The Pledge of Allegiance

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub The Pledge of Allegiance

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

http://reason.com/links/links062702.shtml

Exodus 8:2
    And if you refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite your entire
    land with frogs.

Anonymous

It’s all a conspiracy I tell you! The International Brotherhood of Freemasons, Jew Zionists and Illuminati, led by the Cigarette-Smoking Man behind it I tell you! You gpotta believe me man, you gotta!

theFrey
    Participant

So your thoughts on the whole thing would be?

Me personally? Leave it alone. With a few exceptions most people believe in some god.

For instance I worship at the altar of technology and frequently beg the techno gods (yes it is a multiple god head) to strike down blasphemers who profane their hardware. One particular prayer that I have is that they one day smite, all the people that lay their CD’s in a pile of clutter on their desk and then pluck another filthy, dusty Cd out of the pile and jam it into the machine. I pray that these heathens will be struck by an electrical discharge from a faulty surge suppressor. Not as flashy as lighting, but then the Techno gods work in mysterious ways.

Anonymous

Theyre like the sheep!!!!
    THEYRE TAKING OVER!!!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    Me personally? Leave it alone. With a few exceptions most people believe in some god.

For instance I worship at the altar of technology

aleck, help me out here, my copies of the book have been stolen so often that i am having trouble remembering the name …it’s the book by harlan ellison, deathbird stories i think, where he addresses the need for gods, and the new gods which have arisen to take the place of the old ones…

insofar as the pledge, and whatever conspiracy it may or may not represent, although i myself am an athiest, i do not lose sleep over the invoking of god in this separation of church and state country of ours; it’s part of our somewhat schizophrenic national character…the idea of the pledge having been written by one extremist expounding his views and being adopted by extremists at the opposite end just shows the general slipperiness of ideas and words in general everyone takes home something different from the same phrase/paragraph/slogan

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    …it’s the book by harlan ellison, deathbird stories i think, where he addresses the need for gods, and the new gods which have arisen to take the place of the old ones…

Are you sure it isn’t Terry Pratchett? He has covered the topic quite a bit in his books. Small Gods was the comprensive coverage of the topic, but it has also been touched upon in the Last Continent and Hogfather.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:

Are you sure it isn’t Terry Pratchett? He has covered the topic quite a bit in his books. Small Gods was the comprensive coverage of the topic, but it has also been touched upon in the Last Continent and Hogfather.

Nah, t’isn’t Pratchett. Though he does deal with the subject. It’s Ellison’s Deathbird Stories, which is sadly out of print (though you can get it used online for fairly cheap). A really good contempo take on the same theme (not a collection of shorts like Ellison’s, and not comic in nature like Pratchett’s) is Neil Gaiman’s American Gods, which pits the gods of the Old World (who were brought to this country by those who settled here) against the new American gods. It’s neat.

My thoughts? The “under god” reference should have never been in there to begin with. Even if most people believe in some kind of god, there are those who most certainly don’t, and some that — while they may believe in some deity — aren’t comfortable with having their deity mucking about in government. And while it can be argued that “under god” sounds generic enough, it’s plainly obvious what deity is being referred to (aren’t Christians the only folks who refer to their deity by its job description, because JHVH-1’s name is too “powerful” to speak, else all of creation come undone?).

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    (aren’t Christians the only folks who refer to their deity by its job description, because JHVH-1’s name is too “powerful” to speak, else all of creation come undone?).

–Aleck

Jehovah is an alien and still threatens this planet!

The Doctor Alt 8
    Participant

I`m a Brit, but dispite the fact that this means we had no pleadge of aligience, we had to endure a similer hell of school assemblies with prayers… with, as soon as I stoped being a blasted sheep and started thinking for myself I violently objected to.
    In a multi-culteral society, which is surposed to belive in freedom of speach it is obsecene to have ” god ” ( in whatever it`s manifistation ) forced upon someone.
    If i ruled the world I`d make it illiegal to infect children with any form of religious education.
    If you wish to follow a faith, you should be free to do so only when you are of legal age ( And I`d make THAT 21 ! )
    Teaching religious education to children, making them biased towards a certain sect is tantermount to child abuse and should be seen as such.

Rag
    Participant
    ”The wrote:

If you wish to follow a faith, you should …

I know I’m being dead pedantic, but I think you probably meant ‘religion’ not ‘faith’.

Faith is a belief in something bigger than you are, and never hurt anyone.

Religion is the bundle of strictures and doctrines that screws the whole thing up.

Faith never started a war, Religion is behind most of them.

Oh, and ‘theFrey’… 100% with you on the fluffy CD thing. 100%

Anonymous

[/quote]I know I’m being dead pedantic, but I think you probably meant ‘religion’ not ‘faith’.

Faith is a belief in something bigger than you are, and never hurt anyone.

Religion is the bundle of strictures and doctrines that screws the whole thing up.

Faith never started a war, Religion is behind most of them. [/quote]

i totally agree!!!
    i do believe organized religion is a totally seperate issue from someones true belief. religion has been responsible for more crimes against humanity than anything else in the world. we have only to look to the everyday news to see the corruption of Islam in the Middle East and even closer to home with the Catholic priest here in the US. i am very sad that religion has been corrupted in this way but this is something that has been going on for awhile and the only way to attempt to stop it is to stand firm on your own personal belief and hope that someone is listening!

btw i don’t mean that that religion of Islam is corrupt, i was referring to the corruption that is the fundamentalist sect.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.