Star Control 2, Free game for Linux/9x

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Star Control 2, Free game for Linux/9x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Like Lexx? B5? Then download this game immediatly and enjoy =) It was made open source a few years ago and fans have built it up to support multiplayer combat as well as cross-platform play. This is a rare game with more depth than most novels. It has ‘easter egg’ humor from everything from Hitchhikers to Red Dwarf to A. Bester

You play a human Captain on a “Star Trek” to unite a bunch of whacky aliens to defeat the coming “Doctrinal War” between the Ur-Quan races. Earth has been enslaved but you are at the helm of a great “Precursor” vessel capable of destroying entire armadas of ships, unfortunatly you ran out of material after the skeleton was made and will have to build it up over time. You will also command ships in your armada, visit strange planets to collect minerals and life-forms for trade. You will meet aliens from the cowardly yet humerous Spathi, to the disgusting bio-scientists, the Umgah.

LINK:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

edit: quicker links =) All have been virus-checked and CRCd

Win/9X download
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sc2/uqm-0.2-win32-installer.exe?download

Mac/OSX

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sc2/uqm-0.2-macosx.dmg?download

——————————————————————
    Storyline (brief) up to the start of SC2, from my PoV, varies from documentation to documentation:
    ———————————————————————————–
    Early in the 21st century Humanity united after a great war. They banished all nuclear weapons to the dark side of the moon, forever entombed. Seeking a new form of labor to bring about a “Golden Age” mankind created a race of psuedo humans to serve our needs. These machines were made in the image of man and woman but had no real biology which brought forth their mocking nickname: The Androsynth. The Androsynth eventually evolved far beyond humanity, but rather than destroy their creators they came up with a far better and bloodless idea.

In one day a sweeping revolt took over Earth, the Androsynth seized control of local star ports used to ferry mining ships back and forth from Mars. Humanity was stunned, for the Androsynth had no where to run, then a giant red portal opened in the heavens and the Androsynth disapeared. They would not be seen again for almost 50 years.

For the next decade mankind was troubled by two questions: Where had the Androsynth gone? And what was that red portal?

The answer would never come from humans, instead of reaching out into the stars to find our own way, the stars came to us.

On an ordinary average day, everything changed when a message from space was received across Earth.

Humans,
    An invading thrall army is approaching Earth. We represent the Alliance of Free Stars, dedicated to ending the threat of the Hierarchy. Will you join us?

This simple message changed humanity forever. The next 24 hours human kind was silent, then in an overwhelming vote they decided to take up arms and defend their planet.

The truth was the Alliance did not want Earth, but were desperate losing the war they would take any ally. In a massive surprise Earth revealed its Nuclear Tomb on the moon and suddenly the Alliance had a fresh barrage of weapons. And even more unexpectedly a new race emerged wishing to help, surprsingly….the humans.

They called themselves the Arilou, but their origins are a mystery.

Among the Hierarchy races they met their old slaves the Androsynth once again. Those red portals had been a thing called “HyperSpace”, a way of travelling ‘beneath’ or ‘above’ real space much faster. They also met the Spathi, a cowardly race that only served out of fear of death. Most Hierarchy races were good guys, but had no choice but serve the leaders of the Hierarchy, the Ur-Quan.

The Ur-Quan were the oldest known race in space, over 20,000 years old. Their motives are a mystery, only that they seem to be collecting these races to prove their religion correct.

The war raged on for dozens of years, until finally the Alliance fell. They were given a simple choice: Join the Thralls, or be forever enslaved under a red shield. Most chose the shield, including Earth, but most surprising of all was the revelation that the Hierarchy was fighting something even more evil than they were. One race, a hamster like race called the Shiofixi(sp) chose a different route, they lured an armada of Ur-Quan to their home system to put up the slave shield. At the moment of Ur-Quan victory a brave young captain flew his ship into the Sun detonating the “Glory Device” igniting the entire solar system in a massive supernova. Their patrons, the loyal and honorable Yehats, a raptor/bird like species chose to serve the Ur-Quan and fight rather than lose their warrior caste and become grounded forever.

Upon a world called Unzervault(sp) a human science mission was marooned. A generation later a human was born with the ability to communicate with the “Precursor” artifacts upon the planet, this child built a great vessel and chose to return to Earth to join the war.

