the first evil is back…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FX
    Participant

those of you that watch lexx and remember the discussions about time coming full circle will be pleased by tonight’s buffy; they are going back to the beginning and have brought back the the first, remember, the guys with no eyes that took form in ms calendar among others in the episode where buffy had to keep angel from killing himself…or so it appears thus far…this season is really rocking; we still don’t know what’s happened to giles (did you notice how we got to see the attacker’s face this time in the pre-episode recap?) …so, aleck, it appears that the big bad cannot take corporeal form, so he must use other vessels to accomplish his deeds, so that may well be the answer to our discussion about whether or not spike has actually committed the murders…and how about xander and anya playing good cop/bad cop

now, the big building that blows up would appear to indicate that the motherhouse of the watchers has just been bombed (excuse the motherhouse reference; i am channeling anne rice’s talamasca)anyway, looks like the watchers are taking big hits on all fronts…good slayer moves by dawn for those of you wondering if ms trachtenberg is going to assume the slayer mantle…now, what is the principle’s role? is he one of the watcher’s operatives? or is he another in the line of sunnydale authority figures involved in the plot to cover up all matters hellmouthian…

finally, on the topic of occult background in buffy; they are hanging spike on a brokencross over the bathshebic goat to bleed him for the appropriate sacrifice; somebody has definitely been doing some reading …but back to my initial contention; how is it that everyone except the religious fundamentalists knows what is evil and what is good? this season is incredibly strong; it’s good to see buffy ending with a roar rather than a whimper

[ 28-11-2002: Message edited by: FX ]

Anonymous

well all these questions i deperatley want answering and was absolutley gutted when i found out upn was gonna show repeats i need to know about thes new slayers and which of ems gonna cos if i had my way dawn would be the first 2 die. But sayin that for some reason when the hooded men nearly stabbed her i was upset but then realised xander had killed the no-eyes dude (confusing i know but i am teenager its my job) So giles well we know he is in the next episode but e may still be dead u never know but why does he have to gather them did the fat man who dies last 2 weeks ago in britain mean gather the new slayers cos i dont know wot e meant anyway thats my rant over 4 now!!

Anonymous

I saw the episode with the slayers-in-training and Giles seemed fine, but something didn’t seem right, and I don’t think he was the first in Giles’ forum, but it’s possible.

One “weird” scene is when Buffy crawls out of this hole to this cavern where she was fighting this super-vampire-demon thing, believed to be an “agent” of the First.

She struggles to crawl out and manages to pull out, and then the creature comes up behind her.

THE WEIRD thing, is that Giles is suppose to be waiting for her up there, but was not there.
    THEN, we see this “shadow”, this sihoulette figure run up with the sun rising in the background behind it. The sun’s light hurts the creature who retreats back down into the hole.

They don’t clarify if this was Giles, we assume it is, since Buffy returns home with him.
    But was he blocking the sun or was this some kind of symbolism or what???
    It was just a very weird shot, the way they did it, the sihoulette figure almost seemed animated (CGI or whatever, I dunno, it was just a shadow-form).

AS FOR THE Occult stuff in Buffy and the mystery of the Principal (new odd stuff with him as well that makes you “wonder”), like maybe he IS a good-guy, then again, we don’t know.
    BUT WHAT WAS INTERESTING, was that his name is Principal Wood. Full name: Principal Robin Wood.

Robin Wood is the name of some real-life Wiccan. So maybe Principal Wood is some wiccan/warlock-“guardian”-type of person. Hmmm. Strange. Or maybe he is an agent of The First.
    HMMMMM.
    (to back-up the Robin Wood-Wiccan-name-connection thing, simply go to http://www.robinwood.com)

Anonymous

ive just heard that the new principal is related to someone who was on the show ages ago…apparently its either kendra or forest(rileys mate)and also ive heard a rumour that he is a relation to one of the first slayers…..one of the ones spike killed.apparently its the slayer from new york from the 60,s.
    one of these is true…but not sure which…its all just vicious rumours at the mo!!!

