The Game -Chess Analysis (long)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx The Game -Chess Analysis (long)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Check out Flamegrapes fantastic visual representation here:
    http://www.flamegrape.com/lexx/418_TheGame/index.htm
    Thanks Flamegrape!!
    ============================================
    Figured since my 2 favorite things (Lexx;Chess) came together Id have to put some time into analyzing “The Game”

First off its a famous game. Unfortunatly I do not remember where I’ve seen it. It’s possible Karpov vs Kasparov, but I’m not sure.

Second, Im doing this all by hand with my own board and standard notation, Im sure some can argue that the opening isnt strictly this or that, but its from my point of view.

Round 1
    w(We2-e4) -Kings Pawn opening
    b(Be7-e5) -Kings Pawn Game
    This is a common game. Queens Games and Kings games are the most common openings.
    Round 2
    W(Bf1-c4) -Bishop’s opening
    B(F8-c5) -bishop’s Classical

Very interesting move. Personally I would have used the more modern Berlin Defense, by moving NG8-f6 thus giving Black an immediate center advantage. Instead Kai chose the Bishops Classical variation an extremely old outdated defense which is a mirror of the opponents for the moment.
    By this move Kai changes nothing and loses the 1/2 move advantage he would have gained. However Prince may be a much more modern chess player. Either way, this is the *end* of Bishops Classical Opening. The game is now open since neither side continues this pre-set opening with a gambit or variation.

Round 3

w(Qd1-e2)
    b(Ng8-f6)

Hmm. Prince obviously recognizes the classic opening and uses its end result to his advantage. Kai follows the classic opening as well with his own Gambit. While the pieces felt this was a bad move and Vlad claimed Xev was now blocked any other move would have created an Open Game, which at this point would be amatuerish. Instead both sides go defensive. And both players have an even hold on center at this point

Round 4

w(d2-d3) -(Brilliant)
    b(Nb8-c6)

Princes move is brilliant. He gained a total of 38 possible moves to Kais 36 and has 3 more squares covered than Kai as well. While it’s still early, Kai appears to be drawn into a clearly defensive posture having allowed Bishops Classical to continue to its natural conclusion.

Round5

w(c2-c3)
    b(Nc6-e7)

Again this continues the defensive moves the boring Bishops game (Classical) induces. It’s a foolish game for black to play and the opening’s are almost over.

Round6
    w(f2-f4)
    Im your most powerful piece and I really want to kick some White Ass! -Xev
    b(e5xf4)

Black kings pawn takes White kings bishop pawn. Normal move and consistant with the Bishops opening. At this point Prince would be wondering why Kai knows such a classic opening. He’s given Kai many chances to make mistakes and he hasent yet. And even though Kai has been pulled into a very hard game he has now gotten past the hardest part of the opening. Most players would have broken into an open game by now not wishing to play such a transparant defense.

BTW the reason this is called the Bishops Game is due to the fact the bishops are dispensable for the purpose of this game and the most vulnerable and dangerous if someone makes a mistake. There are *many* variations, they chose the classical one which is the most basic and oldest.

Round 7
    This game mirrors the larger game we have played since we have met -Prince
    w(d3-d4)
    b(Bc5-b6)

Interesting to continue this game in this way. It still is in line with the opening but Kai seems to lose 1/2 a move by this defense. But it is the only possible move he can make without losing a major or position.

Looks like you’re coming in 2nd-Priest
    And there’s only 2 teams!-Prince
    Round8
    w(Bc1xf4)
    b(d7-d6)

Interesting round. Black has a schizophrenic defense/attack and looks really uncoordinated. White has superior position and defense. Prince is up by 8 sqaures on mobility and coverage. Kai is really in trouble at this point. But even the best move for Prince could be a mistake against this type of play.

Round9
    RESIGN! RESIGN! RESIGN!
    w(Bc4-d3) It is an excellent move -Vlad
    b(Ne7-g6)

Ok important round. Prince just gave up 1/2 a move to continue his defense. He also gave up 3 squares of coverage giving Kai a chance to defend properly. While some would argue this in line with this type of game I would’ve attacked Stanley Knight and sacrificed Vlad for superior center and gaining 1/2 move.

Round 10
    w(Bf4-e3)
    b(o-o)

End round to the opening. Kai Castles kingside, but more importantly Prince retreats his other Vlad bishop to the center. Its an ironclad defense, but he’s white and white does not defend. He was 37 squares of mobility from which to attack from. In a bishops game Id have to wonder why Prince choose the protective route.

