Site back…. finally!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

But there are still lots of problems.

The server that sadgeezer.com is located on suffered a major disk crash and all the date before 26th Oct was lost.

Apparently, the Cobalt (server) restore process is so poor that it’s taken a week to restore from the backup.

Most of the CGI scripts (board, search, etc) need to be reprogrammed and this is going to take me a few days.

Please be patient, everything should be back to normal by the weekend.

Sad.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Wha… w… what happened?
    There’s no place like home!

DalekTek790
    Participant

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-tellykelly!

The board has returned, but will the lost posts be restored as well?

Headgehog
    Participant

Thanks goodness the board is back! I couldn’t take scifi.com another day. It is supposed to be a discussion board or is it really a fanfic forum?

I forget, are fanfics not allowed here? (Oustide of the screenplay section) If so, thanks to the sadgeezer.com gods. If not I hope they [ff writiers] don’t find this site, and infest our boards with stories.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I have to agree with you Headgehog, at least to a certain extent. I was drowning in fanfic posts over there at SciFi. It was pretty clear to me that the vast majority of posts were fanfic posts. I think it’s a nuisance, especially on a crude bboard like they have there. Thread subjects quickly get swallowed up and disappear as they scroll away into oblivion. But I’m not saying they should stop writing fanfic. I think they should start their own separate bboard devoted to Lexx fanfic. But posting six threads in a row devoted to one fanfic story is absolutely rude on that SciFi bboard. And telling them to go away is also rude and therefore out of the question.

[ 01-11-2001: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    I have to agree with you Headgehog, at least to a certain extent. I was drowning in fanfic posts over there at SciFi.
    [ 01-11-2001: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

not only fanfic,whichis usually well marked, but the damn popup ads; this morning i had to wade through 6 of them while trying to read one post and a reply aaacckkk

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally Posted by Flamegrape
    I have to agree with you Headgehog, at least to a certain extent. I was drowning in fanfic posts over there at SciFi. It was pretty clear to me that the vast majority of posts were fanfic posts. I think it’s a nuisance, especially on a crude bboard like they have there. Thread subjects quickly get swallowed up and disappear as they scroll away into oblivion. But I’m not saying they should stop writing fanfic. I think they should start their own separate bboard devoted to Lexx fanfic. But posting six threads in a row devoted to one fanfic story is absolutely rude on that SciFi bboard. And telling them to go away is also rude and therefore out of the question.

I’d have to agree with you on all counts. I don’t have a problem with fanfics or their writers, but its rediculus when an entire board is consumed by ff’s. What I meant that was I hoped that they didn’t come here and post their stories in say the Episode Discussion room. If they come here to post stories, another Lexx board should be made for ff’s. How feasible is that sadgeezer, if and when it may be necessary?

Anonymous

Whew! I am so glad to have Sadgeezers back! The SciFi board is just lousy. Thanks SG, for all your hard work bringing your lovely playground back to life.

Anonymous

Thanks everyone

Dalek, what posts are missing? FX has mentioned that the message count goes up and down periodically, but I haven’t yet seen any (recent) evidence of missing posts. Do you have any specific examples that I can check out?

Hedgehog, there is no problem about setting up a message forum for fanfics – in fact, I could set up a whole category for fanfics and have lots of fanfic forums. But, as one of the lady’s pointed out, there are a few places where peeps know to checkout fanfic posts and adding fanfic forums on this BBS might not be useful.

I’m pretty pro-fanfic, privided that the posts are in the relevamnt forums, that’s why we have such effective and dedicated moderators. If FX or any of the other moderators suggests that I set up a fanfic forum because there are many fanfic posts in their areas, I’ll do it. But I wouldn’t want to set one up that wouldn’t be used.

Hope that answers your question.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Thanks everyone

Dalek, what posts are missing? FX has mentioned that the message count goes up and down periodically, but I haven’t yet seen any (recent) evidence of missing posts. Do you have any specific examples that I can check out?

There is at least one topic in Lexx General missing, plus several posts on another topic, and there is at least one post missing from Lexx Episodes. That’s just in the topics I’d really been following lately, there are probably others missing that I didn’t notice. I think all the posts were from the last day the board was operational and the day before.

I just wanted to know if all that discussion was lost or if it would be restored by the weekend (which is when you said everything would be fixed). Should we refrain from posting on the topics from which posts disappeared so the lost ones aren’t overprinted?

Headgehog
    Participant

I noticed that the “Lexx Death Toll” topic is missing. I belive it was in the episodes forum. I don’t think its been an active topic for over a month though.

