Slander at SciFi.Com (Part Two)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst Slander at SciFi.Com (Part Two)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Sorry, the page became a little too big again. Please continue the ‘Slander at SciFi’ discussion in this thread.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elfie
    also for the record, some -not all- people found flamegrape’s introductory words offensive, too. remember people, scifi doesn’t *just* host a Lexx BB, this has spread to the Farscape board there and some -again, not all- people there are also taking offense to flamegrape -even though she didn’t post there- and threatening to flood this bb because of the stuff said about how the fictions at scifi should end.

I’m sorry if I came across as offensive. But with all due respect, I’m not sure which comments you are refering to. If it’s not much trouble, please quote what I said and I will apologize for whatever I said.

Yes, I’ve stated my opinion that fan fictions shouldn’t be posted in general discussion bulletin board forums. It’s not what they were designed for. My further opinion is that it would be more appropriate to post them in dedicated moderated forums, free from ridicule and complaints. A fan fiction sanctuary, if you will.

quote:

Originally posted by elfie
    even though it doesn’t look like it will come to pass, if you do open a fiction board here may i suggest putting the stories on a lighter background??? i love the colors at sad’s but it’s hard on the eyes to read something on a dark back ground.

I agree, this would be an improvement and more appropriate for a fan fiction forum.

But I don’t think the proposal is dead in the water just yet. And I want to also add that such a proposed forum would not “take over” APEC or any other fan fic group. In addition, I beleive that a good moderated forum would prevent these horrible arguements from cropping up in the first place. There’s no reason why APEC or any other group or individual can’t post at this proposed forum.

Yesterday, I started posting messages at SciFi.Com/Lexx about a new moderated fan fiction forum at SadBoard. I have already been accused of being a “troll”, that I hate all fan fiction, and a few other inflamatory comments. These seem to be an attempt to bait me into an arguement, to get me mad, or something. I’m not going to fall into that trap and inadvertantly make more people angry. I will do my best to be polite and diplomatic at all times.

(BTW, elfie, are you the same user as “elfieLUVSkai” at SciFi.Com/Lexx? If so, I’m glad that you’re here, voicing your opinions.)

Headgehog
    Participant

Authors Note: when I say “they” in this post I’m refering to the majority of what I’ve witnesses. Its not a blanket statement! There are some polite or non-repsonding “they”s.

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

I agree, this would be an improvement and more appropriate for a fan fiction forum.

Yesterday, I started posting messages at SciFi.Com/Lexx about a new moderated fan fiction forum at SadBoard. I have already been accused of being a “troll”, that I hate all fan fiction, and a few other inflamatory comments. These seem to be an attempt to bait me into an arguement, to get me mad, or something. I’m not going to fall into that trap and inadvertantly make more people angry. I will do my best to be polite and diplomatic at all times.

We both share the same political views on ff, and scifi.com. I too beleive fics should have its own seperate forum, whether it be here or on scifi.com. Discussion boards are meant for disscussion!

The reports of new post at scifi.com sparked my interest, so I decided to visit a little more often then normal. What I found was disgusting. Many people wrote rude and unpresedented replies to your polite and informative post. They started new threads about it, and continued the beating of the dead horse. ( I honestly can’t remember who keeps posting this, but I agree with you)
    If they say they’re happy there, then let them stay there. If they want to come here and discuss great. It works for me either way. There is no use in arguing with zealots. We should stop this bickering before the rift in Lexxians grows any more!

/demi rant
    Flamegrape, you went over there peacefully and they came out firing! Irrantional putz’s!
    But for the life of me I can’t understand why:

• you would volunteer to moderate a fic/OPEC forum? I’ve never seem you write fics and I don’t think your in APEC
    • how you would expect them to be positively responisve to an outsider moderating them

/end demi-rant

Also Valdron (A great guy) made a good point in one of his responses. Flamegrape does look suspiciously like Flame Gripe. Not that I’m insinuating aythign negative, but what’d the origins of your nik? I’m just curious.

