Stupid IWHS question

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Stupid IWHS question

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Was The Lexx the brainchild of the heretics or The Divine Order? I thought I knew, but now I’m not so sure. I know Stanley had the info in his tooth. Was it stolen from The Divine Order, or was it the other way around? Just watched IWHS and all the biz with the two keys, two colors threw me off(again!)I haven’t seen all of S-2 so I don’t know if this was addressed.

Anonymous

It’s a subject for debate =) But to give you my personal proof and speculation it was the Heretics idea BUT originally came from the Brunnin-G.

Evidence:
    In IWHS and other eps, it is said that Stanley Tweedle contained the blueprints for the Lexx in his tooth as well as the location of the Reform planets.

In Brigadoom it is said that shortly before their demise, the Brunnin-G contacted the outside world for the very first time in 1000s of years.

Speculation:

This was the time when the Divine Order was first on the rise. Brunnis 2 was one of the first planets attacked and destroyed by HDS. Meaning at this time there would’ve been decent resistance. Its my belief that the Brunnin-G transmitted their insect technology to the Ostral-B planets, which became the center of the resistance.

They planned on using the Lexx to destroy the Foreshadow. But did not have the technology yet to create such a vehicle.

Evidence:

Thodin has symbols of dragonflies and other curious Brunnin-G like colors on his skirt. No other characters wear such items.

Speculation:

After the Divine Order stole the plans for the Lexx, Thodin and the other Heretics devised a backup plan, of duplicating the key to the Lexx.

Evidence:

Thodin tells Stanley that millions died so that he could gain the key to the Lexx from the bio scholars that created it.

Speculation:
    Thodin allowed himself to be captured so that he could steal the Lexx and destroy the Cluster.

Just some thoughts on the subject =)

Anonymous

One last thing a lil over a year ago there was a fantastic thread on IWHS and the line:

quote:

An Insect, curious.

Each of us seemed to have a different interpetation so it made for a great thread. But I also think this is further evidence. No humans had insect technology but the Brunnin-G, I cant prove that but Im nearly sure of it.

In Brigadoom it is explained that the Brunnin-G kept the insects for their “Curious techology”. Interesting that he used the same word as HDS. But from that I think it indicates that not only was HDS surprised anyone had Insect Technology, but perhaps he was afraid it could be used against him.

Anonymous

The real question you should ask yourself is, “Who invented insect DNA in the first place?” Perhaps the insects were not alien competitors but a biohack by the ancient humans that went hideously wrong. After all, just how many other superior species do you see galloping about the Lexxverse? Seems terribly coincidental there were humans and insects and nothing else of tremendous importance. Maybe originally there were just humans. Or…maybe in the Beginning there the Insects and They in their Divine stupidity created mankind who usurped Them? That could explain why their last consious member uses the term Divine or at least inspires it in the humans that were enslaved.

Yes, the Insects were first but Who created Them? The Insect Overlord of course!

lizard
    Participant

I think the first to harness insect technology for their own purposes were the Brunnen G. too. After all, they had to fight the insects, and one has to learn from ones enemy.

This discussion of an experiment gone wrong makes me wonder if things could have been different– in a less lexx-like universe maybe insects and humans could blend successfully into some new species, and not eradicate each other.

If I had to be part insect, I would definitely choose spider.

Anonymous

The LEXX was commissioned and designed by the Divine Order. The Supreme Biovizier Brizon claimed credit for the design and schematics of the LEXX. Mantrid, his successor, also implied he was familiar with the schematics of the LEXX.

Apparently, about 8 or 9 years before the events of IWHS, amino acid codes which were essential to the construction of the LEXX apparently fell into the hands of the Ostral B. The Ostral B were transporting the codes to the Reform Planets when at least one set of codes was intercepted and recovered by the Divine Order (Stanley Tweedle’s capture).

Since Stan was an assistant deputy backup courier, I would assume that Stan’s codes were duplicates and that others, the courier, the backup courier, and the deputy backup courier all carried the codes as well.

This raises two interesting problems. First, why weren’t the heretics producing their own LEXX, if they had spares?

My best guess is that the destruction of the 96 reform planets gutted the industrial capacity of the reform planets and cost them the technical infrastructure necessary to build one.

Second, if as we see in Brizon, the LEXX was originally designed by the Divine Order, then why did they need Tweedle’s codes?

There are two options – one is that Brizon lied and the LEXX was entirely a Heretic project until subsumed by the Divine Order. This is possible, but on the basis of historical evidence, probably not likely.

The other option is that the Divine Order project was infiltrated and irreparably compromised by the heretics. Thodin’s mission is proof that such infiltration and covert actions took place. I consider this more likely, and it may be one of the reasons why both Brizon and Mantrid wound up surviving the Cleansing.

