The Prisoner

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve taken this topic from the Lexx board, so, for my Lexxian comrades, I’ll post some Lexx vs. The Prisoner questions to start the ball rolling:

If the Village were pitted against the Lexx, who do you think would win? What about 790 vs. Rover? Okay to be fair, 791 vs. Rover. And what about No. 2’s Butler vs. Kai?

If you’re not familiar with The Prisoner, or even if you are, please check out these fine links:
    http://www.the-prisoner-6.freeserve.co.uk/%5B/url%5D
    http://www.retroweb.com/prisoner.html
    http://www.netreach.net/~sixofone/%5B/url%5D
    http://freespace.virgin.net/rob.free-for-all/%5B/url%5D
    http://www.io.com/~jkweston/prisoner.html
    http://members.aol.com/joebrae/prisoner.htm

“I am not a number, I’m a free man” (No. 6) http://www.io.com/~jkweston/sounds/prisoner.wav

Listen to the following quotes by clicking on the links:

“I am not an animal, I am a human being” (The Elephant Man”) http://www.geocities.com/aaronbcaldwell/notaniml.wav

“I am not a dumbass elephant, I’m Dumbo the elephant” (Dumbo) No audio file available

pet
    Participant

Hey, Logan,

Wanted to 10-Q 4 posting the Prisoner links. My set should arrive tomorrow; I am currently unprepared to discuss any death matches. (I think I’ve only seen 2 eps in my life. Only enough to recognise the references in the Simpsons tribute episode, I’m afraid.)

Since I’m not really watching TV lately, I’m going to (try to) watch only one ep a day to stretch it out. I’m really looking forward to it. I’m very nearly dancing in my chair! Hee Hee!

Pet;D

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Logan:
    If the Village were pitted against the Lexx, who do you think would win? What about 790 vs. Rover?

Hmm. I’m not quite sure I understand the question. WOuldn’t the LEXX just blast the whole continet to bits?

Rover would easily win over 790 simply becasue , Rover is cooler and 790 would deserve it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

Hmm. I’m not quite sure I understand the question. WOuldn’t the LEXX just blast the whole continet to bits?

Rover would easily win over 790 simply becasue , Rover is cooler and 790 would deserve it.

Wow! A response from the Big Cheese!

They’re just some ridiculous questions in the style of the posts at a certain other Lexx forum which will go unmentioned at this time. However, when you watch the final Prisoner episode (which happens to be my favourite), you’ll see that the village has a little secret lol — as if you weren’t aware that there were secrets already. Anyway it has something that could possibly take out the Lexx, but I won’t give away any spoilers.

By the way, I’m very lucky that my library has The Prisoner DVDs so I’m getting the chance to catch up on the episodes.

On a side note, has anyone here seen Danger Man, also known as Secret Agent Man, with Patrick McGoohan? I also liked the actor in one of my favourite sci-fi films: Scanners.

pet
    Participant

Awww! I LOVE Scanners…. anything with Michael Ironside in it is a sure sign of good “B”!

Haven’t seen Secret Agent Man, but it’s in my wishlist…. (though admittedly if I bought everything on my wishlist I would either have to go without eating or without 401K). Had to get The Prisoner and Space 1999, first, then some stuff for my hubby. He’s had a craving for Gattaca, lately.

Pet;D

Anonymous

quote:

On a side note, has anyone here seen Danger Man, also known as Secret Agent Man, with Patrick McGoohan? I also liked the actor in one of my favourite sci-fi films: Scanners.

YES. I’ve only seen a few episodes but totally cool series, totally cool music.
    Wasn’t Prisoner meant to be sort of a sequel to Secret Agent Man?

elmey

Anonymous

quote:

Wow! A response from the Big Cheese!

They’re just some ridiculous questions in the style of the posts at a certain other Lexx forum which will go unmentioned at this time. However, when you watch the final Prisoner episode (which happens to be my favourite), you’ll see that the village has a little secret lol — as if you weren’t aware that there were secrets already. Anyway it has something that could possibly take out the Lexx, but I won’t give away any spoilers.

By the way, I’m very lucky that my library has The Prisoner DVDs so I’m getting the chance to catch up on the episodes.

Considering that LEXX only got a touch of indigestion from swallowing a space shuttle armed with nukes, I’m not sure the Village has anything capable of taking him out.