Finally I’m a pacifist and a non-confrontationalist, but I have a felling many of them will be forced to come here at one point or another.
    As the chief organizer of Uncon 4.0 can you guess what board I’ve chosen to use for posting news, and current discussions? Anyone who said scifi.com can put on a dunce cap and stand in the corner. My choice was made a months ago and it had nothing to do with APEC or ff or any sort of he says she says bullsh*t. It rested souly on scifi.com being technologically inferior. SadBoard had numerous (technical and otherwise) advantages and no “poop-up” ads. If unconers want up to date, first hand news, they’ll have to visit here. It should be noted that I will be using the mailing list, but I prefer a moderated board. I get enough mail as is!

message edited for spellling

[ 20-11-2001: Message edited by: Headgehog ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    If they say they’re happy there, then let them stay there. If they want to come here and discuss great. It works for me either way. There is no use in arguing with zealots. We should stop this bickering before the rift in Lexxians grows any more!

I’ve been advocating the idea of a new moderated fan fiction forum here at SadBoard. And again, I want to emphasize that it would NOT ursurp the activities of APEC or other fan fiction groups. The new forum would provide a safe venue for fan fiction authors. This whole ugly flame warfare began because the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board is completely unmoderated. Arguements got completely out of hand and extremely mean.

quote:

Originally posted by …:
    But for the life of me I can’t understand why:
    *you would volunteer to moderate a fic/OPEC forum? I’ve never seem you write fics and I don’t think your in APEC

*how you would expect them to be positively responisve to an outsider moderating them

I have absolutely no desire to moderate an APEC forum. To assume that SadBoard would have any authority to establish an “APEC Fan Fiction Forum” would be extremely insulting to the members of that club. This they have stated a few times.

As I understand what Sad has proposed, the proposed Fan Fiction section of the SadBoard would have several forums that represent several catagories of fan fictions. Lexx, Farscape, Andromeda, Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, etc. Within each of those forums, authors could post stories to their hearts content. As long as it doesn’t violate an agreed-upon set of rules. All of these details have yet to be hammered out.

Nope, I haven’t posted fan fictions in the past. Maybe I’ll have a go at it if this moderated forum comes into being. But at the moment, I don’t relish the idea of posting fan fictions at SciFi.Com or anyplace that is unmoderated.

Also, I didn’t expect them (meaning the APEC and other fan fiction authors at SciFi.Com) to be positively responsive to an outsider moderating them. When I got involved with this idea, I knew that they would suspect that I was up to no good. But all I’m saying is, “Look, there’s an alternative. A safe forum can be established for fan fiction authors where no one annoys each other.” One of the first things that was pointed out was that they could post fan fictions both here at SadBoard and SciFi.Com. No ever said they had to stop posting at SciFi.Com. But the difference is that at one place an author could fall victim to slanderous attacks by people who fear no reprisal while at another place such flaming would not be permitted.

quote:

Also Valdron (A great guy) made a good point in one of his responses. Flamegrape does look suspiciously like Flame Gripe. Not that I’m insinuating aythign negative, but what’d the origins of your nik? I’m just curious.

Flame Grape is the name of an obscure song by a psychedelic punk rock band from Austin, Texas. (Aleck can back me up on this, as he did over at SciFi.Com/Lexx.) I’ve been using the username for years. Occasionally people suspect that I’m into the practice of flaming and this is not the case. It is also the name of the computer-generated character that I created in art school, as seen in my signature below. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Anonymous

Am I an asshole for giggling uncontrollably by all this?

Anyone ever see They Live?

Anonymous

OK FOR THE LOVE OF MONKEYS LETS CLEAR THIS CRAP UP RIGHT FREAKIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so some one, dont know who i’m not even looking at names anymore says that i posted a private email and left my name out…..bullpucky! if you look at the emails you will clearly see [email protected] in the post ….
    want your freakin proof? here ya go! http://www.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1560/26484
    also…..
    elfie….who the F U C K are you?
    and why did you jump into a post that had nothing to do with you way back when and start flaming me as if you knew me personally?
    and so how come no one is mentioning the fact that a picture of me was STOLEN from a website, yes stolen, these pictures while IN public dxomain are NOT public property and are copyrighted to indigo, and put on a webshots page just for the sake of calling me a moustached cow?
    funny that the people calling me that are all people who in the past told me how pretty i was (as i am)
    called me a drag queen too, that was you again elfie, dont know ya, dont care to, but i myself am 6’1, yes, tall for a girl, but damned if i’m not proud as hell of my stature and grace
    lets see, then elfie attacked me again because my home base is in ny and my boyfriend (again this would be the one known as X to you all, oh never mind, why am i bothering, you all seem to think i’m him regardless) lives in texas…
    ever heard of cars, public transport, planes, trains and the likes? this is a global society, i travel a lot, deal with it
    and fiinally…..
    if anyone really wants me to list out the names of EXACTLY who i dislike(sorry i dont hate you but your not worth the effort) then by all means i will….
    like, totally sigh n stuff, i’m bored

