The Atlantis Stargate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Stargate Atlantis has a whole new gate effect (sorry for pointing out the obvious) mechanical gate replaced with symbols lighting up along gate with a cool sound, and the new wormhole.

What does everyone think about the effects revamp because I kinda like them (the ancients sure knew how to build gates)

corvina
    Participant
    ”kai” wrote:

Stargate Atlantis has a whole new gate effect

I liked the old mechanical ‘clunkiness’ a lot more, it seems more ‘alien’ and less 21st century Earth. A common fault in a lot of scifi – look at the bridge of Enterprise TNG … looks so much of it’s time. Not many shows get the tech right.

Loved the technology in Lynch’s Dune ….

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I’m thinking the gate effects in Atlantis are supposed to be different- like most peoples you save your best stuff for home – and the Gate builders did the same thing – Atlantis was the Alterrans(sp?) city so it would make sense the that others across the galaxy might not be as advanced as the one in their livingroom.

Make any sense to you??? I mean the one on Earth is only that clunky because they have it hotwired to their own computer dialing system because they didn’t have a DHD for it.

And they might as well – as far as production goes- try to improve on a good thing? The first season’s constant “oh look! they are traveling like this through a wormhole!” footage gets a little old. ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

Not just the earth gate is klunky, the klunkiness is the mechanical rotating aspect.

The gate is certainly more klunky in the film (which I always liked), but a lot of changes happened inthe series (producers having their 2 cents?)

MuadDib
    Participant

I tend to prefer the original gate, the sound is warm and fuzzy to me, also they’ve left themself with a bit of a problem, if anything goes wrong with the DHDs there how are they going to manually dial?

Sidhecafe
    Participant

MuadDib wrote:

also they’ve left themself with a bit of a problem, if anything goes wrong with the DHDs there how are they going to manually dial?

Excellent point…but the whole dialing system in Atlantis seems so much more advanced all around- maybe there’s a fail safe. Dunno…would be cool if they addressed that in an episode.

Anonymous

Well the ancients sure were fans of failsafe systems. Certainly it is panning out well, and the dialing system at atlantis and in the jumpers seems more advanced, but planets seem to have the same gate control devices.

By the way, did the device used to contain the clout of evil look al lot like the device that made people see extra-dimentional creatures?

Is that them recycling old props or is it the producers making ancient tech look the same?

Anonymous

I’ve just realised, the manual dialing is a little strange in stargate. Tecnically all they can do is apply power to the gate and redial the last address dialled. The thing is that the look of the gate, Atlantian or Milky way effect is a function of the comands inputteed. And the fact that selecting symbols and chevrons requires commands, ones so complicated that it took a few cray supercomputers running in parralel to run the command sequence

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.