Space 1999

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pet
    Participant

The complete mega set of Space 1999 comes out (USA) Sept 24! I’ve never seen it, but my subscription to Sci-Fi runs out at the end of the month. (I ordered it from Deep Discount, but won’t get to start watching for probably 10 days because of the free shipping delay.)

In the meantime, anyone have any trivia or background I should keep in mind as I watch them? Or stuff I should notice for later?

Just checking for rabid fans….

Pet;D

Flamegrape
    Participant

You know about Tony Anholt and Lexx, right?

Flamegrape’s Maya Of Psychon Image Website[/url]

Flamegrape’s Space:1999 Videogames[/url]

Anonymous

Hi Pet,

If you checkout SadHOO Sci Fi Search Engine[/url] (about halfway down the page) and enter ‘Space 1999’ you should get a few websites.

The search results also give you options (at the bottom) for checking out your searches on other search engines and directories and even the Deja (now Google) news posts.

Hope that helps.

pet
    Participant

10-Q both ,

I’m still working through the Space1999.net links through SadHOO. (Not visiting fan fic, though. It would be kind of useless to go now, since I just got the set and have only seen 2 eps!)

Aha! Maya is who pops into mind when I think of the show. She isn’t on yet. Then Martin Landau. Sorry to say, Barbara Bain didn’t come to mind at all! I think I heard about Tony Anholt on Lexx.com, if he’s who I think he is.

I’ll be downloading the games, of course, but I’ll have to wait until I have a full night off at home (Country dialup with inactivity limit of less than 1/2 hour. If I don’t click around while downloading, it cuts me off, even while using Gigex. GRRR!)

Do you have the DVD’s, Flame? Mine came with a DVD of the fan-produced series ending. At one ep or less a day, it’s going to take me forever to get to that one.

I’m not watching Sci-Fi anymore, so I’m buying sets of all the shows I’ve always wanted to see and making my own Sci-Fi channel. (I am having someone tape Yo Way Yo again so that I can get samples without weather interference this time, but that’s it for Sci-Fi for me. They made their last moronic cancellation, as far as I’m concerned.)

At least my personal Sci-Fi channel actually has Sci-Fi on it. Space 1999 followed by the Prisoner on weekdays, movie or Lexx on Friday, anime on Saturday mornings, I’ll have to get the Godzilla set for lazy winter Sunday afternoons.

Pet;D

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by pet:
    Do you have the DVD’s, Flame? Mine came with a DVD of the fan-produced series ending. At one ep or less a day, it’s going to take me forever to get to that one.

Yes, I have the entire series on DVD. But no, I don’t have the fan-produced series ending.

Do you live in the UK? Did you get a boxed set of the entire series all at once? I live in the USA and all I got were cheaply-made series of boxed sets of two DVDs each. I’ve heard that the UK PAL DVDs were much better.

At DragonCon, I bought a DVD that had two documentaries that were created by Fanderson. It was clearly a bootleg. It is probable that if I ever see the fan-produced series ending, it will be on a crappy bootleg DVD transfered from a worn-out videotape.

I was happy that I found a copy of the series one soundtrack at DragonCon. But I was disappointed to discover that it was a bootleg. It did not include the liner notes booklet.

Anonymous

There is an amazing Space: 1999 website that is far, far, far better than the series deserves. Go figure. But I would recommend it to all fans of the series…
    http://www3.nb.sympatico.ca/kmccorry/sp1999ep0.html

pet
    Participant

Flame:

I’m deep, deep in the USA. I probably have the same ones you have (A&E?), but as a complete set. I think they just took the 2-disk sets and put them all together in a bigger box, which is exactly what A&E does with everything. There are hardly any extras on the disks, except the fan dvd, which was in a paper case stuck in the end of the box but marketed as a “World Premiere”. When I get to it, I’ll let you know about its quality, of course. Unless you find one by then.

It doesn’t look like A&E is offering it outside the mega set, (which they’re selling for $80 more than nearly everywhere else, BTW. GRR!) and only at Best Buy. I cancelled my online order to get it from Best Buy. I guess it was also released in France. (This is where I got that info, but you probably know that already: http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/epguide/txmfma.html )

Since they’re not selling it, I would snag you a copy of mine, but I don’t have the hardware. Maybe I can come up with something.

Valdron:
    10-Q4 the link. Cool! Now I can look for the mistakes on the DVD’s. I love doing that!

