Stargate Atlantis – did you like it?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Stargate SG-1 Stargate Atlantis – did you like it?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kamisama103
    Participant

Did you like Stargate Atlantis? I didn’t. Not in the least. It made me sad. The only redeeming factor was the Scottish/Irish guy in the cast who was in it for like 5 minutes total.

Barabbas
    Participant

Honestly I’d like to know why the unhappiness of the spin-off I think they did a pretty creative job as the new threat. And well for likening an accent should not be the basis of a negative comment of a pilot. Only the first season will tell the true longevity of the show. If the writing continues in this way (sometimes they fail ) it might make it for few seasons. My G/F isn’t the biggest Sci-fi fan and seen a handful of SG-1 Epps. and she liked it too. Well that’s the report on both ends of the spectrum. Rebuttal??

Anonymous

I watched it twice, just to be sure I hated it. And I’ll watch it the next couple weeks.

Barabbas wrote:

Honestly I’d like to know why the unhappiness of the spin-off I think they did a pretty creative job as the new threat.

Hmm, not sure I consider the Marilyn Manson look “creative”.

All they did was take the whole “undead” myth and toss it in the mix as a rival to the Ancients. Calling them “Wraiths” is simply the pedantic cherry on the overused plots cupcake. What do we know about them? An extremely powerful race! Great.

Next weeks ep of SG-1 is about body-snatchers. That’s never been used before…

The lead actor is the ham of all hams. He’s completely unbelievable in this role. And so generic it makes me want to laugh.

“A wild card is given the most important assignment off Earth.”

Uh, I thought that was Oneill?

And the girl?

Just wander around aimlessly looking mysterious. Then breathe in real deep before each line and repeat it slowly with broad shoulders.

Welcome to the Delenn school of acting.

I’ll give a shot, I do like the Irish guy, and the asshole scientist that for some reason toned down his attitude much to my chagrin.

But I was really hoping they would jump right in to the Atlantis myth. But they never mention the Minoans, they never talk about the Greeks, and only mention Plato once, and in another reference.

What does this really have to do with Atlantis, other than in name? There’s plenty of material to draw upon, but apparantly they’ve never read it. So they took a cool name and applied it to a new show.

What you’re left with is just another show about a group of people fighting a seemingly hopeless war against an enigmatic race. With the same name as the show before it.

To be brutally honest; this is simply a short-term Arc, not a series of it’s own. And as such they will churn out meaningless content until it’s cancelled. I’d bet on it.

kamisama103
    Participant

OKay… where to start. Hmm… It started out decent enough with the ancients (stupid name I think… i mean do they call themselves the ancients? probably not) leaving earth.

Fast forward to Antartica we are in a really fake looking base, not sure why i think that I just think it is really fake looking. We got this Irish dude in a chair trying to make it light up good and he fires a missile. Alright that kinda works. The guy is funny. Then we are at Oneill and umm… the new oneill.

He was only a good actor once in this episode and that is when he first sat in the chair because he looked like he just shat himself.

Ok. So they need a bunch of power to go across the universe. Scary looking scientist lady gives a speech.

Get there and realize they are in a fake looking atlantis base underwater.

Apparently they are running out of power and the dome is gonna collapse so they go to another world with a bunch of people that speak ENGLISH! Who wear clothes that look really fake. And have a lady that acts like Spock except not as good – I bet she is gonna be a main character and love interest for oneill 2.

Eventually a bunch of mean alien ships appear and kidnap people.
    KICK INTO pilot for SG-1 where they first go to a alien planet and people get kidnapped and then they go rescue them.

Oh, yeah the whole plot about needing energy to survive in Atlantis was just stupid, it wasted an hour of time and the damn city rose up right before it was supposed to kill the damn people.

What is convienent is the spaceships they got in the Atlantis base. Turns out the Wraith (what the hell kinda of name is that? Its as good as the ancients) have a stargate floating in space. Coincidence? Probably.

Well the Wraith look like a bunch of cheap looking generic Sci-Fi/Horror bad guys. I mean the lady looks like a mix between Marilyn Manson and a inhabitant of Innsmouth from Shadow over Innsmouth and the Dagon movie.

Also they will live forever and are hard to hurt (the cool canadian scientist guy tells us this – one of the only things he does), except anyone that isnt the main lady of course. Her guards were like killed in one shot and she took atleast a dozen. Oh. They speak English too.

They happen to suck out people’s life energy. Life energy huh? I could understand maybe some form of bio-energy but they say life energy and he drains away and turns into a skeleton. WHY DID THEY KILL THE T-1000? Why?

Well they rescue stupid spock lady and everything is fine. Yay.