Round 11
    Envy our Defense now Whiteys! -Stanley Knight
    w(h2-h3)
    b(Rf8-e8)

By Castle’ing Kai has gained a clear advantage of the center. By looking at it you might not think he does, but trust me he does. His Knights are in a protected position capable of capturing a pawn and a bishop for the cost of one knight. White is in a poor position at this point, but the potential of the position is good. By this move however Prince has lost a minor piece guarenteed. And since he still needs to castle he will later lose 1/2 a move. Arguably this move cost Prince the game.

Round12
    w(Nb1-d2)
    b(Qd8-e7)

Brilliant attacks being set up! Kai has a CLEAR hold on the center now. Prince is aiming towards a queen side castle which is also interesting and in line with the bishops classic opening. It seems here that Kai cannot lose barring a stupid move. Kai has a 3-kill lane in the center which Prince cannot defend. However if Kai were to take it he opens himself to a quick mate. Interesting game. Vlad Bishop King-side is out of place here and needs to be used. However Prince also needs to castle….

Round13
    w(o-o-o)
    the Game goes in our favor, Im finally free to kill and destroy -His Divine Shadow
    b(c7-c5)

This is where I about went off. What a brilliant game!!! There are about 15 possible gambits to be played. The game is now totally open and its down to Kai vs Prince mono y mono. There is no help to be had here, no book or memory this is now a game filled with choices. Black clearly still has command of the center but neither side can attack and know what the other will do at this point. Brilliant opening and what a way to transition to midgame.

Round 14
    w(Kc1-b1)
    b(c5Xd4)

What a whopper! Im glad Kai cant feel at this point. Id be totally confused as to what Prince is attempting. Prince’s move isnt that much of an enigma but its dangerous. It puts him in a severe counter-strike position which could possibly end the game if Kai were to make any mistake.

Round 15
    w(c3xd4)
    b(a7-a5)

White has a good defense at this point. But White isnt about defense, in games of chess with equal partners 1700ELO and above White should win. As Black you play to stalemate typically, thats a win for you. If you win as Black its an upset. Its a little like Tennis in that way, when you’re on serve you’re really not supposed to lose. But it happens even at the highest levels. Why Prince moved into defense isnt a mystery, I think he feels Kai is inexperienced and will make a mistake on the attack leaving Prince free to win. Just a guess though.

Round 16
    I like being a Knight, especially in this Game! -Priest
    w(Ng1-f3)
    b(Bc8-d7)

Prince has to be worried, he needs to lose pieces. Its a tough spot to be in but he made some mistakes early. His biggest chance now is to hope Black takes a rook pawn or a bishop pawn to unblock his own attack. Kai however can use this to his advantage now that Princes game is predicatble for the time being. Prince cannot attack at this point with so many majors blocked.

Round 17
    w(g2_g4)
    b(h7-h6)

Positioning and defensive round. Kai-King is now much more well defended than Prince-King.

Round 18
    w(Rd1-g1)
    b(a5-a4)

Kai is feigning an attack with the pawn. At the very least he hopes to draw the King out since Prince cannot attack that pawn currently without losing 1/2 a move by moving Priest-Knight or his Queens Bishop pawn to defend.

Round 19
    w(g4-g5) Thank you Prince, make space for me so I can destory the Black King – HDS
    b(h6xg5)

Good round by Prince. He’s clearly losing and makes a brilliant sacrifice to open his Rook attack. Were now heading into the endgame where kings are threatened. But we arent there yet, Kais king is in danger by Princes HDS-Rook/Queen support attack but Prince doesent appear to be in any danger at all, yet.

Round 20
    w(Be3xg5) YES! -Vlad
    b(a4-a3)

I would’ve been beaten here by both sides. Both sides make brilliant moves. Kai makes a really stupid move by locking his pawn but see it isnt stupid. I thought it was and so did Prince but it was a suckers move, forcing Prince to lose 1/2 a turn. This move was the end for Prince, he seemed to have chances later but it was truly over. From this moment on Kai had won. Its the great thing about Chess. What is a great move can turn out to be your defeat if your opponent has thought more moves ahead than you. A better oponnent probably should’ve realized that he was going to be faced with a Knight attack and therefore doesent need his pawn protection. Instead Kai tricks Prince into leaving his pawns in defense which defeats Prince later. Game over.

