*spoilers* BSG:Ep9- Secrets and Lies-

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

What’d you guys and gals think of this ep?

A lot more humor than before, but also a lot of bonding between characters. The Adamas and the President almost seemed like a family as they cleaned up dinner and gossiped about their friends, yet all the while the truth is neither trusts the other (as a carry-over from Leoben)

The scene where Starbuck catches Baltar with his pants down has to rank up there as one of the best scenes, as does the finale with everyone in his office.

Ladies, Gentleman, please! There’s a thermo nuclear warhead on the table!

Good stuff. And of course the direction was awesome, even Helo and Boomer on Caprica was very entertaining this week. The only thing that stinks is we gotta wait a while for our next ep!!

What did you all think?

Sci -Fi
    Participant

Mainly a Colonel Saul Tigh centered episode, which is nice to know a bit about his past and personal problems (his wife). Another episode with many comic moments.

One wonders if Tigh’s wife will become another weekly addition or recurring guest role to the series and/or if she is really a Cylon copy (since Baltar is passing everybody). Helen made some nice digs at Roslin (kindergarten teacher as president) and the “now boys, boys…don’t fight over little old me” and “don’t frak with me Bill” comments shows a side of her that would cause a lot of problems on the Galactica. Poor Tigh looked like a whipped puppy in the hallway when Helen yelled at him to “Come on” and dragged him to the lab.

Yes, the Starbuck catching Baltar with his pants down was hilarious as well as Helen Tigh playfully putting her foot (under the table) on Apollo’s jewels at dinner. ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

The scenes at Baltar’s lab were hilarious too, where accusations, suspicions, spying, awkward excuses/explanations, and confessions abound with good comic timing. Wonder how long people really had in the observation deck…”Times Up”….lol…and you can see a long line waiting on the hallway.

Helo, as well as Tyrol, should have figured there is something wrong or different about Boomer that doesn’t add up. Either that or one of them is badly out of shape….lol…j/k. Another hint about what the Cylons want with Helo for….to develop, experience, observe human emotions, and see how it affects the Cylons (Boomer in this case) and alters their judgement process. Perhaps the Cylons wish to add a measure of unpredictability, adaptiveness. and creativeness to their programming. Six looked upset (almost crying) when Doral commented that she was jealous that she never felt those emotions and wishes he could experience them.

It was interesting to find out that it appears that Lieutenant Gaeta is the 3rd person in the line of command. Or was it because Apollo was out on patrol at the time?

Why would the single Cylon Raider not report the fleets position? Or is this another Cylon experiment in their grand scheme of things? Giving the Colonials data about their Raider jump systems is rather odd. The Cylons definately have the technological edge in this area….why give it up?

Baltar’s withholding conformation of a Cylon makes sense in a way. Baltar is being smart by not disclosing who didn’t pass. After everybody is tested, then expose the Cylon copies. Less chance of activating an unknown and undetected Cylon agent(s) and being targeted/getting killed by them or their copies. Of course after 61.5 years of testing, it probably wouldn’t matter by that time. In the meantime, if a Cylon agent is found out, Baltar can always use the excuse that he didn’t test that blood sample yet. Baltar, above anything else, wants to survive and is willing to do anything to shift the blame or cover his behind and look good doing it.

๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous
    Sci -Fi wrote:

Mainly a Colonel Saul Tigh centered episode, which is nice to know a bit about his past and personal problems (his wife). Another episode with many comic moments.

One wonders if Tigh’s wife will become another weekly addition or recurring guest role to the series and/or if she is really a Cylon copy (since Baltar is passing everybody).

I loved the line “She’d better be a Cylon, or we’re in real trouble”.

That was a great moment, and illustrates just how dangerous Humans still are to Humans. I think she will become a presense as much as the secondary characters have been. She also reminds me of a much more human and imperfect version of 6.

It was interesting to find out that it appears that Lieutenant Gaeta is the 3rd person in the line of command. Or was it because Apollo was out on patrol at the time?

It is interesting. Typically though I would imagine the C.A.G does not have bridge duties beyond the tactical planning with the XO. Being in a “yellow alert” type of scenario means that under no circumstance should the XO or CO leave the bridge if currently present. Kind of a Star Trek moment. Better question is, who does Gaeta receive confirmation on orders from? Typically it’s the CO to XO, or XO to a deck officer.

Why would the single Cylon Raider not report the fleets position? Or is this another Cylon experiment in their grand scheme of things? Giving the Colonials data about their Raider jump systems is rather odd. The Cylons definately have the technological edge in this area….why give it up?

Oh the Cylons are playing with us. Bet on it.

Baltar’s withholding conformation of a Cylon makes sense in a way. Baltar is being smart by not disclosing who didn’t pass. After everybody is tested, then expose the Cylon copies. Less chance of activating an unknown and undetected Cylon agent(s) and being targeted/getting killed by them or their copies. Of course after 61.5 years of testing, it probably wouldn’t matter by that time. In the meantime, if a Cylon agent is found out, Baltar can always use the excuse that he didn’t test that blood sample yet. Baltar, above anything else, wants to survive and is willing to do anything to shift the blame or cover his behind and look good doing it.

Best explaination yet. He also tucked away Boomers “positive” results in his briefcase in a previous episode.

Headgehog
    Participant

I really enjoyed the episode. It wasn’t as funny as Six Degrees, but it had much more rewatchabilty. The direction was great, and the “family” fight scenes were terrific. It was nice to see that Baltar (Callis) didn’t steal the show this week. Not that it’s normally a problem per se, but the series can’t rely on one character.

It must just be me, but I didn’t think Baltar with his pants down was that funny. It was slightly awkward at best.

Ellen Tigh was a real surprise. I’m so used to finding strong women in SciFi today that I didn’t expect Ellen to be a total bimbo. She will be a reoccurring character, but probably with no larger a role then the other supporting characters. Ellen was funny, if not slightly annoying at times. But it really did show a lot of background for Col Tigh. Speaking of which, when did his first name change from Paul to Saul? It was promoted as Paul for the mini… oh well.

The Caprica scenes are starting to get a little old. We see a 4 minute episode every week, and not much seems to change. This week was slightly better, since some action started. The cylons really really want Sharon and Helo dead. Even though it appears that they are all jealous that she has serious emotions.

re: Caprica, I think I might splice together all the Caprica scenes at the end of the season, to create a normal 44 minute episode. It might be easier to watch then.

Sci -Fi wrote:

The chain of command gets fuzzy with lots of horizontal and diagonal dotted lines below Col Tigh. Apollo, the Doctor (and a Captain we haven’t seen since the mini) have rank on Gaeta. But it appears that Gaeta, as tactical officer, is third in line for ship operations. In Water, we saw him as the officer of the watch, so he clearly has authority on the ship. Considering that we haven’t seen many other officers, my guess is that if Adama and Tigh cannot command, he will have to. Maybe Apollo will, but as CAG, I don’t know how he fits into the overall ship command structure. Apollo might be too busy with fighter operations, since Starbuck doesn’t want the job of CAG. Either way, Gaeta’s a senior officer.

I’m not even going comment on Baltar and the cylon detector here. Its too big a discussion. I’ll have to start a new thread.

I’ll have the review up by Friday, hopefully. This is going to be another one of those long reviews, with lots of side comments.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.