The Prime Directive?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

It doesn’t matter if you’re not a Trek fan, i would be interested to hear people’s views on the Prime Directive as a realistic policy for our future in space. Would such a directive be necessary for the space-faring human race, or not?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by snooklepie:
    It doesn’t matter if you’re not a Trek fan, i would be interested to hear people’s views on the Prime Directive as a realistic policy for our future in space. Would such a directive be necessary for the space-faring human race, or not?

Forget having one in space, the world could do with one right now.
    But if it were to happen that we meet other races, then yeah, you would need to have some guidelines, the one good thing about Trek is that it does show that we are to quick to act on instinct and that we fear what we don’t know, and that could prove dangerous.
    I think the Prime Directive is an attempt to keep human emotions out of the equation, we’ll probably end up finding out that the Vulcans had most of the say in the Prime Directive.
    Squishy

Anonymous

We will undoubtedly set a policy for our interaction with other species. Going by past history, we will undoubtedly also find a way to interpret it to suit our political and economic needs of the moment.

I’m not convinced there can be a “prime directive” that is suitable under all circumstances. Once you’ve begun the interaction with an alien race you’ve already started to change the equation.

elmey

Deliena
    Participant

I have to say I agree with Elmey – there is a necessity for something similar to the Prime Directive, but Human Nature being what it is, the likelihood of it being perverted due to ‘circumstance’ is pretty high.

The other point that Elmey makes about intervention is a vital point. It’s similar to the arguement that goes on in psychology circles, does the very fact that the participants know that it is an experiment change the basic nature of their reaction/interaction?

It is important to also remember that any interaction in space with aliens / whatever is likely to be entirely in the hands of the miltary – and miltary organisations have a tendancy to plan ahead. There is probably a protocol already drafted somewhere ready for the situation, if it should occur.

Just my couple of pennies worth

Anonymous

I don’t see us effectively implementing some sort of protocol along the lines specified above. I see its purpose and intentions but it won’t happen when we have rogue nations sticking their fingers in their global neighbour’s pies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.