The Lexx UScon Recon Mission – Report

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Conventions The Lexx UScon Recon Mission – Report

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Friday

Atlanta bound. As I woke up at the crack of dawn, *before* my alarm went off, I just couldn’t believe it. In a few minutes I was going to start getting ready to go to Dragon con in Lexxlanta… a more readable copy of this report complete with picture has been posted at /lexxcons/US-Uncon.htm

Well, there you have it people, our UScon Recon Mission report. As I indicated earlier, it looks good for next year and I am a definite go. So start planning now. It is labor day weekend of 2003, so you can start making you arrangements or saving your change for it now. With in the next few weeks, I will get together a list of people who want to volunteer as coordinators for the various activities that we will have, and get the information needed to try to get our Lexx Cast invited. Please keep your eyes on this board

I want to thank all the people that attended, and donated time, talent and the pictures (Thank you Todd and Flame) necessary to file this report in such a timely manner. Lexxians Rule!

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: thefrey ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

I have a couple of things to add….

When I originally intended to go to DragonCon 2002, my sole purpose was to see Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy of TV’s Mystery Science Theater 3000. Lucky for me, it turned into a fun Lexx gathering for me and my fellow online fans. During most of the weekend, I spent most of my time hanging out with them and I had a blast. It wasn’t until the Masquerade did I remember that Mike and Kevin were the original reason for my attendance. And there they were up on stage, being the masters of ceremonies for the Masquerade. We could observe the events onstage from backstage via closed-circuit television. Unfortunately, we could not hear anything that was being said! Next to me was a fellow contestant. She asked, “Who are those guys?” I explained that they were the guys from MST3K. “Oh my Gawd! They’re going to make fun of our costumes!” I reassured her that they are actually very nice guys and I was right about that. I would have loved to have heard what they said about our little “act.” All I heard was the tail end of an amusing comment about “clusterlizards.”

Also, there’s something that needs to be emphasized about the Masquerade. This event is the climax of the entire DragonCon experience. There was a fire marshal on hand as well as police. This event is so huge that it was simply impossible to let everyone into the auditorium. After a certain point, they could not permit any more people in there. Then subsequently, they closed off the floor where the Masquerade was being held because of the massive number of people. After the show was over, we had to “run the Gauntlet.” Each group of contestestants followed a one hundred meter cordened-off walk the started from the backstage entrance all the was up to the end of the escalators into the lobby. It was lined with hundreds upon hundreds of people lined up at least five-deep and all of them were flashing pictures. Periodically along the walk, X’s were marked with masking tape to indicate where each group should stop and pose for cameras. We felt like movie stars. And that last little bit of fun convinced us that we needed to do this again next year.

(For everyone’s information, it may be possible to obtain a videotaped copy of the Masquerade. I sent the folks at DragonCon a simple email asking about this. And the reply was that they were trying to work on this. So have patience. I might be able to provide an online videoclip of our Masquerade performance!)

Anonymous

I have been looking all over the net and I found some stage photos of “we”. And some of us “running the Gauntlet!”
    http://snow.prohosting.com/drdyper/crew.jpg

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: thefrey ]

Anonymous

I CAN’T WAIT TILL IT ALL HAPPENS AGAIN!!!
    YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (you know, they say things are even better the second time around….)Boy, this next year is sure gonna seem long…
    Great article! Pretty much says it all!

Tree
    Participant

Hi theFrey! *wave wave wave*
    Wonderful write up! You remembered everything!
    I love the picture with theSpouse. Very cute.
    Last weekend was a truly wonderful experience. I think I’m going through a bit of withdrawal, actually. Darn real life.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Tree:
    Hi theFrey! *wave wave wave*
    Wonderful write up! You remembered everything!

Thanks, but one thing I did forget. Attention shoppers: My name is pronounced FRY, okay? Eveyone fry… fry… fry. There, glad we got that straightened out.

Who knew that people had been mispronouncing it all this time

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:

Thanks, but one thing I did forget. Attention shoppers: My name is pronounced FRY, okay? Eveyone fry… fry… fry. There, glad we got that straightened out.

Who knew that people had been mispronouncing it all this time

My falt, mum Fry

Oh hey, I emailed Pete and send him links to the write up and here and lexx.com.
    He emailed me back and was looking for the red head Xev email whoch I didnt have.

So Frey what do you think? Me, Pete and Tree
    Lexx road show?

HDS

mandara k
    Participant

Jiminy Christmas; I miss one freakin event and it shows up in the report.

