The changing face of the robot head

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx The changing face of the robot head

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

Has anybody else noticed that the displays on 790’s eye and mouth screens are different in different episodes? When 790’s electronic face first appears in I Worship His Shadow, his eyes and mouth are all blue. And they’re like that in most of the second season. But in Super Nova, while the bot head retains his usual eyes, his mouth is naturally colored and all grainy. I can only describe the look of his eyes and mouth in Eating Pattern as “weird.” Then in The Giga Shadow he’s back to his usual blue self.

In season two his eyes are mostly all blue, but there are exceptions (besides intentional changes in episodes like 791 and Norb). In Twilight they’re in pastels!

In seasons three and four 790’s eyes and mouth have been predominantly pink. I would say this reflects the changes that occured to the robot head in Fire and Water. But he was pink before he became a she!

What is with this robot head? Why does the special effects department keep changing his looks? Is it intentional or an accident? Has anybody else noticed this?

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

[ 29-11-2001: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Headgehog
    Participant

I’ve noticed that too, and must’ve asked myself those same questions a dozen times. At first I thought it was just the porgression in special fx technologies. In teh movies 790 is very distorted. His face looked like a tv that isn’t gettign good reception. This improved in s2 but the colors still varied a little by episode. When we saw him in s3 things seems somewhat constant. s4 has had better and more realissic coloring. Even though it seems like it changes by ep.

So to answer your question, I have no clue.

Finally, from your clones in scifi post, Dagger from SeaQuest was a good clone too. Even though all the other “daggers” were evil.

Anonymous

I have noticed that to, he has gone through alot of changes. Switching colors left and right. Sometimes the colors seem oversaturated, like when you increase the color on a tv too much.

But I have to say, he looked best in 791 (insane). BTW, have you noticed how weird his “eye-graphics” looked when he danced around with Stanley?
    You barely see it, it like just 1.5 seconds he has that pink weird eyes. Maybe he had “Pink-eye”… (southpark).

Great episode by the way, one of the best me thinks…

Anonymous

I always thought he looked most odd in Terminal…When Zev and Stan were opening Kai’s cryo-pod, 790’s mouth looked like it was kinda sliding off the edge of his mouth screen. Its hard to explain. Then he had huge eyes on the bridge when searching for some kind of help for Stan, then when he was being carried through Medsat by Zev he was back to droopy mouth again.

Hmmm…it might be easier to just watch Terminal again…oh! and did anyone else notice in Fire & Water, when 790 went into deep shutdown he seemed to have 791’s face…it was quite disturbing….

[ 29-11-2001: Message edited by: Mercury ]

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by BlackCloud:
    Then, Jeff, was less involved in the third season, when 790 was in love with Kai [that was 3rd, right?] and, truth be told, I’m not remembering what the deal was with 790 in that season.

In 3.01 790 was thrown off the bridge by Prince and destroyed. Kai put him back together, 790 fell in love with the first person he saw, in this case Kai.
    From what I’m told Jeff had a fallingout with Paul and Lex, so that’s supposedly why 790 wasn’t in that season much. I never found out what happened between them though.

Anonymous

Dont forget you can get hold of 790s real face on;
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1039234647

Anonymous

Boyoboy, being totally sleepless let’s see if I can remember any of this: First there were several people coordinating 790’s head. Then, they arranged it so Jeff’s mouth was bandaged, with lips reddened, and they used his real lip movements, while he operated 790’s eye movements, too. Then, Jeff, was less involved in the third season, when 790 was in love with Kai [that was 3rd, right?] and, truth be told, I’m not remembering what the deal was with 790 in that season. Though it may come back to me after this cup of joe.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    From what I’m told Jeff had a fallingout with Paul and Lex, so that’s supposedly why 790 wasn’t in that season much. I never found out what happened between them though.

That’s too bad. It would explain why Jeffrey Hirschfield has only written one episode in the last two seasons after writing eight in season two. Maybe that’s the source of this decline in quality.

When he was 791 his eyes were bloodshot and a tooth was missing.

I just remembered I saw 790’s nose in one episode. In Xevivor you can see the tip of the nose at the top of the mouth screen in one scene. I don’t think it appears anywhere else, I don’t remember seeing it in any other episode.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.