Taken

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

I just received a bit of news about the SciFi Channel. The news was in an email from Satellite News pertaining to the upcoming schedule for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

‘Note: MST3K goes on a four-week hiatus in late November and early December,
    as the channel runs lots of alien-themed movies and specials, all part of
    their promotional push for their upcoming miniseries “Taken.”‘

What this obviously means is that there is going to be an endless media blitz about this X-Files rip-off that is about five years out-of-date. All your favorite shows will be suspended. You thought that the ads during every single commercial break was bad enough? Just wait one month. You will submit to the New SciFi Order.

Too bad I don’t watch the SciFi Channel anymore. I might have been upset with the prospect of all my favorite SciFi Channel shows preempted with endless promotionals and theme-related programming and movies. But since SciFi has proven time and again that they hate everyone in sci-fi fandom, I don’t have to burden myself with watching that channel.

Do I get a “hell yeah?”

Anonymous

I still watch Sci-Fi only cause its the only channel that shows old not new Outer Limit reruns. But thats about it anymore =/ Oh and William Shatners Fright Night is probably their best show now.

Its a return to Elvira type movie hosting, but with Shatner at the helm

However channel 9 in LA, a local channel, now syndicates I-Man, Jules Verne, etc… and is quickly becoming my replacement to Sci-Fi

Flamegrape
    Participant

No offense to Bill, but if they’re going to show intentionally cheesey movies, why not rerun old episodes of MST3K from the Comedy Central era?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    No offense to Bill, but if they’re going to show intentionally cheesey movies, why not rerun old episodes of MST3K from the Comedy Central era?

Because they don’t hold broadcast rights for those episodes, nor for the films contained therein. That’s one of the reasons why you only see a handful of the same episodes from seasons 8-10: Sci Fi doesn’t have broadcast rights to those films in any state — altered (by adding Mike and the Bots) or otherwise. That’s also why Rhino only puts out the episodes from the Comedy Central era: they don’t have the video rights to the Sci Fi era eps, or the films they show (which is why the Rhino videocassette of MST3K’s “Amazing Colossal Man” was recalled — rights dispute).

–Aleck

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

dgrequeen
    Participant

All what favorite shows? They already got rid of all of mine.

I read also that Scifi is premiering “Tremors” as a series in January. I liked the first movie, thought the other one stunk, and I can’t even imagine a series.

Fox and UPN, baby.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: dgrequeen ]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.