They certainly weren’t on The Cluster when it hit. It may be that one or both men were involved or suspected in a disaster that resulted in the Lexx program falling apart and the heretics getting the codes. Mantrid was imprisoned, and Brizon, somehow was apparently able to run free in a personal, insect based spaceship.

My guess would be that Brizon actually headed up the LEXX project, sold out to the heretics and made a break for it. He destroyed the LEXX project while escaping, and delivered the amino acids to the Ostral B. He probably killed or subverted most of the other people on the project. The two Erikan code techs were probably apprentices of his. Mantrid remained under a cloud of suspicion, but was allowed to continue. He was eventually imprisoned.

As for the historical evidence, here’s the relevant data.

First comes the Insects.

Next comes the Brunnen G who defeat the insects and develop insect technology from their conquests.

Insect technology falls out of favour and is eventually abandoned, preserved only in museums. (Reference from Brigadoom, also, no sign of insect tech on Brunnis in Supernova).

HDS is an insect.

The Divine Order apparently starts up using hand me down Brunnen G technology. But apparently not insect tech. (Mark Laing, production designer, IWHS).

Divine Order attacks Brunnis II. Kai and friends fight back with relic insect technology.

HDS finds the wreck of insect craft interesting.

Divine Order spends next 2000 years unlocking secrets of insect technology.
    (Cinefantastique magazine, interview with creators).

Brizon flies a ship identical to one used by Kai. Also, in addition to Lexx, the moths are insect craft. This suggests that the Divine Order was doing the Insect tech work.

Historically

sgtdraino
    Participant

Oh cool, my favorite kind of discussion!

And I get to “Duke” it out with Valdron, “Prince” of obscure Lexx trivia!

Stan makes it clear in IWHS that “all this (the Lexx) came from a tiny capsule of amino acids in my tooth.” This would indicate to me that the creation of the Lexx was directly dependent on those codes.

But, as Valdron says, Brizon claims to have designed the Lexx. Was Brizon lying? Perhaps. You’ll note that, while Valdron’s pendant gives him control of Kai and other devices of his original design, it does not give him control of the Lexx.

However, I do believe Brizon was telling the truth. So what gives?

Simple. Stanley’s codes contained some information related to insect-based biotechnology, but not specifically the Lexx. The Divine Order then used this general information to design the Lexx. Thus, the Lexx was designed by the Divine Order, based on biotech intercepted from the Heretics.

I too believe the Heretics got this information, either directly or indirectly, from the Brunnen-G, the originators of insect biotech. Thodin is obviously familiar with the Brunnen-G and the Prophecy, stating so when he first sees Kai.

Think about that. The Brunnen-G died 2000 years before Thodin’s time, and were in isolation for thousands of years before that. And so far as we know, only Kai and HDS were originally aware of the Time Prophet’s Prophecy. Yet when Thodin sees Kai for the first time, he instantly recognizes him as Brunnen-G, and asks about the Prophecy. Clearly the Brunnen-G must hold some significance for the Ostral-B. Or at least for Thodin.

But I’m getting off track.

Valdron’s production designer and creator references obviously trump any pet theories I might have. So, is there any way to reconcile the two?

Yes. The Heretics were after a weapon with which to combat the Divine Order. What I believe they came up with, is the design for the Lexx’s primary weapon. The Divine Order may have been working with Brunnen-G biotech ever since the destruction of Brunnis 2, but when it came to designing a planet-destroying weapon, the Heretics came up with the design first.

How do we know this? Simple. The Divine Order did not have a weapon of the Lexx’s magnitude until the Lexx was fully grown in IWHS. They make a big deal out of the Lexx being the first, and most powerful, weapon in the two universes. Before the Lexx, the Megashadow (which was not biotech) was HDS’s most powerful weapon.

Since the Lexx was ultimately derived from Stanley’s codes, that means it was designed and grown in the few years (3? 3.5?) between the time Stanley was captured, and IWHS.

It also explains the rapidity with which the Divine Order destroyed the Reform Planets. Once HDS realized the Heretics had designs for such a powerful weapon, he knew they had to be stomped on hard and fast, before they could build it.

Now here’s a puzzler for you all:

Indications are given in the series that the 94 Reform Planets (and 6 allied planets) were all destroyed quite rapidly, apparently almost simultaneously, in a “surprise attack,” in some way using the amino acid codes that allow friendly ships to pass through the planets’ defensive shields.

The question is, how? Even the Lexx, the most powerful weapon in the two universes, can only destroy one planet at a time, and HDS didn’t even have the Lexx at that time. So how did HDS manage to destroy 100 planets almost simultaneously?

I have a theory of my own, but I’d like to hear some others first.

Discuss!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by sgtdraino:

Think about that. The Brunnen-G died 2000 years before Thodin’s time, and were in isolation for thousands of years before that. And so far as we know, only Kai and HDS were originally aware of the Time Prophet’s Prophecy. Yet when Thodin sees Kai for the first time, he instantly recognizes him as Brunnen-G, and asks about the Prophecy. Clearly the Brunnen-G must hold some significance for the Ostral-B. Or at least for Thodin.