Yes, I have vague memories of “Secret Agent.” Again, I was kind of young at the time, but I think my dad liked the show and I would hide behind the couch to watch. I know the theme song for the US showing was a hit single.

When I get done hunting down “The Prisoner” stuff I might just have to buy a “Secret Agent” DVD or 2…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

We’re gonna party like it’s Space 1999

Pet: Space 1999 was great! Sometimes I watch it just to remember what it was like living at the end of the 90s — I have short-term memory. My only beef is that the theme song of Space 1999 should have been “Gonna party like it’s 1999.” But I guess that The Artist Formerly Known as Prince and Who is Now Known as Prince Again wrote that song long before 1999, so they couldn’t really use it in the documentary.

Elmey: I’ve read that the Prisoner was both a sequel to Secret Agent and that it is definitely not a sequel, which I think is suitably enigmatic for a show as enigmatic as The Prisoner.

MicroMary: Have you seen the last Prisoner episode? Cause judging by your post it looks like you might be on the right track, but looks can be deceiving. Could it be a rocket, could it be a giant Rover that could eat the huge Lyekka (Lexx, season 4) as an appetiser, or could it be something else? I have to be careful here because I don’t want to give away any spoilers.

There are many recurring themes in The Prisoner. Throughout the series Number 6 asks, “Who is Number 1?” Well, he finally does meet No. 1. This “revelation” (or nonsense as some people say***) has surprised and puzzled many people. I say that the (somewhat dim-witted) Lexx would be so confused by this that it would self-implode in a fit of baffled wonder, or something like that.

*** many people would also call this explanation nonsense, and they’d be right!

Actaully, the last episode really did anger and confuse a lot of people because it seemed to offer more questions than answers to the central mysteries of the village. I thought it was great.

Anonymous

ORANGE ALERT! ORANGE ALERT!

If you haven’t seen the last episode of The Prisoner and you don’t want to be spoiled, kindly close your eyes and bypass this reply. Otherwise I’ll have no choice but to sic Rover on you to make sure your eyes are covered.

Logan, the first time I ever saw “Fall Out” my reaction was “What was THAT?!?!” Many years later, when I got to see the series again (on PBS, perhaps) my reaction was “Am I trippin’?? Am I gettin’ a contact high off somebody??” Having just watched it again, I’m impressed with what a fine example it is of what sleep deprivation can do to a creative mind.

Alas, poor Rover. He just went to pieces in the end. And, in close-up that thing looks like a good ol’ fashioned Saturn 5 to me. Too bad you can tell the image is superimposed.

OK, to answer the questions you started this whole thread with:

790 vs Rover – no contest, Rover could roll all over 790, even if he had his little cart. Even though 790 doesn’t have a mouth in the biological sense of the word, Rover could certainly muffle 790 well enough that the robot head would short-circuit in frustration. And remember, in “Chimes of Big Ben” Rover was shot at and didn’t go POP, so he’s more indestructible than 790, who just goes to pieces when you drop him from high enough.

The Butler vs Kai – Ya know, if Kai didn’t have that codpiece, and especially if he DID have something under there – he’d be in BIIIG trouble going face-to-face…. er, maybe face to navel…. against the butler….

“Fall Out” vs The Lexx – yep, since Lexx has the intelligence of a dog, I think his head would explode after witnessing that event. If Stan hadn’t already met 2 Kais on Water, I think HIS head might have exploded, as well. Xev would only see it as a chance to double her pleasure, double her fun…. (Ooops, now I’m slipping into commercial mode!!!)

Fatguy
    Participant

I am truly an old man. I forgot about Danger Man (but saw it on T.V.); I have seen everything mentioned in this thread and more. Has anyone read Stanislaw Lem or Kurt Vonnegut (forgive the spelling if wrong) I believe I have read almost all of their works. I am truly worried as it is years since I last thought of these things – like huge parts of your life lost, then remembered again….. Man, am I old, I can’t seem to communicate with the youth anymore….. BTW, LEXX and crew would win over the Prisoner folks any day….. Also, although I have been accused of not talking specifically about sci-fi on the boards; I am starting to realize that I probably know more about sci-fi than most of you (in the broad sense). For some reason I have denied this to myself (and find it embarrassing), but “38” years of sci-fi (I even collected Star Trek memorabilia – taken later by my sister) is a lot of sci-fi……

Anonymous

WOW! 38 years of sci-fi. You’re lucky Fatguy.

