The Office- American version

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub The Office- American version

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 19 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    YOWAYYO
    Participant

I am curious, anyone gonna watch the American version of “The Office” when it airs next week or two?

I fell in love with this show when it aired on BBC America a couple of years back but I admit it had to grow on me after several eps because I didn’t “get it” at first. Anyway, this new version doesn’t look promising (my first impression) but I’ll have to give it some time like the original.

If anyone toils in obscurity (like me) in an office/ cube prairie/ or whatever, this may be the show for you. Here’s hoping NBC doesn’t F it up like they did “Coupling.”

YO WAY YO,

Shiroekitsune
    Participant

Red Dwarf, Coupling, Mr. Bean (movie), and Dr. Who (movie)….

Ya it will be screwed!

Anonymous
    Inactive

So many clever Brit shows have been detoothed/dewittified/bastardised. Generally, but there are exceptions, I’m not a fan of remakes/reimaginings of TV shows and movies, no matter which country the source material/idea came from. So much of what made the original special is lost in the transition/translation.

Men Behaving Badly was another Brit show I liked where I thought the US version very poor.

Three’s Company, which I still like, was a pretty sanitised version of the raunchy Man About the House. And they did a terrible job on one of my fave shows of all time, Cracker.

Oh, and Iron Chef America is not nearly as entertaining as the Japanese Iron Chef, IMHO.

Anyway, The Office is a great show. I’ll give the US version a chance, but won’t be expecting much.

Anonymous

It was on last night but I missed it. Steve Carrell should really shine in Gervais role, and I cant wait to see the American equivilant of Gareth.

Anyone watch it?

lexxrobotech
    Participant

is it just me???

Or why is it the America always has to change programs to have ‘Americans’ in them to make them better?

I couldn’t care less wether a series was English, American or Australian.

Must be an American thing. ๐Ÿ™„

Shiroekitsune
    Participant

Its a hollywood thing, not all Americans are that stupid!

theFrey
    Participant
    lexxrobotech wrote:

Must be an American thing. ๐Ÿ™„

No, it is a business thing. When they buy the rights (or rip them off via an uncredited knock-off) they then control the flow of the show, they have the ability to directly decide what, when, who, and how for a lot of different asspects. What you wonder? Well, Salary, hiring, firing, writer control, spin -off build ups, scheduling and that most important of all things…. profit. Especially profit from secondary sources like merchandising and product placement.

Oh, and they of course have first hand control over the people they will be making stars. None of this kid glove treatment required because the stars of the show opperate under different labor laws or are in another country and must be coaxed into doing (or not doing) various things. We own ’em, we can just tell them what to do.

It is all very simple you see. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sidhecafe
    Participant

I watched the premiere- there were one, two funny moments…mostly not that funny.

Anonymous
    Sidhecafe wrote:

I watched the premiere- there were one, two funny moments…mostly not that funny.

I just caught it on a rerun on CNBC. I was really surprised. I expected it to have a lot more original content, but instead was pretty much the same dialogue, cleaned up a bit. Steve Carrell is really funny as usual, but unfortunately I’ve already seen the UK version, so it’s a pale rehash in some ways.

All in all I did enjoy it, but if it continues this way, I’d rather just watch the original on DVD ๐Ÿ˜•

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.