Round 21
    w(b2-b3)
    What a lame move -790
    Listen to the conversation the pieces have here. It’s actually quite accurate as it was the previous move that loses the game.
    b(Bd7-c6)

Good move by Kai, he’s suckering Prince in now by moving seemingly defensive. Instead Kai plans on a Bishop-Queen sacrifice if Prince takes the bait. Prince will seemingly have mate, but remember he just lost 1/2 a move…

Round 22
    w(Rg1-g4)
    b(Bb6-a5)Have you run out of ideas!?! -Prince; Or are you simply moving your pieces at random? -Priest

Good round, Endgame creeps closer. Kai-King is better defended than Prince-King but Prince has a more potent attack setup currently.

Round 23
    Kai! Kai! Kai! Kai! -Black Team
    w(h3-h4)
    b(Ba5xd2)

Wow. All I could say when seeing this move. Instead of entering Princes gambit Kai instead chooses to delay a turn, sacraficing his TimeProphet-Bishop in a display of chess-genius and opening the way for his final counter strike. This also forces Prince to change his defense and reassess the entire game. Either his Priest-Knight or Bunny-Queen will now be totally out of position. With the 1/2 extra turn Prince’s defeat is assured now barring any mistakes.

Round 24
    w(Nf3xd2)
    This game is finally starting to get Bloody! – Prince
    b(Ra8-a5)

Kai could’ve taken HDS-Rook with Stanley Knight at this point, but Kai has other plans….

Round 25
    w(h4-h5) -Strong, bold move.
    b(Ra5xg5)

Kais plan becomes apparant here. We see the Bishops game fulfilled here as Kai seemingly takes an un-important piece for his powerful 790-Rook. But Kai isnt playing a Rooks game, he’s playing a Knights-game, and setting it up brilliantly.

Round 26
    Hello. And Goodbye -HDS
    w(Rg4xg5)
    b(Ng6-f4)

Prince has been setting up his Rook-Queen attack for a dozen or more moves and now Kai has finally made a mistake. He has given Prince a clear advantage here to mate. But remember that 1/2 move Prince lost? Bet he doesent.

Round 27
    w(Qe2-f3)

I think you should apologize to Kai now. -Stanley-Knight

Never! -Vlad

b(Nf4xd3)

And the Endgame begins. It is apparant that this is now a race for mate. Kai has a slow Knight attack supported only by a blocked pawn vs Princes big Rook-Queen attack. Need I retell the “Tortose and the Hare”?

Round 28
    w(d4-d5)
    b(Nf6-d5)
    The violence!!! Argggh the violence! -Prince-King

Kai moves appropriatly, he cant afford losing his extra move. If he does Prince *will* win. The next move is crutial.

Round 29
    This board is no longer crowded, so have a rest, take a pill, and enjoy the action from the Sidelines -Priest-Knight
    w(Rh1-g1)
    b(Nd5-c3+)

Good move by Prince? Taking Stanley-Knight would’ve cost him 1/2 a move and he wouldent have been able to mate as fast. But this move was the final mistake before pawn to queen. Taking Stanley Knight would’ve ended the mate-threat that Prince clearly wasent afraid of. It would’ve lost him position and time but would’ve saved the game. Kai checks Prince-King.

Round 30
    w(Kb1-a1)
    b(Bc6xe4)

Interesting round. Both queens have potential attacks, dangerous. Certainly not the way I would’ve played but I would’ve lost several rounds ago.

Round 31
    w(Rg5xg7+)
    Check. -His Divine Shadow-Rook
    b(Kg8-h8)

Kai has only one move, but Prince doesent realize he has already lost. Mate in 7, unpreventable. Prince has Mate in 8, unpreventable. Kai knows he has mate in 7 too which is why he now asks Prince if he will truly keep his promise.

Round 32
    w(Qf3-g3)
    b(Be4-g6)

Mate in 6 for Kai, Mate in 7 for Prince. This sacrifice was planned moves and moves ago. Brilliant he coulda gone Be4-g2 but chose g6, brilliant. Prince now believes he has mate assured. He doesent forsee the Queen sacrifice.

round 33
    w(h5xg6)
    Arent you going to get killed if you go there? Bunny-Queen
    b(Qe7-e1+)

Fantastic sacrifice, giving Kai the time he needs to bring in the Knights.