Anonymous

Thanks Dalek and Headge, I’ll keep an eye open for problems. However, all the topics posted from around 4am (GMT) on Thursday will probably have been lost because that was the last time that there was a backup (usually daily). We’ve had a lot of p[roblems with lost posts obver the last few months, I hope the recent version of UBB will sort it out (but I’m worried that it hasn’t). The next major site change will be to convert the SadGeezers Guide into a full portal site. The BBS will be simpler to operate, but much more robust and probably based around PHP rather than the now dated CGI language – but that is a few months away yet (I have to find a way of importing the UBB database into PHP database).

Old topics may still be there, they wont be shown if you have your ‘show topics’ setting (at the top of each forum page) to 30 days or less. I have mine set to Show all topics. If you have yours set to ‘show topics from last 45 days’ all the topics listed will only be from the last 45 days. Many people think that some older topics have dissapeared, but usually it’s because they have the ‘show topics’ setting for recent posts only. If that doesn’t help you Hedge, I’ll specak to the moderators and get them to monitor things.

Anonymous

One topic in particular that I know of is the”DT’s Puritanical Views” thread in the LEXX General forum. That one was up to 40+ posts, and it’s now at 33.

–Aleck

Headgehog
    Participant

I tried changing the show topics from option, and doing a search before I posted earlier. If its lost forever, I wouldn’t consider it a big loss. What I posted there could easily be retyped, probably more clearly too.

FX
    Participant

wow, it’s good to know i am not imagining things, or that i am at least participating in a group hallucination i noticed that the counter for ‘lexx episodes’ would keep going forward then dropping back, and that things i thought i remembered were no longer there! well, i guess we’ll just have to start over

FX
    Participant

poor saddy and newkate! well it has been awful not having our board to play on but hopefully things will be quiet for a while now…love and kudos to you both and all the little elves that got this mess back together !

DalekTek790
    Participant

“Have you seen The Tick?” -2 posts missing

“D.T.’s Puritanical values” -several posts and lock missing

“Sensorship and Puritan values” -topic missing

“Lexx death toll” -topic missing

“Lexxian night fever” -several posts missing

“Scenes from the cutting room floor” -1 post missing

“How are you doing?” -1 post missing

That’s all I know from memory and others’ complaints. Are these gone for good? If so, then it’s a good thing saved my morality posts on a WordPro file.

[ 02-11-2001: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Anonymous

one thing that i noticed the day before the crash was that all of the forums said that they all had new posts. i thought that this was strange especially when i checked andromeda and lexx and realized that there were no new posts just the same ones i had seen the day before. i am not sure if this relates to the topic of the lost posts but i found it strange and wanted to ask about it. then again it could have been this dinosaur computer that i have! LOL

[ 03-11-2001: Message edited by: mary beth ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    But there are still lots of problems.

The server that sadgeezer.com is located on suffered a major disk crash and all the date before 26th Oct was lost.

Apparently, the Cobalt (server) restore process is so poor that it’s taken a week to restore from the backup.

Most of the CGI scripts (board, search, etc) need to be reprogrammed and this is going to take me a few days.

Please be patient, everything should be back to normal by the weekend.

Well, it’s the weekend, and the lost posts are still not there. Does that mean they’re gone for good?

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

Well, it’s the weekend, and the lost posts are still not there. Does that mean they’re gone for good?

well judging from the fact that saddy and newkate are usually just stretching and crawling out of bed when i call them at noon THEIR time, i am assuming they just wanted to sleep in today and are getting a late start as it is saturday besides, they always stay up way past my bedtime to make up for it…don’t give up hope yet

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    well judging from the fact that saddy and newkate are usually just stretching and crawling out of bed when i call them at noon THEIR time, i am assuming they just wanted to sleep in today and are getting a late start as it is saturday besides, they always stay up way past my bedtime to make up for it…don’t give up hope yet

Well, at least there’s still hope. There were some good posts and discussions that got erased. People were actually reacting positively to a topic I started (the joke post with the cut scenes was by me, in case no one had figured that out).

Anonymous

I’m afraid that if the missing posts haven’t returned by now, then they are unrecoverable.

Posts before Thursday last week (10 days ago) should all be back, those after thursday am would not have been backed up and are therefore lost. Sorry Dalek

The other posts that appear to be missing should have returned when I tried to re-build the message forums (a maintenance function) – unfortunately it looks like it didn’t succeed.

Once thing I know caused the board a problem is posts that get too long. I think the server has to work harder if it is loading pages (which it builds from a database) that have more than 35-40 messages in them.

It maybe an idea to try and close a thread and start a new one when the page gets very long.

hope that answers your questons

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.