But I’m getting off track.

Permit me to jump on your off-track for a moment.The questions you just posed are
    exactly what I have been working on lately!

The Ostral-B were of Brunnen-G descent. When the Brunnis sun started dying, I believe a small part of their population did not migrate into the Light Universe, but settled on a remote planet suitable to sustain life, in the Dark Zone..perhaps a place used as a remote outpost, perhaps a research facility or safehouse of sorts, used during the Insect Wars. I theorize the reason for the division of the Brunnen-G was religious, and had something to do with “The Burst of Life”…(a fact Valdron pointed out to me, confirming some of my own suspicions-but now I’m getting off-track).

I suspect the Brunnen-G who remained in the Dark Zone continued to develope the insect technology, and I also think it makes sense that their very survival depended on technology in general, and they developed deep space craft capable of transporting them back and forth between the two universes.

Since their culture appears to have been an ancient one, it also makes sense that the Brunnen-G who remained behind eventually sought out Brunnis 2 in the Light Universe, longing to be with their own kind, or, a darker theory, seeking their own kind in an attempt to keep their blood pure, and avoid reducing themselves to inbreeding, and genetic idiocy. Is it not possible that Brunnis 2 erected its shields to protect themselves from their own kin, who had taken to forcibly raiding their population for this purpose? Once the shields were up, the pure Brunnen-G from the Dark Zone randomly settled other planets in The Light Universe, ultimatly interbreeding with the native populus, and probably transporting some of the “superior specimens” of these other cultures back to the Dark Zone.

In any event, eventually none of them were of pure blood, but they still considered themselves Brunnen-G. They secretly continued and spread various aspects of that culture to select planets in the Light Universe (it is very clear the heretics knew the fractal core and that is was passable, reinforcing my theory they all contained some degree of Brunnen-G blood). Kai’s population fell to decadence and ruin, but technically, the Brunnen-G survived.

As the threat of His Shadow grew, it’s reasonable to assume the other Brunnen-G (of the Dark Zone descent) consulted the Time Prophet themselves, and were made aware of the prophecy. I would like to think they renewed their efforts to contact their estranged kin, but were rejected. Or perhaps they interpreted The Prophecy to mean that they would be the ones to destroy The Divine Order. It would depend on how they posed the question. Possibly they withdrew to the safety of the Dark Zone. It is obvious that they were not anywhere near Brunnis 2 when it was destroyed. Apparently Kai and the other newborns never knew their full history, perhaps it was forbidden, most likely forgotten…(neither did His Shadow, for that matter. When he heard the prophecy he directed all his hatred on Brunnis 2, hence his statement “This last specimen of the now extinct culture” etc….)

Once the annihilation of Brunnis became known,the remaining Brunnen-G, infuriated, set their sites on developing their own weapon of mass-destruction. Using their base in the Dark Zone they spent the next two millennia focused on developing said weapon, not only to protect themselves but to avenge Brunnis 2. Maintaining communication with the Light Universe, they were the driving force behind the Reform Planets, and supplied the original information that was intercepted and ultimately refined and used to create the Lexx. When Stanley was captured, the D.Z. Brunnen-G cut all communication with the Light Zone in an effort to protect themselves. They did not possess the industry needed to actually produce their concept weapon, and now the Divine Order had the coordinates to the Fractal Core (or so they feared).

It was totally in the hands of the Ostral-B heretics to infiltrated the ranks of the Divine Order’s “special projects”. When all was ready, Thodin, a direct descendent of the Brunnen-G (and possessing all the charisma and fashion-sense of his ancestors) resolved to steal the Lexx. That is why so many put their faith in the possibility of defeating the Divine Order…
    because they knew of the prophecy, and they knew their heritage!

It gave everyone a valid reason to hope! The prophecy never said “but when His Shadow leaves the Cluster, he will be destroyed at the hands of the last pure-blooded Brunnen-G!

Sidenote-The actual act of having Kai decarbonized and reused appears to be an act of pure arrogance and hatred on the part of that particular His Divine Shadow. I don’t think his host brain was properly cleansed. I theorize the subsequent Divine Shadows were afraid of The Prophecy and did not use Kai at all…I do not think Kai had been awakened and used for a good thousand years or so…(there was no knowledge or rumour of him amongst those with Brunnen-G blood.)

It was human error on the part of two Divine Shadows that caused The Prophecy to be set in motion!

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: Trini_T ]

Anonymous

I always thought that the Divine Order only ever got hold of insect technology when they got the amino acid codes from Stan. I suppose it may be possible that they had it after Kai crashed his Stinger insect craft into HDS’s control pod.

I have tried to put some of the Lexx back story in my web site here
    http://www.geocities.com/pyramusb

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.