The fan that I am….

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx The fan that I am….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

….in my little corner of the world. I don’t believe in intruding upon my object of worships private space. You know, like when you’re out on the town and you just happen to see him or her sitting down to a nice quiet dinner and you proceed to shove an autograph book in said object’s face? I personally never have and never will ask anyone for thier autograph! Why? You see, I put my object on a pedestal of my own making. There, to be built up or knocked down of my own choosing and in my own time, by me and me alone! I like to worship from far, far away. I really don’t want to know what he or she is really like for the fear of not liking who he or she really is. Illusion is a very powerful drug best taken in the privacy of one’s own mind. I only want to read, hear or see positive things about said object of desire. Anything negative will not do. It would only shake the ground beneath my carefully built pedestal. If he or she should fall off, who will fill the void? (currently searching Sci-Fi listings for replacement–undesireable need not apply) And if I should come across something that I and I alone think is negative about my flame, then I will quickly dismiss it and ferociously come to the defense of my exquisite illusion. In doing so publicly, I risk all others knowing just how vunerable my fortress is to said attacks. If I am careful though, I can keep my object of desire to myself to live forever in the reruns of my mind. On a more serious note… Has onyone ever seen the movie 10?

Reveal 7 – That’s right! I don’t want to know how it’s made or what it’s really like without the fancy packaging, or how many fat calories it has. I want it and I want it now! Don’t bother me with the details, okay?

Anonymous

Exquisite.

Simply exquisite.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Hey Aleck, where ya been? I was just getting ready to post a thread with ‘Where the Hell is Aleck?”

Anonymous

And what are you going to name that artistic piece of literature, Reveal 7???
    Actually it was rather good, but I am left believing that you are in fact completely insane…no offense!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    Exquisite.

Simply exquisite.

–Aleck

Thank you, Aleck and you too, Squishy. No offense taken, by the way. Perhaps you can help me come up with a name for this piece?
    Fatal Attraction has already been done. Drawn Like A Moth to My Flame? No, that’s no good either. Obsession? No. Sweet Illusion? Or should that be Sweet Delusion? Exquisite Desire? Take My Breath Away or Take Me Away? How about SuperNova? You know, like he or she is the center of my universe and I want to become one with him or her? Naw, too long. The Illusion of Delusion? Help me out here guys!

Anonymous

How about….Lord of Delusion?….
    btw,I thought the piece was incredible.?

Anonymous

Great Expectations is my vote.

dgrequeen
    Participant

Actually, Reveal7, you named it yourself: Exquisite Illusion. How embarrassed am I, that I saw myself there?

And, if you are female, may I suggest Victor Webster of MutantX as a replacement?

Anonymous

Is this turning into a comp to name that well written piece by Reveal 7?, well this is Squishy’s entry…
    Illustrious Illusion.
    Well I have a cluster lizards brain…whadya want from me…bleedin Shakespeare!!!
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

Hey, I just read your little essay, Reveal7, and that’s some good writing. I can think of a title, I just can’t think of it. It’s a word from a dead language that means the distant worship of an idol or icon to the point in which it is deified and considered to be above the physical botherings of the worshipper. But I can’t remember the word without my book, which I left at home because I have way too many other books full of useless facts with no real application to my life cluttering my dorm room. I’m not even sure I gave an entirely correct definition. Come to think of it, it wouldn’t be a good title (unless you’re going for the X-Files style of arcane and confusing titles that only geeky fans with too many books can figure out), because about 2% of people who read it would know what it means. In fact, I have no reason to even be writing anything, so please disregard this post.

But really, that piece was deep and inspired and full of, uh…

Anonymous

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    [QB]Hey, I just read your little essay, Reveal7, and that’s some good writing. I can think of a title, I just can’t think of it. It’s a word from a dead language that means the distant worship of an idol or icon to the point in which it is deified and considered to be above the physical botherings of the worshipper.

1st – Thank you! – DalekTek790

2nd – Fascinating – If you should ever come across that word again, from that dead language, please let me know what it is.

Reveal 7

Anonymous

‘Mushriq’ in Arabic means pagans and idolaters, but according to Zecharia Sitchin’s books it’s based on an older Sumarian word meaning setting something on high and refusing to see it’s faults… that’s all I remember. It’s a mighty ugly word though! LoL! Reveal7’s post was far too eloquent if that’s the same word you’re talking about DT, LoL

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elfie:
    ‘Mushriq’ in Arabic means pagans and idolaters, but according to Zecharia Sitchin’s books it’s based on an older Sumarian word meaning setting something on high and refusing to see it’s faults… that’s all I remember. It’s a mighty ugly word though! LoL! Reveal7’s post was far too eloquent if that’s the same word you’re talking about DT, LoL

No, that’s not it. The language is Provençal (a Romance tongue that hasn’t been spoken since about the 13th century), not Arabic. It doesn’t mean pagan or anything. The context I read it in was not religious, but focussed on a real individual who is considered above mortal by the worshipper because of their perfection. But I might not have the definition entirely correct, I’d have to look it up. It’s in this book called Civilisation [sic], which is about the history of western civilization. I’ll probably take a look at that next week and let you know what the word is.

DalekTek790
    Participant

Okay, I’ve got it now. The word is “fegnedor,” in the Provinçal language. But my definition wasn’t exactly right. In more recent times, since Provinçal words were preserved only in languages like French and Middle English, the term has been applied more to romantic love, rather than platonic admiration or respect.

In the general sense, fegnedor is the distanced worship of a human being who is considered above human in their perfection or greatness. So the word i was thinking sort of relates to Reveal’s wonderful piece, but not exactly.

Anonymous

Your little essay, Reveal7, reminds me of Nigel. Though I’m not thar far away from him sometimes (two hours, maybe), it’s one of those “so close, yet so far” things.
    I do, however, plan to mees him in person and very kindly imply that I would like him to sign a theatre programme I’d been holding onto since Febuary.
    I also agree that it is usually best to keep your worship in your mind. It is likely you will never know this person personally. Pretty much all you can do when you meet them is shake their hand (maybe even hug them) and say, “I love your work and I hope have a nice day.”
    Sometimes it’s almost painful when you love someone so much, yet you can never express it. It was like that when I met Nigel…

Princess of Fire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.