Star Control 2 begins as you enter the Sol System…..enjoy =)

PS if you want the WHOLE story, visit this site for EVERYTHING about Starcontrol 1-3, including starmaps and walkthroughs.

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/

Anonymous

Cool!

I’m patiently downloading it now ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Yeah, just a warning it’s a 3d0 port, so it’s about 150 megs. The original game had no voice acting and was only 20 megabytes.

The great thing is this game plays in a window and under just about any OS. Which means you can bring up another window with the Starmap and the walkthrough if needed =) (Looking for links now, probably on the site above) And it will be, the game is VERY difficult to play through without a hint from time to time.

edit: Here’s a link for all the info you could ever need for StarControl 1 through 3

http://www.classicgaming.com/starcontrol/

Where this game truly shines is in the dialog between your character and the other races as you meet them and deal with them. And even though the game is roughly a decade old, the music still kinda owns as well.

Rag
    Participant

Star control rings a bell. I seem to recall playing it back when I had a 286 (yes, many moons ago). If it is the one I’m thinking of, it’s ace!!!! crashed a lot back then though. I’ll let you know if it’s the one I knew and loved. Then I’ll see you online and dish out whuppings to those that need whupping

๐Ÿ˜‰

[short pause]

IT IS!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehe. Me LIKE! <huge grin> I’m gonna download it now!!!!!

Chears LL. You’re now on my Christmas card list. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous
    Rag wrote:

Star control rings a bell. I seem to recall playing it back when I had a 286 (yes, many moons ago). If it is the one I’m thinking of, it’s ace!!!! crashed a lot back then though. I’ll let you know if it’s the one I knew and loved. Then I’ll see you online and dish out whuppings to those that need whupping

๐Ÿ˜‰

Yup, that’s probably Star Control I, I think. Was for the 286/386 think I played it on an IBM PS2 =0 It crashed quite a bit and was a pure strategy game vs SC2 which is more of an adventure game with a melee/explorer modules added in.

SC2 is very old as well, dont expect flashy graphics or anything, its *very* old school so to speak.

There’s actually 3 games in the series, but the third was not made by the creators (though it does have an interesting plot).

lexxrobotech
    Participant

You know, I was, and am, quite heavely involved in Star Control.

I beta tested Star Control 3, and started and anti-StarCon 3 website. Im also involved in the pages of Now and Forever (The biggest, oldest Star Control web site.) I have the original games as well as the full colour map and black and white blown up map.

Star Control and the Sierra Quest games are my thing. They are my fav past time. That and Lexx and Robotech.

Anonymous

STAR CONTROL 2 FOR DOWNLOAD?! YEEHAAW! ZEX ROX! FWIFFO SPIFFO! YAY FOR THE ARILOULALEELAY!

You can tell I like this game, can’t you? ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    ”The wrote:

STAR CONTROL 2 FOR DOWNLOAD?! YEEHAAW! ZEX ROX! FWIFFO SPIFFO! YAY FOR THE ARILOULALEELAY!

You can tell I like this game, can’t you? ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜‰

lol.

And dont forget to *enjoy* the *sauce*!!

Anonymous

Remember, too, that the best *parties* are in the *middle*, and that only *silly cows* *die*, and that to be a *camper*, one must *squirt nice colours* and *dance*! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜›

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Happy days and jubilation!!!
    (as the almighty Spathi have to say)

Its nice to know SC2 is still pulling a crowd.

Rag
    Participant

LL – Look what you’ve started!!

It was SC2 I had. I’ll always remember waking up in my room at University at 5 in the morning to find a mate sitting in front of the PC furiously playing SC2. He’d been there since mid afternoon. I’d come back when the bar shut and told him to pi… um… go away so I could have a go before I went to bed. He was just going to get to a position he could save it. I must have crashed before he did. Not really surprising if he’d still not managed to save it 5 hours later!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought starcon 1+2 on budget after enjoying a demo of SCIII, unfortunately I never managed to get a copy of that, they did have one left in a local HMV, but it was selling for ยฃ35 or more, which seemed extreme for what was an aged game even at that time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.