Ships that sing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    corvina
    Participant

Ok so we have Lexx that stared the current batch of organic spaceships Moya etc….and leaving aside ancient formative stories like Jason and The Argo the furthest I can push back this concept is to Ann Mc Caffreys The Ship that Sang. Hal in 2001’s Discovery might be apotential candidate but is more a Ghost in the Machine since the ship is non organic… any one have any thoughts ..

Anonymous
    corvina wrote:

Ok so we have Lexx that stared the current batch of organic spaceships Moya etc….and leaving aside ancient formative stories like Jason and The Argo the furthest I can push back this concept is to Ann Mc Caffreys The Ship that Sang. Hal in 2001’s Discovery might be apotential candidate but is more a Ghost in the Machine since the ship is non organic… any one have any thoughts ..

Babylon 5 had Organic ships. And the Vorlon ships “sang” as well. Ellison, Clarke, and a few others off the top of my head wrote about this in the 50s and 60s. Don’t know how far back it goes.

theFrey
    Participant

And Ships that Search. I really loved the Brain Ship books. Well most of them. There was one planet based one that had something about psi warlocks or some d*mn thing. Yuk.

The the others were excellent. Loved Helga and Hypatia. ๐Ÿ˜€ I even liked Simon. ๐Ÿ˜€

The Ship that Searched was my favorite.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Off the top of my head, Star Trek: TNG had a “singing” organic ship dubbed Tinman in one of my fave episodes. And Star Trek: Voyager also had organic ships (Species 8472).

I remember that there was an organic ship when Pertwee (my fave Doctor) starred in Doctor Who (in the early 70s)… The Claws of Axis.

The various Babylon 5 organic ships are some of the sexiest ships ever to have lived on screen.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

The new cylon raiders are organic, right?

I don’t think they sing, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I could be wrong since, sadly, I missed a lot of BSG, but I thought they were only partially organic. Incidentally, Star Trek: Voyager had biological components (cell pack, whatver they called it, neural networks — made calculating very fast).

corvina
    Participant

Good Morning!

Yeah now I think about it Tinman was a singing ship…and yes it was one of those episodes that remind you just how good Star Trek was..I guess we take good (or sometimes good) TV Sci-fi it for granted these days…I remember too reading in Arthur C Clarkes novel of 2001 that the original builders of the monolith became spaceships when their technology allowed them.

I guess I’m just intrigued by the humanness of planting/extracting/projecting personality into so called ‘lifeless’ matter. Essentially from the word go – the first flint tool – humans have been defined by their technology – I read that the word Cybernetics is from the Greek Kybernetes – helmsmen – so we have that old ship connection again – remember how James Kirk and Scotty would wax lyrical obout their ship. It’s a short step to actually bringing the ship alive!

Oh yeah remind me about the Vorlons – a great name – but I’ve forgotten their location..Babylon 5 maybe?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.