Yeah, fun was had by all and the car ride was a lot like a thrill ride; HDS you ever thought about stock car racing in your spare time? YEESH. Well, I’m used to it; my Ex loves to drive his MR2 like that; we must have tried every curvy road in New England at top speeds; so it’s no problem to me.

theFrey
    Participant

Well didn’t you see me taking roll? Notice I squealed on Flame too, he was always showing up hours after everyone else was there. Speaking of which, does he not look like Kevin Kline/Artemus Gordon in this pic? http://www.thefrey.com/images/HDScrew.jpg

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: thefrey ]

theFrey
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention HDS dragging an artist over to see me. His name is Randall/Corvus he does excellent work. I hope he decides to post this and a few of his other links at the Lexx Fan Art section. http://deadman.crowfans.com/pics/kai.jpg

Anonymous

Great reports! From everyone. I’ve never gone to one of the conventions but you guys make it sound like so much fun I’m actually thinking about it now….

elmey

Jhevz
    Participant

Wonderful report, Frey; as soon as I write mine, I’ll definitely post it; I’m sorry we missed 1 another last Friday, but I didn’t know what time to meet or where. The day/night I did meet you nice people, made my trip that much more. You people helped me fulfill 1 of my dreams; I plan to tell everyone about my trip soon; & as soon as I finish my film & get them developed, I’ll be posting them; I just don’t know when yet. It was just great to finally meet you all, take pictures & have a glorious & wonderful time; I can’t wait till next yr; may be we all can spend more time with 1 another next yr.
    You all are great & wonderful people & may be we can become friends; take care & I’ll definitely see you all next yr. Have a great last of Summer & Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

theFrey
    Participant

OMG! How could I forget. As I was checking out Sunday, a whole slew of little old baptist women were checking in. I was surround by short little ladies in white suits and the most elaborate white hats. I was like what the hey?!? So I asked at the bell desk what was up. Apparently they were there for the Black Baptist Womans Convention that started on Monday.

One wonders what they thought of the whole Dragon Con thing?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    OMG! How could I forget. As I was checking out Sunday, a whole slew of little old baptist women were checking in. I was surround by short little ladies in white suits and the most elaborate white hats. I was like what the hey?!? So I asked at the bell desk what was up. Apparently they were there for the Black Baptist Womans Convention that started on Monday.

One wonders what they thought of the whole Dragon Con thing?

From what I saw and heard they had a great time! http://www.dreamwyver.net/dcon01/fetish/dconf143.JPG

Jhevz
    Participant

Frey & HDS, I just had a fantastic time just being with you & the rest of the gang; I loved it when you people would talk about the episodes I haven’t seen yet; it made me want to see them that much more. You all also helped me fulfill 1 of my dreams; & I do very much appreciate that.
    Take care all & I’ll see you very nice people next yr; have a great last of Summer & Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

Midori
    Participant

Ohhh.. Im definatley going next year!! I hope i make some good friends here in the mean time, this way i can meet people =) My son will have just turnd 1!! and i was thinking of making him in to a tiny lexx character!! Any sugestions??
    OOO and seeing as im limited on the computer now.. does any one know where i can get all the information i need on this event?? like an official web site etc.???

Midori

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Midori ]

Anonymous

dragoncon.com thefrey is organizing the whole Lexx thing, and I have contacted their main office and volunteered to help out organizing certain “things” I had issues with this past con (like events or forums not starting on time…or at all, for that matter!) One thing is for sure …the more people who go, the more the cost can come down. Tickets are cheaper (like air fare) when bought ahead of time, and they were offering a discount price when blocks of tickets were bought at the same time,etc. Also, Midori (or any of us with young kids)they offer on-site child care. I didn’t check it out when I was there, but I know it’s available. However, unless you have to, I personally don’t recommend bringing kids, tho I did see a few! So keep your eyes on thefreys site and here for the latest! Trini
    thefrey.com

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Trini_T ]

theFrey
    Participant

Most of the kids I saw were locals I beleive. When the Spouse and I were out wandering I saw several making their way to the main hotels. Later I saw their folks with day badges.

I did notice the day care, but it ended just when stuff would start getting fun. I didn’t see the price though.

Midori
    Participant

I was thinking about bringing the baby.. and thought it would be best to leave him here with my mother.. but still thought it would be adorable to put him in a costume..
    And THANX FOR THE LINK!!! =)
    And i guess ill find out when everyone buys tickest etc. here on the board

Midori

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.