Storyline…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve never actually heard of STarhunter. Can someone tell us what the show is about….. and possibly what makes it so cool?

Anonymous

Well Saddy, the thing is, most of us (well, actually, I) have just seen the first season of Starhunter, and we do not have much to go on. But, here goes….

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

A
    H
    E
    A
    D
    !

Starhunter revolves around an an ex-farmer (correct me if I’m wrong) turned bounty hunter named Dante Montana (crap name, but bear with me a moment), as well as his neice Priscilla (Percy for short) and his security officer Lucretia Scott (Luke).

As you can see, the show’s strong points do not include names. But enough editorializing. Back to the story.

Dante is a bounty hunter in a lawless Solar System (forget the Galaxy folks, apparently we can’t even handle nine planets), however, neither law and order nor money are the real reasons Dante is bounty hunting. He is actually doing this in an effort to look for his lost son, kidnapped at childhood by a group known as the Raiders, and his wife and Percy’s parents dead as a result.In the course of his bounty hunting, he finds out that humanity is heading in an entirely new direction, for example, a boy who has amazing mental powers. In the first season, he learns that humanity is slowly moving towards the next step in evolution, due to a group of 4 genes known as the Divinity Cluster, 2 good, 2 bad. He also learns that the reason only he is sent after these sort of criminals is that Luke is an observer for an Earth-based organisation known as the Orchard (sorta like the FBI, CIA, and a non- psychic Psi-Corps put together), with her father, Darius leading the helm. All is not well in the Orchard, however. While Darius thinks it is best to simply reasearch the Cluster and let humanity go on its natural path, other elements in the Orchard want to unlock the Cluster’s secrets ASAP, so they can benefit themselves. The horrible consequences of what could happen to humanity are revealed to Montana and his crew by a scientist named Eccleston who had originally experimented on accelarating his Cluster. The Orchard itself has also experimented on accelaration in many other people, such as Luke’s ex-husband. After more than a decade of searching, Dante rescues his son from the raiders, and learns that his son’s Cluster had been unlocked by one of the Orchard’s top scientists. His wife….

I think I have pretty much given away the whole plot now, with a few gaps here and there, but you have the general gis, as for your second query, well, the charm of Starhunter is somewhat similar to Red Dwarf, in that they only use minimal special effects, and that the show is almost entire dependent on the characters and storyline, which in my opinion, is better than special effects laden spacebattlefest the Yanks can cook up (with the notable exemption of Babylon 5, which gets to have the proverbial cake and eat it too.) Both the character development and the storyline are very well-developed (although I stil think Percy needs a little more screen time, but that’s just me), and the show strikes a noce balance between standalone and storyline eps.

And that is Starhunter in a nutshell.

Anonymous

BTW, Saddy, I forgot to ask, where exactly do you live? Usually Malaysia only gets its sci-fi after the rest of the planet has a bite, so the fact that you haven’t caught Starhunter and I have is a source of surprise (somewhat pleasant, though; maybe Malaysia is wising up to the fact that sci-fi is actually popular?).

Anonymous

Starhunter revolves around an an ex-farmer (correct me if I’m wrong) turned bounty hunter named Dante Montana (crap name, but bear with me a moment), as well as his neice Priscilla (Percy for short) and his security officer Lucretia Scott (Luke).

LUC!
    Is Malaysia really THAT behind in sci-fi? TV1 on Austar’s been airing series 1 long enough for it to go through it 4 times and it’s only recently been taken off the Sci-Fi Sector on Saturday (leaving it with only the Wednesday night episodes).
    Anyrhoda…
    In the first episode, we find out about the Divinity Cluster… the same guy (Eccleston)responsible for THAT shows up again in the very last episode and I would advise you to wear earmuffs while he sings. There’s a topic in General sci-fi with addresses, too.
    It’s also worth noting that their ship is called The Tulip!

[ 27-09-2002: Message edited by: the chameleon ]

Anonymous

Yes, Cammy, when it comes to sci-fi, my grand nation is so far behind we’ve set speed records for going backwards. I think i wrote here somewhere that we got Babylon 5: Crusade in 2002. How’s THAT for slow, hmm?

BTW, I know it’s spelt Luc, from ‘Lucretia’, but I think that ‘Luke’ looks a lot better in print, dontcha think?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by The Invisible Lunatic:
    BTW, Saddy, I forgot to ask, where exactly do you live?

In England in a one hourse town called Preston

Anonymous

I think i wrote here somewhere that we got Babylon 5: Crusade in 2002. How’s THAT for slow, hmm?

You get Crusade? That’s not fair! We don’t even get Babylon 5 on normal TV!
    Anyway, if you want speed records on being backwards, 3 years ago we got to see Series 2 and 3 of Lexx. A year later, we saw Series 4. AND THEY HAVE ONLY JUST PREMIERED SERIES ONE!!

BTW, I know it’s spelt Luc, from ‘Lucretia’, but I think that ‘Luke’ looks a lot better in print, dontcha think?

It’s very confusing!

Anonymous

YOU GET LEXX?!

[ 28-09-2002: Message edited by: The Invisible Lunatic ]

Anonymous

LOL!
    It seems we Aussies are lucky in sci-fi in some ways!
    I’m not advocating that our sci-fi is better than your sci-fi, but… IT IS!!!!!

[ 29-09-2002: Message edited by: the chameleon ]

Anonymous

WAAAAH!

Anonymous

Luc, not Luke.

For heaven’s sake, TIL, get it right *tsk tsk* ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

kant hepl it kamelien, im a dilsexic with speling prooblmz ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ™„

Anonymous

LOL!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was I the only one who thought the show’s title a little misleading? I came in with the high-hopes that it would be like that astronomically great variety show, Star Search. ๐Ÿ™‚

Okay, this is a show I have watched now and then, but mainly because of Percy. She was in one of my favourite Canadian shows, The Newsroom playing a similar sort of character.

Must try to catch the newer season; Dante’s infernal character was pretty dull and depressing.

ladytass
    Participant

This is a spoiler for those who have yet not seen season two so DO NOT READ unless you don’t mind being spoilt ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

The Travis in season one is a fake, the real Travis shows up in season two.
    The Tulip is a heck of alot more powerful and has alot more weaponry than seen in season 1
    Dante is M.I.A. Percy is lost and alone and very afraid.
    Luc is gone and presumed dead
    Carravaggio is no longer the uppity snob we all loved
    And lastly I for one miss the original it had more of a flare to it. The second season was ok but not what I expected. It took awhile to grow on you.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I just noticed this show when it was on early on Sunday morning. It seemed to somewhat resemble Andromeda. I’ll have to time-set my VCR to watch it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.