just go in and whack out a 6-minute chunk of footage, but is it going to make any sense? You’ve got to pick and choose and decide what is vital to the episode, and what you can afford to get rid of. If you get rid of a segment, and it’s the only really extraneous bit you can lose without rendering the episode incomprehensible, what if the characters make references to the now-missing events? You have to get rid of those comments, or change them in post-production. What if other minor activites in the episode are related to that edited footage? They’ve got to go as well. All this means that you’ve got running times that differ from episode to episode. The previous episodes were fairly consistent in running times because they had lots of down-time between seasons to get things sorted out in pre-production. Production on this season has been comparitavely rushed (about to the level of a normal US-lensed series), which leaves less time for pre-production, and, I’m assuming, more editing and post-production work, and it’s much less of a pain to remove a few extraneous lines of dialogue or some footage in editing than to do a re-shoot.

That’s my guess, at least.

Like I said, I haven’t seen anything they’re saving for Season 4 releases, and haven’t heard anything about how they want it presented. All I know is that they’ve said that they’ve been saving cut footage for the DVDs.

–Aleck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.