Sid Haig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TrimKlip
    Participant

Have any geezers out there ever heard of or seen the actor Sid Haig before? I ask because I recently saw “House of 1000 Corpses” and thought he was great as Captain Spaulding.

I don’t know why this movie was ridiculed so much, I liked it! It’s definitely a B-movie, but I went into it expecting that. It’s directed by Rob Zombie, what else would you expect?

Anyways, I wanted more of Captain Spaulding. I think Sid is a B-movie icon, but I’m not sure.

If anyone knows it has got to be Logan (the guy has seen EVERYTHING)!

TrimKlip
    Participant

Well…maybe not everything. ๐Ÿ˜€

Horror fans, check out House of 1000 Corpses! I think you’ll like it.

Anonymous

If it’s any help I just checked out IMDB and found these other films he’ s been in.

Jackie Brown (1997) …. Judge
    Boris and Natasha (1992) …. Colonel Gorda
    Genuine Risk (1990) …. Curly
    Forbidden Dance, The (1990) …. Joa
    … aka Lambada, the Forbidden Dance (1990)
    Warlords (1988) …. The Warlord
    Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II (1988) …. Donar
    Goddess of Love (1988) (TV) …. Hephaestus
    Commando Squad (1987) …. Iggy
    Aftermath, The (1982) …. Cutter
    Chu Chu and the Philly Flash (1981) …. Vince
    Galaxy of Terror (1981) …. Quuhod
    … aka Mindwarp: An Infinity of Terror (1981)
    … aka Planet of Horrors (1981)
    … aka Quest (1981)
    Underground Aces (1980)
    Loose Shoes (1980) …. Lone Stranger
    … aka Coming Attractions (1980)
    … aka Quackers (1980)
    Death Car on the Freeway (1979) (TV) …. Maurie
    “Jason of Star Command” (1979) TV Series …. Dragos
    “Tarzan and the Super 7” (1978) TV Series …. Dragos
    Evening in Byzantium (1978) (TV) …. Asted
    Swashbuckler (1976) …. Bald pirate
    … aka Scarlet Buccaneer (1976) (UK)
    Return of the World’s Greatest Detective, The (1976) (TV) …. Vince Cooley

I can’t remember seeing him myself. Interestingly, he’s also been working behind the scenes, He’s been a set dresser, boom operator and even a second unit director.

BUt most notably he’s appeared in all sorts of pulp/cult TV shows like Batman (60’s TV series), Get Smart, Gunsmoke, Mission Impossible…. right up to shows like McGuyver, and Just Ten of Us.

Anonymous

There’s also a message board with about three posts here:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0354085/board/threads/

Anonymous

Sid Haig is one of my favorite character actors. I’ve always enjoyed seeing him in any number of low-budget/exploitationers from the 60s and 70s. He’s best known for his work with director Jack Hill, whose sardonic sense of humor and the ridiculous lightens the mood of anything he tackles, no matter how dire the subject matter (and matches perfectly with Haig’s own humor and delivery). One of my personal favorite “typical” Haig perfs is in The Big Bird Cage, a Phillipines-lensed Women In Prison flick produced by Roger Corman and starring Haig, Anitra Ford and Pam Grier (which equals how can you pass this up??? on the quality-meter), but his best overall film is Hill’s Spider Baby: Or, The Maddest Story Ever Told, which is a Charles Addams-esque descent into macabre humor and features what is perhaps Lon Chaney, Jr.’s finest performance. It’s great, but don’t expect the Haig of today — he’s still bald, but is baby-faced and plays a mute child-like imp. To say any more would ruin everything. I love this movie TONS.

TrimKlip
    Participant

Thanks Sadgeezer and Aleck!

Spiderbaby….hmmm…I remember a White Zombie song by that name. Rob Zombie must have been a fan.

Anonymous
    TrimKlip wrote:

Thanks Sadgeezer and Aleck!

Spiderbaby….hmmm…I remember a White Zombie song by that name. Rob Zombie must have been a fan.

Yeah, Rob’s stated that Spider Baby was a big influence on House of 1000 Corpses, nearly as much as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It’s the same kind of “old dark house” story as RHPS and HO1KC, in which a group of people come to an old house populated by a…shall we say eccentric bunch of folks. It’s fantastic.

–Aleck

Anonymous

I actually remember him as a bad guy in “Jason of Star Command” when I was a kid. That show was part of my Saturday morning routine!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.