Round 34
    Then make your move -Kai
    w(Rg1xe1)
    b(Re8xe1+)

Round 35
    w(Qg3xe1)
    b(Nd3xe1)
    Who was that just bragging about a Queen advantage? -Stanley-Knight

Round36
    I remember once being under attack in a baloon where the only strategy available to me was to wait for the enemy to make a mistake, which eventually happened -Kai
    w(Rg7-h7+)
    b(Kh8-g8)

Round 37
    w(g6xf7+)
    And now, the King defends himself! -Kai-King
    b(Kg8xh7)

With the King out of range and the Queen-advancement too good to pass up the game is done.

Round 38
    w(f7-f8=Q)
    b(Ne1-c2++) Checkmate

Round 39
    w(Ka1-b1)

The Game is over, I have won, you have lost -Kai

Brilliant game, just wish I could remember where Ive seen it before.

A queens-gambit would’ve been a much more exciting game and it would’ve involved Xev much more. As it was I dont think she was used for a single kill, as Bishops games the queen is best used as a defense.

Edit: after playing a few scenarios on my board, Id have to say Kai’s gambit which started in Move 3, was brilliant. When I first ran it through a few times it seemed transparant and obvious. But Prince being Prince would never worry about a Knight-Mate which is one of the most difficult mates to produce.

Im having so much fun playing out variations of this game, the middle game has so many options and variables, either side could’ve won or loss.

[ 16-03-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

[ 18-03-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

Anonymous

Wow…that was a really cool analysis! Thanks Lexxlurker I loved the Game and this proves just how great it is.

Anonymous

All I know about chess is how to move the pieces–this analysis is fabulous. I’m going to go watch the tape again now. Thanks!!

elmey

Flamegrape
    Participant

If you don’t mind, LexxLurker, I’m putting together a webpage that graphically depicts The Game based on your notes. It was really simple to put together. I’m half-way done at the moment.

Anonymous

I believe that its based on a late 19th century chess game played between two masters. I think around 1895.

Anonymous

As soon as I get to work on Monday Im going to plug it into an online chess library. Unfortunatly I use XP at home and its DOS based and wont work here :/ I know I’ve seen this game before, its possible though Im mistaken and havent, the database will know for sure.

It could even be a Fischer Karpov game too.

Valdron:

My database has every championship match (and there’s tons) since the 60s and some famous matches through the 1700s so hopefully if you’re right it will be in there. All I need to do is plug in the moves and it will search all games in the DB, cool thing to have came with a chess-game in the early 90s

Flamegrape:

Not at all, sounds really cool!

Anonymous

Lexxlurker, my information came from chatting with some of the crew people at the uncon in July. I wish I’d taken notes as to the specific game that was being referred to.

Anonymous

Valdron:

Cool I was starting to second guess myself, and was thinking mebbe the Beans came up with this game on their own!!! Ill try and pin it down Monday, thanks again.

Anonymous

OK…I don’t know diddley about chess, but I loved the ep, and that analysis was fantastic!! It really does add a whole ‘nother dimension to the entire episode! I’d love to see more on this!

Thanks for such a great insight!

Anonymous

LL, that was just about one of the most interesting things I’ve read about the show. I knew from watching the episode that this was an incredibly well-thought-out piece of work, but I didn’t realize just *how* well-thought-out it was. Brilliant insight into the mechanics behind the telling of this story.

This episode, I think, can easily stand up next to *any* episode of science-fiction television. It’s probably the best LEXX episode I’ve seen, except that the end falls into the same trap that many of the S3 eps do: when it’s over, it’s just *over*. It doesn’t provide a sense of continuity with upcoming episodes, it’s almost as if they said “well, we’ve hit the time limit for this show, see you next week!” If there was some indication (other than the clumsy line Xev is given) that something is in the works, something is coming up, then it would be *perfect*. But the wrap-up aboard the LEXX seems anti-climactic and doesn’t really add much. But that’s a slight problem, and doesn’t really take away from the stunning achievement that is the rest of the episode.

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

Okay! The graphic representation of this week’s episode 4.18 The Game complete with LexxLurker’s notes is online here:
    http://www.flamegrape.com/lexx/418_TheGame/index.htm

[ 17-03-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

I’m a bit of a chess nut myself (though probably not your level) and I’ve got to agree that’s a hell of a game. I haven’t seen it before but I wouldn’t be surprised it was played a long time before Fisher and Karpov etc.