Flamegrape
    Participant

*SIGH*

Anonymous

first off- i didn’t get involved in commenting to/ about you until you started flaming the BB and getting everyone upset. you acted as if *everyone* at the BB was your enemy by not caring who was affected by your ranting. i’ve been around reading all of the threads at sad’s and scifi for a longer period of time than i’ve been posting, and i can’t see how you’d imagine we’d *appreciate* you taking it to the public BB.

you posted to kali and other ppl there at scifi that you basically didn’t care how they felt about you bringing your personal flames to a public forum, so you were at one point at least aware you were troubling ppl who were just *there*.

x wrote me a letter one day talking about people he obviously knew were my friends, and that was right after he posted dgre’s private letter on the bb. so i promtly sent his letter to the email group and we all had a good chuckle. it certainly wasn’t a nice thing to do, but he was airing private letters in public so at least i didn’t post it at scifi. but that’s what got *me* involved, his ridiculous acusations that i was out to get him (which were said here at sad’s) like the rest of apec.

i recieved grief and stress from the people against my friends, and was flamed for being *a member of apec* (which i’m NOT, but i’m not against the ppl who are) at sad’s AND at scifi before i started saying anything. i have an anti clone or something but i don’t know what the hell to do with him, lol, i’ll just read the stories of ppl who do know how to do it. *G*

i don’t KNOW if you posted your mail in your letter from doffy or not because i didn’t look, and i stated that in some other post around here somewhere in ‘angst’.

also, i was in the email group when indigo was sending the letters to other people… and if someone IN any group you’d been in had started doing that i don’t think many people would feel very friendly towards those people. yes, i found you and your friends actions offensive when that happened… so don’t act like your actions have *only* affected the few people in apec/ kt/ whatever you started out against. it has spread waaaay beyond *that*.

you posted there at scifi… admitting you were trying to be offensive, don’t be shocked when ppl get offensive back. you wanted to air your private arguments in public for everybody, and when you do that it becomes an open territory, not just you but anyone that does that. EVERYBODY who’s posted about it has had someone from the opposing viewpoint coming back and saying something — here and at scifi.

if you are upset that people who had nothing to do with the original argument are getting involved you should have told your side and let it be done, not flamed the BB with all of those offensive posts. it didn’t seem like you cared about stopping, you’ve even threatened to go back and do it again if/ when you feel like it… are we supposed to be happy about that?

when ppl here who weren’t affected by the mess in *any* way other than having to read about it, the same thing happened. if it’s stuck in your face eventually you comment on it — everyone here in the angst forum is guilty of it. no one asked aleck or flamegrape or anyone — they just got incited and had stuff to say because this crap was clogging up their BB.

just as you were, my fave bb, vyx. i’m sorry if you and x and everybody are so upset… but the fact that you are upset shouldn’t have to be *my* problem, so don’t do things that effect me if you want me to stay out of it.

you can moo here and no one will get mad, though! (that ‘moo’ post you did has really become a major chuckle btw) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

oh and sad… did you pay for the pictures of lexx you use here? nope, looks like you stole ’em to me, hehe.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elfie:
    when ppl here who weren’t affected by the mess in *any* way other than having to read about it, the same thing happened. if it’s stuck in your face eventually you comment on it — everyone here in the angst forum is guilty of it. no one asked aleck or flamegrape or anyone — they just got incited and had stuff to say because this crap was clogging up their BB.

That’s pretty much correct, elfie. I had nothing to do with this arguement but it’s been “cloggin up” the SadBoard.

