TAX THIS!

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

From http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-04/24/11.00.books

A Republican candidate for an Alabama congressional seat has proposed a plan to tax science fiction to fund NASA, The Huntsville (Ala.) Times reported. Michael Williams, who is running for the 5th Congressional District seat, proposes a 1 percent “NASA tax” on SF books, comics and any other space-related literature to finance the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the newspaper reported. The tax would also apply to “space, space-related and science fiction toys, puzzles and games,” Williams said in a listing of his platform, the newspaper reported.

I have mixed feelings on this. From a consumer standpoint, 1% can amount to a lot for some products. From a science/engineer standpoint, NASA is desperatly underfunded, and neeeds every penny it can get. Finally from a historicall standpint, placing a tax on something can be used to discourage its purchase. i.e. tobacco tax. This could potentially stunt scifi/space realted sales.

What’s your take?

Flamegrape
    Participant

With all due respect, I think that’s one of the dumbest ideas. Sci-fi fans are usually NOT from the upper classes. It’s yet another way of txing the poor. We have too many taxes.

Why don’t we tax people who buy dumb-ass bubble-gum pop music? That would rake in more dough.

Arg!

dgrequeen
    Participant

Aren’t Republicans supposed to be for *cutting* taxes?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    With all due respect, I think that’s one of the dumbest ideas.

Agreed. Why should it fall solely upon the fans of science fiction to support NASA? While it’s worth funding, why should sci-fi fans have to bear a burden that will lend them no more benefit than anyone else? If NASA needs funding, then spread that tax increase around with more equity instead of penalizing a small group who are doing nothing self-or-otherwise-destructive. I know tons of people who aren’t fans of the genre, and who would gladly have more of their tax dollars go in NASA’s coffers. I mean, what are sci-fi fans going to get in return, anyway? Free tours of the Huntsville NASA center? Discounted rates at SpaceCamp? Are we to tax mystery and true-crime readers to support the local police?

–Aleck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.