Spoilers and Citing Sources

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Discussion Forum Help Spoilers and Citing Sources

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Any thoughts on spoilers? What constitutes a significant enough spoiler that it should come with a warning, or when it not only deserves a warning, but should also be somewhat concealed in the post? For instance, giving a warning and then using a large space before you give away the spoiler… Or as many do, like this…

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

A
    H
    E
    A
    D
    !

Personally, I like to use black font colour code for spoilers… For instance:

Spoiler Alert! Highlight between brackets […] to view…

[ Nigel Tufnel: “…there is something about this, that’s, that’s so black, it’s like; ‘How much more black could this be?’ And the answer is: ‘None, none… more black'” (qtd from This is Spinal Tap) ]

Of course if there are many spoilers it’s probably best to indicate that in the topic title.

Another question, should we generally try to stick to one method for citing sources? For instance, if we’re quoting someone we can use the quote code, plus the author, and in many cases where the material was found online, I believe it’s also best to provide a link to where the material was found. For my quote in this post I just used normal quotation marks and cited the movie and character.

Jhevz
    Participant

Well Logan,
    You can use black, but I suggest using a colour such as orange, brown or dark red as colours for spoilers; you can also use:

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    then write the message; black may or may not turn out right on some computers; black’s not a good colour for spoilers or to use as spoilers.
    I hope this helps some; I’m glad you finally posted here; congrats.

Sci-Fi Fan to Sci-Fi Fan,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay. I would think that using orange (and I was going to say this originally, but I wanted to leave plenty of room for discussion — didn’t go through every variation) as perhaps the most pronounced colour of all would work better for the Spoiler warning, rather than the text of the spoiler (one wants to obscure the actual spoiler):

For instance:

Compare:

Spoiler Warning!

The butler did it!

To:

Spoiler Warning!!! Highlight between brackets to view…

[ The butler did it! ]

While I have been a little negilgent when it comes to spoilers in The Prisoner forum, if I really wanted to alert people, I might do it like this:

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

W
    A
    R
    N
    I
    N
    G
    !

ORANGE ALERT! Spoiler Ahead! Read at your own peril! Highlight between balls to view!

The big bouncy ball did it!

I’ve used the Rovers (The Village sentries) to heighten the sense of danger. ๐Ÿ˜€

But I’m not disagreeing with you, good point about different monitors (computers) showing colours differently. On mine you can’t read the black text at all without highlighting it with the mouse first. And some boards have different colour styles too to complicate matters.

Thanks for the advice, and yes, great to have access to this group! ๐Ÿ˜€

[Edited by Logan to remove my excessive diatribe on my editing]

nursewhen
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

A
    H
    E
    A
    D
    !

That one’s my favourite. I personally hate faffing about with font colours and there’s no way somebody just speed scanning the post can miss that spoiler alert. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Discussion Forum Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.