I haven’t seen this episode yet but I’m looking forward to it even more now. Thanks for the excellent analysis. Did you do that all by yourself or did you have someone (or something) to help?

Anonymous

Flamegrape:

There’s a mistake in move 21
    Its w(b2-b3)
    You input w(b2xa3)

It’s what he *should* of done but not the move hehe Thanks for all the work!

Anonymous

Lexxlurker – yer a DUDE! and Flame wadda cool page!

The analysis was superb and very well written! And for SadGeezers like me, the cool pictures made it even better!

Thanks to you both for the wonderful work…. you know… what Aleck said!

dgrequeen
    Participant

Whoa! Flamegrape and LexxLurker, you’ve both outdone yourselves. That was fascinating, and certainly an added bonus to what looks to be my favorite Lexx episode of all. Thanks.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    It’s probably the best LEXX episode I’ve seen, except that the end falls into the same trap that many of the S3 eps do: when it’s over, it’s just *over*. It doesn’t provide a sense of continuity with upcoming episodes, it’s almost as if they said “well, we’ve hit the time limit for this show, see you next week!”

Uhh season 3 was very continous. It was almost one long mini series. I think you mean s2.
    I’d have to agree with everyone here that The Game was one of the best epsiodes yet. But there’s still 6 epsiodes left. Come on beans, keep em coming.
    I also agree that The Game ending was lame or anti-climatic. If I had read spoilers ahead of time, I would think that this episode would have no bearing on anything else for the rest of the series, and that the episode ended without explanation.

FX
    Participant

well, thank you for the analysis; it gives even more depth to what is a truly amazing episode…this was back to the lexx that captivated us all…flawed but still completely compelling and eerie …the beans and the cast and crew really came through on this and have something they can proud of…and let’s have a cheer for the cgi people, who have had to outdo themselves yet again to come up with such a seamless visual even though paul’s filming left so many disparate pieces to patch together (hey, when it hasn’t been done, you have to make it up as you go )that has been the real creative strength of lexx…everyone has always been gifted and dedicated enough to pull it together )

Anonymous

Thanks for all the great comments! I probably should’ve waited a week or so but after watching it 4 times the night before I woke up and pounded away at the board, so many comments are personal interpetations of watching two people play a game of chess. I read a couple threads where people thought that Prince and Kai sucked at Chess. It’s easy to say “They suck” but when you arent playing the moves arent based off you. What some see as “obvious” better moves, usually arent. One major thing does nag at me. In round 6-7 why didnt Prince (e4-e5)? Just about every simulation I’ve put it through on my machine today with various 1900-2100 elo, the computer makes that move. Thats why Im sure this is a famous game, its clearly based off 2 strategic genius’s. Plus the positioning was so pretty to look at. They had built 2 great bishop/knight/queen defenses across from each other, one king-side, one queen-side. And so many Prince potential attacks vs Kais tiny little Knight-pawn attack. In terms of “Lexx” it’s interesting to note that Kai plays a game where all that matters is the end result. He sacrificed everything for the win. Very much in keeping with character.

Prince however played a safe game. He built a solid defense and had massive attack capability, yet refused to commit to any single attack until his biggest most obvious attack was ready (Rook/Queen). Its odd he didnt have any diversions, but then again his attack was very obvious and diversions would of wasted time. But then again a good diversion like that could’ve removed Kai’s knight threat. But if that had happened Kai wouldent of sacrificed 790-rooks. Hehe, so many options!!

I agree that they ended “The Game” episode too early. If Prince is going to keep his bargain then they should of thrown us a bone, maybe a smile by Kai or some indication of life. This would have really put the nail in on The Game as being the point where Kai regains his soul. As it is were really not sure if Prince will keep his word or not and if the game mattered at all. In any event, I ended up watching it 4 times the first night it was on, I just love this episode. I ended up writing this thread the next morning after I woke up. So some of my comments are premature. It’s certainly my favorite ep of all time. Brigadoom and The Beach a close 2nd

PS I looked all day at over 350 games, without a filter :/ so I cant find what game this is. Hopefully someone can re-ask in Halifax if it comes up. Sorry bout that.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Uhh season 3 was very continous. It was almost one long mini series. I think you mean s2.

