The end of space based TV Scifi?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff The end of space based TV Scifi?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    carup008
    Participant

Andromeda will end this season.
    So apparently will Star Trek.
    And they are not even sure if Battlestar Galactica will be renewed for next season.

Are people no longer interested in Space Based Scifi anymore?

Will the TV shows of the 21st century be comprised of just soaps, sitcoms and reality TV? 😥

n3bula
    Participant

quote]Andromeda will end this season. [/quote]

Thank God for that! Andromeda is crap! Sorbo has ruined it!

So apparently will Star Trek.

Yes, probably. But perhaps it will be back some time with a fresh approach. Enterprise doesn’t really have a concept, it never had. It tried many different things none of which were done consequently and I think even Many Coto failed to change that so far and time is running out fast.

And they are not even sure if Battlestar Galactica will be renewed for next season.

Did you see the ratings BSG scored? They were sensational! It was the highest rated January premiere Sci-Fi ever had! There will definitely be a second season. Even if the ratings dropped a bit for the remaining episodes, its still got better ratings than Enterprise while having a smaller budget. They would be really dumb not to renew it.
    Nowadays I can’t watch Enterprise anymore without thinking that BSG is so much better. I think Enterprise is still okay and entertaining most of the time, but it lacks many things BSG has.

Will the TV shows of the 21st century be comprised of just soaps, sitcoms and reality TV?

Let’s hope not. There sure is a lot of bullshit out there. My impression is that most people don’t like to think while watching TV and TV networks are adapting to that making peolple dumber and dumber in the process.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

I don’t think that we have seen the last of sci-fi based in outer space, but I do think it will be a couple of years before we see another “Trek”/ “Babylon 5” type show.

The smaller US networks (UPN, FOX, WB) are the only non-cable channels that would touch a sci-fi show like that, and I think that the very below-average performance of “Enterprise” may have left them looking at other genres for entertainment. And although not sci-fi, shows like “Smallville”, “Charmed” and the recently- premeried “Point Pleasant” may help fiill the void in the meantime.

I do not know what cable channels have planned in terms of sci-fi shows, but we may just have to rely on BSG (NOT a bad thing), re-runs and DVDs of other shows to satisfy our need for space-themed shows.

The Sci-Fi channel is probably content with its current new darling show and Friday line-up (and what a great line-up it is) so I am not expecting anything else from them as far as compelling new shows go. Perhaps you could take up a new interest in their low-buget, Saturday night flicks?

But you are right, there is a lot of bad shows on TV, especially the reality shows. Personally, I would like to see another “Lexx” type show for my late-night viewing pleasure. I am pretty sure I am alone in this
    😛

Shiroekitsune
    Participant

BSG is good, and so is atlantis. As long as they still continue BSG I’m good. All others currently running don’t phase me, don’t watch them due to not worth my time for mindless crap.

Wish they would bring back some shows or do remakes like BSG……..Space 1999, Buck Rogers, Galaxy Rangers (live action or toon), and Other World just to list a few.

aah….memories from childhood…..

carup008
    Participant

You know, I think you people are right! Things do not look so dark after all….

….and who knows, we might even see a star wars TV series eventually (live not cartoon please) 😀

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    Unfortuneately, Sci-Fi isn’t going as well as in past yrs; hopefully, by the new Battelstar Galactica & others, they’ll be a renewed showing of Sci-Fi. However, we must remember that not everyone’s into Sci-Fi or understand it; & right now, a lot of people are into Reality Shows.
    I’m also hoping that KJ brings back V, Sci-Fi brings back both Lexx & Mad Mad House & the BBC gives all of us fans, Dr Who; I think if we all think positive, it will happen. Let’s just wait & see.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz 😉

Headgehog
    Participant

I’m inclined to agree with YOWAYYO. TV and film works in waves, and at the moment space based Sci Fi is at its lull. At this point, it looks like Star Trek will go on Hiatus for a few years, and all those Saturday midday syndicated scifi shows are on their way out. On the other end of the spectrum, present-day scifi is peaking. I’ll take the space stuff anyday.

I’d be very surprised if BSG is not renewed for another season. It did better then the Stargates last week, and is the networks highest rated show. The show CAN’T be that expensive that it wouldn’t be worth keeping on.

