The make a movie game!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub The make a movie game!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CLR2
    Participant

Someone on another forum was bringing down remakes and how the movie industry suffers from them. I somewhat agree, but this got me thinking at what kind of projects out there could and should be translated to film.

So here’s the game:

Pick two books/short stories/videogames, hell even urban legends, that you think would make a good films.

Include a director for the job, and any important leads. No need to get into details, its just to give readers a quick idea.

I’ll start.

Slaughter House 5, directed by Terry Gilliam, lead Ewan McGregor.

Dark Elf Trilogy. Proyas directing (lets see how batman turns out). I can’t imagine the actors but I certainly think it would be great entertainment (plus great franchise).

EDIT: Gabriel Mann:Drizzt Do’Urden, Zaknafein:Gabriel Byrne, Vierna Do’Urden/Llolth:Rebecca Romijn, Joaquin Phoenix:Artemis Entreri

Anonymous

Heh, I’m sticking to the 2-limit rule but using multiple catagories 😛

Classics:

Quentin Tarantino to do “Paradise Lost”, just because it might be the funniest movie ever. Otherwise Kenneth Branaugh.

and hmm “Divine Comedy” by Peter Jackson, since he’s good at trilogies.

Games:

Brian Fargo’s “Fallout” with Mel Gibson directing.

Ford/Reichs “Star Control 2” with George Lucas

Short stories:

Lets call “Tunnel in the Sky” a short story, since it is by Heinlein standards. With Akira Kurosawa directing.

theFrey
    Participant

Okay, we got your directors, but who are some of your leads?

CLR2
    Participant

Startide Rising (by Brin), I don’t know many asian actors that can play Toshio. Maybe that asian guy from Voyager. Directed by James Cameron. There was alot of action in the book and I think he’s good in those kinds of films.

Books of Blood, the story with the two villages that resolve their differences in a very odd manner – director Ridley Scott. I don’t recall any main characters but for some reason Pierce Brosnan in a massive flesh monster seems appropriate.

pet
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

Quentin Tarantino to do “Paradise Lost”, just because it might be the funniest movie ever.

😆 😆 😆 SWEEEET! 😆 😆 😆

Walken in a dual role as Satan and God? Carradine as Beelzebub? Hayek as Death? Thurman as Eve? Could work!

Unless Walken wanted to reprise Gabriel, in which case I suggest Willem Dafoe as God and Satan.

theFrey
    Participant

The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMasters Bujold

Young Miles Vorkosigan (Elijah Wood of LOTR) http://sararinoa.altervista.org/Elijah%20Wood!.jpg fails to pass a physical test to get into the Service Academy. On a trip, necessities force him to improvise the Free Dendarii Mercenaries into existence, he has unintended but unavoidable adventures for four months. Leaves the Dendarii in Ky Tung’s competent hands and takes Elli Quinn (Julia Roberts) to Beta for rebuilding of her damaged face; returns to Barrayar to thwart plot against his father. Emperor pulls strings to get Miles into the Academy. I think that ( Ioan Gruffudd King Arthur, Hornblower) http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0211181/11?path=pgallery&path_key=Gruffudd,%20Ioan would be perfect as his cousin Ivan

But I can’t think who would play his father, he was be commanding kinda military looking, a bit stocky and not reall tall. Think a thinner version of Brian Dennehy from Cocoon. Who would match that these days?

Cesare
    Participant

Short stories: Saki’s Sredni Vashtar directed possibly by Neil Jordan. Can’t think of the cast though. Esp. Conradin is a problem. More insight into Conradin’s fantasies and imaginary world (not described in the story) would be fine – and maybe necessary.
    And I’d love to see one of Richard Weiner’s stories made into a movie by Jan Švankmajer (you probably don’t know Weiner and I’m not sure, if you know Švankmajer, but it would work. It’d be marvellous, actually).

Games – certainly Planescape: Torment. I mean, not just Planescape world, but the PT story made into a movie. More accent on the secrets, exploring of the forgotten identities, psychology, less action (but not without action either, of course). Some localities, sub-quests and such would have to be left out, but isn’t waking up in a mortuary with all memories lost and a talking skull floating above you a fine opening? Not to mention the awesome ending. It’s just a dream… I know that adapting the STORY of a game isn’t something filmmakers are usually tempted to do. No idea about who could play the Nameless One. Action heroes like The Rock or Vin Diesel do not work for me…:-/ Any ideas?
    No idea about the director either… But the movie should be very dark, morbid and depressive.

And of course some nice movie from Fallout or Fallout 2 world. Can’t think of a good plot, but Ron Perlman should play a mutie and in the middle of the movie someone cool like Vincent Cassel, Jon Rhys Meyers or Johnny Depp wearing a vault 13 outfit could appear, totally drunk, and he would shout out something like „Where do they sell GECKs in this stinkin hole…“ (Uma Thurman or Brittany Murphy if the Chosen One should be a female.) And Walken for bad boss (should have a pet golden gecko). And somewehere in the movie the hero could stumble in front of a stargate. The wormhole opens, SG1 team comes out and something funny happens – lot of possibilities. George Miller as the director… (Dull – but justified, I think…;-))

Books – Silmarillion. Not the whole thing of course. Just Fëanor and especially his sons. Could focus on Maedhros (because I like him a lot). Directed by Peter Jackson (so dull of me, again, I know…;-)). Certainly Ralph Fiennes as Fëanor and Vincent Cassel as Caranthir (imagine sindarin or quenya with french accent – lovely…:-)), but the others – no idea.
    The other book is from czech author, probably unknown to you, director would be czech, too (what’s worse – the director – FrantiÅ¡ek Vláčil is already dead) and all the actors who come to my mind are czech, too, so that’s it…:-]

Gee, that was rather long.

Anonymous
    Inactive

King & Straub’s The Talisman (which found itself in movie development hell) directed by Wim Wenders with some 12 year old kid as Jack.

Plato’s Republic directed by the Farrelly brothers, and starring Van Damme as Socrates.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.