No, I mean S3. I agree that it’s very continuous, but the endings, like this one, tend to not really *end*, y’know? I just don’t think that the “cliffhanger”-type endings that the Beans used (and use again in this ep) are used that well. Take for instance, the end of “Garden.” We see Garden about to be attacked, and…well, that’s it. Rather than end on a note of surprise, it seems as if they just ran out of time, and let the episode end. Same here, really. I guess what I’m trying to say is that, IMHO, some of the S3 eps, and this one in particular, don’t really end on a note that feels like things are in motion — the endings jolt the viewer to a total stop, and instead of the initial reaction being “what’s going to happen,” my initial reaction is “it’s *over*?” It’s not really a completely *bad* thing, it’s just kind of jarring.

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Flamegrape:

There’s a mistake in move 21
    Its w(b2-b3)
    You input w(b2xa3)

It’s what he *should* of done but not the move hehe Thanks for all the work!

Okay, it’s fixed! I changed the configuration of the pieces in round 21 and all the rounds thereafter.

It really wasn’t much work. I almost instantly found the chess piece GIFs on a number of chess webpages on the internet. It was a simple matter to create an HTML table and set up the pieces in Macromedia Dreamweaver. Then I just copied-and-pasted the table after I made each move. Copying and pasting LexxLurkers notes were just as simple for me. All of it took maybe less than an hour.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    I ended up watching it 4 times the first night it was on, I just love this episode. I ended up writing this thread the next morning after I woke up. So some of my comments are premature.

If you would like to revise your notes, feel free to think about it and write some more! It’s no problem for me. Just send me an email to [email protected].

Anonymous

Lovely! Lovely, lovely lovely!

I too am not familiar with the game they played, but it went by so fast and I did not get a tape.

Lovely episode too. I’ve not seen that opening much, but I don’t play much either.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Someone by the name of “Dr. Ian” found my webpage illustrating 4.18 The Game based on LexxLurker’s notes. This is what he emailed me:

quote:

The game being played is LaBourdonnais (White) vs. McDonnell (Black) played in 1834. It is game 21 of a set of about 85. In the original game, the last two moves were slightly different. Instead of making the pawn in to a queen, LaBourdonnais made it in to a knight to attack the black king. The king then moved out of the way avoiding the check. Then white moved his knight to block his king and possibly attack the other knight, but then black checkmated with the other knight in the same way. It’s fairly obvious that the changes were
    simply to do with the characters and the plot of the episode, so they’re really just cosmetic changes. I hope this information is useful.

This will make a good update for my page!

———-

UPDATE:
    Found some webpages about this famous match:
    http://www.mark-weeks.com/chess/t4lm$mix.htm
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/lbmdb.txt
    http://www.markorr.net/tica/players/mcdonnella/home.html
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/lbmda.txt
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/forster04.txt
    http://www.chess.about.com/blg0006.htm

I had no idea…

[ 26-03-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

You rock Flamegrape. My head has finally stopped hurting now I know which one it was If memory serves this game was part of like some 100 matches the two played against each other. The matches really werent important except that it re-popularized Chess in the 1800s. It was widely followed around Europe. This guy “Dr. Ian” blows me away, I wish I had his type of knowledge and range on famous chess matches.

Anonymous

This stuff is GREAT! Thank you. I wonder how the Beans found this particular game–it suits their purposes so well.

elmey

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:
    This stuff is GREAT! Thank you. I wonder how the Beans found this particular game–it suits their purposes so well.

elmey

As I understand it, LaBourdonnais vs. McDonnell was an extremely famous chess match. Legendary, in fact. For the last 168 years, expert chess enthusiests have thoroughly examined that match. Some of the games of that match were deemed particularly interesting. Game 21 was one of those interesting games.

Records and reviews of famous chess matches are easily obtainable. It seems that it was a matter of finding which famous game resembled “the larger game” between Kai and Prince.

UberToaster
    Participant

What’s all this about ’rounds’? And all the stuff about ‘squares covered’? Your notation looks very strange to me too… as I said in the other thread, I’ve played a lot of chess (inc. at international level ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and I’ve never heard a game of chess being discussed like this. Is this standard stuff for chess in America? I’m posting from England, FYI.

Thanks to the guy for finding which game this is – the online database I was using to look up games seems to have sunk without a trace.

I’m surprised this game was played between two such famous players… I didn’t think this was a particularly high quality game, but I appreciate standards were much lower back then.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.