Scorebird
    Participant

Hey FX,everyone. So,Why does everyone,except religious fundumentalists,knows whats good and evil?

Buffy is really a pro-occult show so the idea that “religious fundumentalists”( usually Christians?} would be shown in a positive light would be very slim.

The real problem with religious (Christian) fundumentalists is they try to atone for their in by following a strict set of rules and rituals instead of giving their sin to Christ,confessing it and asking for forgiveness.This behavior will make one condesending toward others (like Cordelia,for example)Real Christianity is not so much a religion as it is a relationship with Jesus Christ.

When it comes down to it. Religious bias is no better or worse that any other bias. Sin is sin.

One question though: Just because one KNOWS the difference between right and wrong; good and evil mean that they will CHOOSE right and good over wrong and evil?

For example: In S2:When Xander was to tell Buffy that Willow was going restore Angel’s soul but instead said the message from Will was “Kick his ass”,he lied to her.Did he know it was wrong.If so, do he choose it anyway?

Also in S2:What the difference between Cordelia slandering Willow and Willow calling her “a big ho”?

The S2 ep “When she was bad” show Buffy being mean to her friends.Do she know this was wrong?Did she care?

In S3:When Willow said to Faith “It’s already too late (for you).” and even expressing that she wanted Faith to leave after Faith accidently killed a guy, did she hate what Faith did and attitude or did she hate Faith personally,maybe for other reasons?

There’s other examples that I could use (esp from S5 and S6). These are just a few. Could a Christian character on Buffy (regular or recurring) be allowed to show depth and grow?or would the fans hate him/her off the bat?

Any thoughts on these things?

Scorebird
    Participant

Xander seemed to be more jealous of Angel (because of his reationship with Buffy) more than anything.So,ultimutely,I think wanted Angel out of the way;preferredly killed. See how he was willing to Faith kill Angel in S3,eventhough he had his soul back.

It will be interesting the writers do with all of that. Perhaps the First Evil will used Xander’s jealousy against him,in the form of Angel taunting him.

It’s funny how Xander was jealous and vengeful early on and later got a (former) vengance demon as a girlfriend.

ADM
    Participant

I think Xander at first was motivated by jealousy and simply didn’t trust Angel, he was new to the whole vampire thing and the fact that they took his best pal Jesse didn’t help much either.
    So the combination of his feelings for Buffy and absolute hatred for all things vampirish left him with no doubt that regardless of a soul…Angel was evil.
    And when Angel turned in Angelus, he must have felt his original concerns were justified and did not need any convincing that Angel was evil, so for him to lie like that was easy as he thought that not only should Angelus die, but Angel as well.
    I’m not with the whole religion and buffy thing, it’s never used religion to further it’s stories, so there is really no point in commenting on it.
    ADM

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Scorebird:
    Hey FX,everyone. So,Why does everyone,except religious fundumentalists,knows whats good and evil?

Buffy is really a pro-occult show so the idea that “religious fundumentalists”( usually Christians?} would be shown in a positive light would be very slim.

i am not sure i would classify buffy as ‘pro-occult’; its setting is in our world plus various sorts of demons…i guess i would call it ‘alternate history’ as far as types of fiction go…and the demons are usually embodied forms of different issues that the various characters deal with…my comment about good and evil was a form vs substance issue, and admittedly i am not pro ANY fundamentalism…for example, how killing thousands of people who are not of your religion in some sort of bogus holy war can be considered good, or how ‘aids is god’s judgment’ on homosexuality and therefore thousands of people dying because they were gay is good…i won’t go on, but i hope you see what i am talking about…

by the way, i agree with you on the xander issue, he has never faced any consequences for that little betrayal, but it was referred to once during season 7 i think…and i feel that the writers will bring it up again… maybe xander felt his sin of lying was a small thing against the greater good of killing evil angel?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.