But I’ve been listening to boths sides, too. After weeks of this flame war, I’ve come to a few conclusions. My conclusion was this: SciFi.Com/Lexx is an unmoderated bulletin board and things got out-of-hand because there was no one to spank the flamers and the trolls. And the spark of this flame war is really a technical issue about the primitive nature of the bulletin board programs used at SciFi.Com itself. (And it always seems necessary to qualify that statement with, “No, I’m not talking about the people who post at SciFi.Com, I’m talking about the quality of the bulletin board system’s programs.” Over at the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board, some people accuse me of insulting the people who post there. This is not the case. And it never will be.)

Unfortunately (but not suprisingly), when I tried to point towards a solution at the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board, I was attacked and accused of trying to wreck everyone’s fun. This was because it was no longer a flame war regarding fan fiction. It was starting to polarize into a SciFi.Com bboard vs. Sadboard issue. That was the last straw for me and I couldn’t just sit still and do nothing.

And BTW, none of the paranoia and suspicion about me over at SciFi.Com really bothers me. Taking into account all of the factors of this flame war, it didn’t suprise me. The last thing I’ll do is reply with insults or rants. In time, people will realize that I’m on the level.

Anonymous

yaaaa… it’s all a convoluded mess from hades.

Anonymous

hey elfie get a grip on reality
    the first post i made on the scifi bb that you jumpedall over was entitled “shame on you” and it was aimed at people like doffy and angelmay who flame under different names because they are scared of the repercussions. all i said was that this was wrong….YOU then bitched me out for being a troll….
    it wasz not until after that that i DID in fact become a troll

and uh, fx? I’ve seen far worse on this bb than someone using caps. if thats enough to ban me then by all means, feel free to do so, please prove me right about lexx fans

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gelfling:
    and uh, fx? I’ve seen far worse on this bb than someone using caps. if thats enough to ban me then by all means, feel free to do so, please prove me right about lexx fans

don’t care about caps; i do care about the ‘who the **** are you’, as well as general strident tone in your posts, and others…
    i am also beyond tired of people provoking others to a reaction that they can then say proves their point…so tone it down…

FX
    Participant

quote:

OK FOR THE LOVE OF MONKEYS LETS CLEAR THIS CRAP UP RIGHT FREAKIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like, totally sigh n stuff, i’m bored

and so are we…like saddy said in another post, neither of us likes banning people but that is where we are at….the next person who ‘screams’at ,curses and abuses somebody rather than calmly talking will get banned.

the first ban will be for two weeks, repeated offenses will lead to permanent bans

why, because i’m the mom-er-moderator and i said so; and all of us are tired of trying to reason with the same four people

now all of you have a happy thanksgiving, goddamnit , and do not come back to post until you can talk calmly

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    now all of you have a happy thanksgiving, goddamnit , and do not come back to post until you can talk calmly

Have you been spying on my family’s thanksgiving diners in the past? I swear my mom or dad say something like this every year!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Have you been spying on my family’s thanksgiving diners in the past? I swear my mom or dad say something like this every year!

headgehog; the very walls in the house could repeat the dialogue that goes on at our family get togethers and i guess it’s a lot like yours family, can’t live with ’em, but you can’t shoot ’em either

Anonymous

Gelfling, your posts are too antagonistic, and because of this I don’t think your comments are helping to clear up a dissagreement.

It’s ok to dissagree with someone, but when you make personal comments about people you are crossing the line.

Antagonistic comments meant to insight people are not appreciated on this board (especially in this forum).

If you want to continue posting, please say your piece calmly without trying to provocate.

Anonymous

Sorry folks, if i wanted to talk to politicians and robots i would go get a job working for lucas arts see ya psychos!!!!!!

{paragraph deleted}

feel free to make your little lives fuller by banning me now

{SadGeezer} DONE! Two weeks from the date of this edit. I hope you manage to grow up. If not, the ban will be permenant.

[ 26-11-2001: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

FX
    Participant

quote:

Sorry folks, if i wanted to talk to politicians and robots i would go get a job working for lucas arts
    see ya psychos!!!!!!

you are a complete mess…say goodnight gracie…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.