Pet;D

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

pet
    Participant

I just saw the Christopher Lee episode.

Whoo-Hoo! BEST ENDING EVER!!!!

That was a really good one. When I start loaning them out, that’ll be my hook. I usually hook people with something other than the beginning. I’ve hooked several people on Lexx with 791.

(No one has to answer, I just had to say something for the record! )

Pet;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really enjoyed Space 1999 — haven’t seen it in almost twenty years probably. And I didn’t know Christopher Lee had been in any of them — I’ve got to see that. Man oh man, C. Lee was great in the Wicker Man, and Scaramanga was one of the best Bond villians of all time (he had three nipples you know, ahh, he would make a worthy adversary.)

Dracula meets Space 1999, now that’s something I’d love to see.

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Logan:
    I really enjoyed Space 1999 — haven’t seen it in almost twenty years probably. And I didn’t know Christopher Lee had been in any of them — I’ve got to see that. Man oh man, C. Lee was great in the Wicker Man, and Scaramanga was one of the best Bond villians of all time (he had three nipples you know, ahh, he would make a worthy adversary.)

I keep wondering about whether a remake of Space 1999 would ever work, obviously it would be better titled Space 2099, there was something about this series which kinda made it unique.
    Even though the costumes were clearly 70’s gear it still did have a futuristic feel to it, Moonbase Alpha had this sterile future hospital feel about it. Another thing that seemed to make it good was that they never bragged about the tech, they kept it at a minimum, so as to not make it look so stupid when we look back at it.
    It had a really good mix, sometimes it could be quite scary and other times it was really funny (though not intentionally), I particularly remember a monster that was like long tentacles from head to to toe with one large eye in the centre, I think it was the one where either the telepathic woman began to hallucinate, or the crew had been replaced by these creatures and she was the only one who could see them, and even though the creatures were quite funny to look at now…they and the premise was truly terrifying back then.
    Also I have very fond memories of the Eagle’s, which in my opinion were the coolest ships of their time, well them and the Liberator from Blake’s 7.
    ADM

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    You know about Tony Anholt and Lexx, right?

Flamegrape’s Maya Of Psychon Image Website[/url]

Flamegrape’s Space:1999 Videogames[/url]

Flamegrape, just tried to run defender and it crashed straight away, could you put up a system requirement list?
    It’s looking good though, but I think you can make it look even better, it would appear that you have some good skills in modding, so check out Bridge Commander Network http://www.3dactionplanet.com/bridgecommander/%5B/url%5D to see how you can improve the eagle, they also have a Sol 3 pack which includes a Nasa photographed rendition of the Earth and the Moon, and it looks amazing.
    I just think if you turned your hand to this then you’d be really doing us Space 1999 fans a service.
    As they’re doing ships not just from Trek but also Star Wars and Babylon 5, you may even want to have a crack at Lexx (that would be one polygon monster!!!), but I’d love to see the Enterprise-E against the Lexx!!!.
    Of course the only snag is, is that you need Bridge Commander the game and I think a certain 3d program to do the mods.
    In the meantime any help in getting your current version running would be greatly appreciated.
    ADM

pet
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Logan:

He even wakes from the dead in it. He’s also wearing makeup I’ve seen Bjork wear. The disks are worth it if you just want the show, but they don’t have any exciting extras. And you probably noticed above, you can only get the final 7-minute episode if you buy the whole set at Best Buy.

P.S. I’m not going back to the Prisoner thread until I’m finished. I skimmed down and saw someone mention Fall Out and freaked out and left before I was tempted to read it! But, my coworker (No. 12119) is first in line to watch the first 2 disks this weekend, so maybe it will become hip again. We feel a kinship with the Village since we have no outgoing phone lines at work, and No. 1 is trying to make it so we can only wear company-approved buttons (a choice of 8 pieces of flair) to express ourselves.

14071;D

Fatguy
    Participant

Pet, you make me laugh sometime. I never really have that problem as I seem to have seen every sci-fi show of note when it was presented. As for Space 1999, the pre Mia days were the best. I hated it when they brought in Mia and that other guy who replaced Alan. I think I mentioned this before; but I rode the subway downtown with Barry Morse (the scientist) just after they had finished shooting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool links guys, but here is the official Space 1999 site, and this is a truly cool Flash site (turn on speakers):
    http://www.space1999.uk.com/%5B/url%5D

Groovy site, huh? Now I really want to party like it’s Space 1999!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.