Special Features – Sci Fi Downloads

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Announcements/New Stuff Special Features – Sci Fi Downloads

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The downloads section has been greatly improved. It is easier to find things and provides a handy search interface so that you can say, search for all the pictures of Kai or all the MP3โ€™s in Babylon 5.

Best of all, you can upload your own media! It maybe that you have your own artwork that people would want to see!

You can even make a postcard out of the image and send it to a friend! Or maybe you would like a printout of the picture, or even comment on it?! The new downloads section has a hit counter so that you can see at a glance which media is the most popular.

Currently there are 8 categories, and about a hundred dub-categories – but this will increase substantially once Iโ€™ve completed the new sadgeezer.com installation. At the moment Iโ€™m adding descriptions to 1500 images and sound files!

pet
    Participant

but is there a KB limit on images and mp3s for this, or a preferred KB limit, or a KB limit per member?

I only added 1 image today, but it occurred to me just now it was a rather large one. Considering how much of my collection I’d like to offer I wanted to see if you had considered any rules for that before I started playing around with the interactive/download stuff.

Pet;D

Anonymous

Hi pet,

No, there is no limit but you should remember that images (or any media) that is uploaded must be checked by a moderator first – so there is a little bit of a delay.

I posted your image in the stanley section today ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s cool ๐Ÿ™‚

pet
    Participant

Thanks, I’m glad somebody liked it.

Anonymous

We got B5 MP3s? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜€

pet
    Participant

I experimented with a remix upload, and there is a “General preferences” limit. But mp3’s run about a MB a minute, so that file size limit is to be expected. They’re pretty huge.

Pet;D

pet
    Participant

Don’t know where else to put this, but when you click “submit media”, the upload page has a blank body, at least when I do it. Anyone else able to get there?

Pet (83)

bonnee
    Participant

The fact that Pet’s internet posts can somehow detect (and advertise) my isp address, location , operating system, and browser freaks me out. ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous
    pet wrote:

Don’t know where else to put this, but when you click “submit media”, the upload page has a blank body, at least when I do it. Anyone else able to get there?

Pet (83)

The downloads database was corrupt. I think it’s fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience

pet
    Participant
    bonnee wrote:

The fact that Pet’s internet posts can somehow detect (and advertise) my isp address, location , operating system, and browser freaks me out. ๐Ÿ™

You’re the only one who can see that information. It’s different for everybody. All I can see is mine. Any website you visit gets and logs that stuff, (but I don’t know where you are, all I know is where I am).

I kind of see it as a privacy learning tool, I had no idea places logged ALL that stuff until I saw one of these signs somewhere else and got startled myself. I knew they kept the numbers, but I didn’t know about the rest.

(But if it still makes you uncomfortable, I have no problem removing it. I’m not into the troll thang. )

Pet;D

Anonymous

It’s a sad fact, but boards also keep track of IP details of posters for security reasons and this information can be quite detailed (IP information that is). It’s very rare that anyone can find anything out that is personal and private, and if you really wanted to hide your IP address there are many methods to do even this.

bonnee
    Participant
    pet wrote:

bonnee wrote:

(But if it still makes you uncomfortable, I have no problem removing it. I’m not into the troll thang. )

Pet;D

Well, I’m certainly into the troll thang ๐Ÿ˜† and would encourage you to keep it up. I knew it was possible for almost anyone to know these things – I once encountered a random pop up informing me of the same details, and then it attempted to sell my privacy software for my own protection ๐Ÿ™„ Its just that this is the first time I’ve seen ‘detection’ embedded in an internet post, and assumed that what it was detecting was surfer specific. The fright I got was more ‘wow, look how easy and commonplace’ it now is for our identity to be tracked, etc.

Sorry Pet – didn’t mean to cast aspersions on you at all. The only concern I have is not giving someone else the frightful reminder first. ๐Ÿ˜€

an unrelated concern, of course, is how contentious censorship posts can somehow mysteriously disappear off the face of the earth – I can only assume that the Village (idiots) might have sent a big bouncing ball after it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Information, we want information…

Here’s a very interesting, and entertaining link I found at another site on that image sig.

”From wrote:

Nobody else sees it – they only see THEIR information … the information itself is simple REFERRER information to a script – nothing tricky about that. I just wrap it up in a neat little sign is all. Almost the same as the other dynamic sigs I see on here. Hopefully this will prevent any misunderstandings in the future.

I still wonder whether danasoft.com where the sig comes from is logging everyone’s info. Is it just an educational tool put out by them, or is it being used for more sinister (and perhaps even profitable) purposes? Sometimes I use those special animated inline smilies that they like you to direct link to (most sites don’t like you taking-up their bandwidth that way), but they might well be using them to harvest information. Otherwise, why go to all the expense and bother?

My firewall, for instance, which I registered for (they have personal info I submitted) logs sites visited I believe, and it sends info back to its server for analysis and… Information is being recorded about our internet activities all the time. If you do a websearch on, say, making bombs that gets more serious (gov’t keyword analysers, as well as the search engines which keep logs).

The way I look at it is, there are so many people on the net looking at “worse” things than me that I don’t really care if they keep track of where I’ve been and what I’ve been looking at (I am very careful of the obvious spyware though and avoid potentially illegal material). Much of it is logged to find general trends (statistics) for commercial purposes — I’m just another statistic.

Anonymous
    Logan wrote:

Information, we want information…

— I’m just another statistic.

You’re not a statistic! You’re a free man!

๐Ÿ˜€

pet
    Participant

It’s basically their friendly version of that style of pop-up. It’s a billboard for Danasoft’s privacy software. Mr. Pet suspects it’s actually taking the information on the way into your computer when you download the image, not sending it to danasoft and back to you.

I don’t really want to just put in the link to Danasoft. It would feel like a sale. But I suppose I could add a note below to stifle the shudders…. I could make the pic link to Danasoft, or something. I dunno.

(Really, I just wanted a sig with a rotating quote, but this seems to fit the Village so well…. ๐Ÿ˜€ )

If it does creep someone out too much I will still take it down at that time. No problemo.

Back to your normally scheduled thread….

Thanks for fixin’ the downloads. Now I can finish working on the culture stuff…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pet;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.