Then Oneill 2 has a drink with scary scientist lady… start of shitting series. I bet it will last a long time like stupid ass Tremors… and not be cancelled like cool shows like Farscape. Course they didn’t cancel Tripping the Rift, so they might be smart and cancel this.

(EDIT = forgot the word planet after the word alien earlier)

kamisama103
    Participant

So am I to assume people agree with me?

SlickWhistle
    Participant

Admittedly, I’ve had a problem with SG when it was kept and FarScape was let go. (D**n that Bonnie Hammer ๐Ÿ˜ก ).

1. I liked the Scottish guy
    2. I liked the chemistry between the actors
    3. I liked the pilot guy
    4. I didn’t like killing off Robert Patrick — he needs a job. ๐Ÿ˜€
    5. I don’t like the overwhelming, seemingly indestructive enemy storyline.
    6. I don’t like alway dark and depressing stuff.

Bottom line: Jury is still out — I will probably watch a couple more times and give it a chance.

Headgehog
    Participant
    kamisama103 wrote:

OKay… where to start. Hmm… It started out decent enough with the ancients (stupid name I think… i mean do they call themselves the ancients? probably not) leaving earth.

Then Oneill 2 has a drink with scary scientist lady… start of shitting series.

Ever consider writing sadgeezer reviews?

I wasn’t impressed with the new series. It’s barely even set in the same universe as SG1. More to the point, it seems rather simple, and unimaginative. Would’ve worked ten years ago, but not so much today.

I’ll give it a few more weeks, but I can’t even guarentee I’ll watch it live. It may be recorded and watched later.

I too liked the fake Scot with an Irish accent, and the Canafian scientist/engineer. But it’s hard to do much with them, especialy when the rest of the cast seems even more one demensional.

kamisama103
    Participant

Are you kidding?

Barabbas
    Participant

I’m still sticking to my guns… YOU try to write a series. But anyways I think it’ll still last longer than 3 seasons.

Headgehog
    Participant
    kamisama103 wrote:

Are you kidding?[/quote]
    No.

Just add some more filler to the write up, add a few pics and what you’ve got is a sadgeezer.com review. One of the fun parts of writing a review can be tearing an episode apart, saying something to the effect of, “And that’s when I threw my beer at the TV”.

kamisama103
    Participant
    Headgehog wrote:

kamisama103 wrote:

Are you kidding?[/quote]
    No.

Just add some more filler to the write up, add a few pics and what you’ve got is a sadgeezer.com review. One of the fun parts of writing a review can be tearing an episode apart, saying something to the effect of, “And that’s when I threw my beer at the TV”.[/quote]

More filler? No problem, I just didn’t want it to be to long last time. Hmm pictures. The only way I would get pictures is if I would get them off other sites and put them on my angelfire account because I don’t know how to get them off tv myself. Other than that I could probably do it. Depending on what you want me to review of course.

Anonymous

I’ve read the review, I’ve read the threads and I have to say:

“I like SG1, I like Stargate (Film), but I’m very disapointed with what I’ve heard about Stargate Atlantis, it sounds like a half-assed, half-baked spinoff that will exist to make a little money out of the franchise”

Rin
    Participant

I was SO disapointed with this, i watched the first 3 eps just to make sure, though i can safely say, i hated it.
    What a let-down, i am a huge fan of SG-1, not the original movie so much, and this ‘spin-off’ just didnt give it any credit, it had no substance at all, in my opinion.

Headgehog
    Participant

It got better as the season progressed. Not a lot better, but its becoming its own series now, and not just some Staragte spinoff. Though in truth, the only reason I watch it and not record it is because it come on before BSG. Otherwise it’s would always be VCR fodder.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Oneill 2 is the perfect distinction for Major Sheppard.

What I did like about this series is the appearnace of the Wraith…not the storyline so much, mind you…but just the Wraith themselves…especailly the red haired female in one of the first episodes…in her blue dress- she was quite the fetching vampiric alien…

corvina
    Participant

Yeah I totally agree with you Sidhi! The Wraith are the only reason I watch the show..we’re just getting it now in the UK.. but I did identify and empathise the species and particulalrywith Ms Redhaired Wraith.

I know the look I’m going with when I start to look really old! Stuff L’Oreal think Wraith..’because I’m worth it’!

Anonymous

Steve the Wraith is funny, where the hell does he get his outfits from?

steve wrote:

Yes, I’d like the Goth suit in black{/quote]

Hollydays
    Participant

hmmm..until I read the mini-review there, I had thought it was pretty good….but then I read that post and I was like “oh yeah, your right…oh yeah, that also..””

yep – another great saddie reviewer is born!

(I did enjoy the whole banter between the two guys on the rescue mission though )

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.