Space Scifi will return in a few years. It’s just going to take one show to be a major success, and then everyone will copy it. A few seasons later and we’ll have too many space operas, few if any will be really worth watching. The shows won’t do well, and we’ll see a recession again.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

There is always an interest in remakes and with the Star Trek Universe going into prequels, how would the assembled throng think of a remake of Star Trek TOS using today’s special effect techniques?

I could see some significant changes to the storylines though: fewer micro skirts for the female crew and no soft focus on Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel. I could see some of the old storylines needing a big rethink like Harry Mudd but the idea could tie up Enterprise to TOS to TSG et al as well as to the films. At the moment there is a big disjoint between all the components and not just in FX quality.

I am one of the REALLY OLD sad geezers and remember watching the original pilot (before Kirk) and being absolutely gob-smacked. There was no other topic of conversation at school the following day. I would welcome a sympathetic makeover of the original classic.

Who would be Kirk and Spok?

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    7th_Dizbuster wrote:

There is always an interest in remakes and with the Star Trek Universe going into prequels, how would the assembled throng think of a remake of Star Trek TOS using today’s special effect techniques?

I could see some significant changes to the storylines though: fewer micro skirts for the female crew and no soft focus on Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel. I could see some of the old storylines needing a big rethink like Harry Mudd but the idea could tie up Enterprise to TOS to TSG et al as well as to the films. At the moment there is a big disjoint between all the components and not just in FX quality.

I am one of the REALLY OLD sad geezers and remember watching the original pilot (before Kirk) and being absolutely gob-smacked. There was no other topic of conversation at school the following day. I would welcome a sympathetic makeover of the original classic.

Who would be Kirk and Spok?

Remake Trek TOS??? GASSSSPPP!!! And you thought the BSG- TOS fans were pissed off! 😆 This would truly pit nerd against nerd, geek against geek, and ‘geezer against ‘geezer. Hmmmm…perhaps controversy and firestorm is just what the (hologram) Dr. ordered?

If they did a re-make, I would definately be in favor of FX to inhance scenes in space. However, I would love the cheap stage sets to remain. 😀

Triple -F
    Participant

I think the perceived demographics of your supposed Sci-Fi viewer might play a part in this. More relevantly it may be the way T.V execs then act based on those assumption.

Not everyone who enjoys sci-fi is under the age of 15, cleavage and special effects play their parts but so does, character developmen and treating the audience like they might just understand a more “complex” story, look at B5, that surprised a few folks.

If the “quality” of programmes decrease, or it is aiming to narrowly at a specific target audience then, of course, viewing figures go down. The execs panic, try focusing even tighter, figures still going down, they put less money into the programs, now the viewing figures are in free fall, then we are told people don’t like sci-fi anymore. There are exceptions of course.

It’s just part of the commercial driven world we live in to-day, but like was previously said, it will turn around again, hopefully.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

And you thought the BSG- TOS fans were pissed off!

I think BSG-TOS defiantly bears remaking. I am a sucker for space operas and loved it when it came out. It was an excellent concept but the constant use and reuse of the same set of action sequences for battle sequences grated on my nerves after a while. Buck Rogers suffered from the same malaise and had a higher ‘Cheese Rating’ (another Glen A Larson production). I have not seen the new series yet (no satellite or cable) but I can’t wait.

Talking of Buck in the 25th ………. remake of a remake?

Going off the subject a little but continuing on from the ‘reuse of sequences’ line, I remember a film that where all the space sequences were made up from other films clipped together. Anyone remember it? I will start a new thread for this one.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I think a great idea to reinvigorate the Space based scifi would be for the Jim Henson Creature workshop to explore other stories in the Farscape universe.

The miniseries left an opening for that, and it was fantastic.

I also think BSG will enjoy a good run as well. – and imagine ships in space that actually fly like they’re are in space!! (love that about this series) I was a fan of the old BSG – watched it religiously, and I think the remake is an amazing homage to it.

I mean if the old Conan novels can get reissued anything can happen right?

ruach
    Participant

This does not mark the end of space based fictional series. It does mark the end of some really awful ones. Series that were kept around because they were pretty cheap or because in the case of Enterprise the parent company wanted to be able to franchise and merchandise it and that night not have happened if it was canceled after the first or second season. Pity about Enterprise because it just got halfway decent this year.

Someone will come along with a great space based fictional series that relies less on expensive fX and more on fascinating characters and stories. Something like B5. Then we can break out the bubbly.

Frozenpede
    Participant

I hear theres a new Farscape series. But mostly your right, it got over worked is all…I beleive that both the western and the sci-fi will one day return.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.