I was only 10 years old in ’67 when I finally convinced my parents if I was old enough to watch the 6PM news, I was surely old enough to openly watch Star Trek without have to peek from behind the living room sofa. After all, I told them “the stuff on the news is REAL! The stuff on Star Trek ISN’T.”

Thus, I finally got to sit comfortable in the living room and watch such too-intense-for-a-10yo episodes as “Spock’s Brain” and “The Way to Eden.”

pet
    Participant

*typing with eyes closed*

I’m only up to episode 4! 10-Q 4 the spoiler warning, MM. I skipped it in a hurry.

This is for you, Logan,

Fortunately, the area I work in has shut down for a month, meaning I get to work with ACTUAL PEOPLE, not just robots for awhile. Unfortunately, we are on mandatory overtime. My regular shift is 12 hours. How many times in a row do they expect me to do that? I have quoted myself out of Office Space and Brazil….

This is actually going somewhere….

To entertain the disgruntled, I have been showing them episodes of the Prisoner verbally. I have worked here 5 1/2 years and never met my manager. However, we get emails from him all the time. The Supervisors are required to dispense the orders from this manager no one ever sees. I am convinced the times I have seen him, (at a distance), he was an actor hired to play the part, since he used the “corporate earplugs” line whenever asked a question. (FYI, for those who don’t know, “Corporate Earplugs” is the term for a manager saying “Let me get back to you on that.” There’s an unspoken understanding that you will never hear another thing about it.)

Now that we are company prisoners, since there is no law and barely a limit against mandatory OT, guess who my crew are calling No.1? Tomorrow I’m going to start referring to people by employee number.

Pet;D

pet
    Participant

Whoo-Hoo! I am LOVING this show!

Ep 5: 12 hours in a box with an Estonian spy just to find out… well, if you know what I’m talking about, then you know what I’m talking about. AWESOME! And now I know they can’t just pop or shoot those things. (I think that’s what Marge did on the first Simpsons ep referencing the Prisoner. I believe it was the tribute ep in which Homer steals the boat No. 6 has been working on for 30 years. I hope they show them again soon. LOL!)

Has anyone else watched the DVDs? They each have a trivia game, too.

Pet;D

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by pet:
    Whoo-Hoo! I am LOVING this show!

Has anyone else watched the DVDs? They each have a trivia game, too.

Pet;D

I started going through the trivia game first, before watching the episodes, so I could then pick up the errors and interesting bits when watching the episodes.

pet
    Participant

I just watched “A,B or C” a few days ago. I want to say, in the scene where No.6 is at the dream party in which he’s supposed to reveal who “C” is, the camera tilts and his mannerisms seem very familiar.

I’m getting the impression that Farscape used these devices for when John acts crazy. I don’t believe in rip-offs, but the scene was so familiar that when my husband and I watched it seperately, we both got Farscape vibes from it. It feels like a nod to me.

Pet;D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ask a silly question and get a hilarious answer!

MicroMary: Re your answers to my original silly questions. That is hilarious, thanks for the guffaw!

FatGuy: I’ve aso read Stanislaw Lem and a lot of Kurt Vonnegut (I’m a big Kurt V. fan). Surprisinly when you wrote that post I was in the middle of reading SlaughterHouse 5. I guess that Breakfast Of Champions was the first book of his that I read — he’s an amazing writer: philosophical, humourous, insightful. My favourite book of all time may still be Orwell’s 1984 — his Burmese Days (and Animal Farm of course) is also well worth reading. Oh, and when I think of 1984 I think of Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World — a favourite book of mine as a child. I suggest that you read Huxley’s Island as well as The Doors of Perception.

BTW, I never could communicate with the youth, but then I’ve never been that good at communicating with anyone else either! Oh, unless it’s a robot. Pet, are there any positions opening up at your workplace?

Pet: I’ve watched the A&E Prisoner DVDs. I was a little disappointed that there were no interviews with the makers of the show. Can’t complain though, I took them out for free from the library. Still, well worth watching on DVD.

I could never quote myself out of Office Space and Brazil! Both wonderful films. Oh, if you click on the Brazil link in my “Fave Sc-Fi Films…” thread, there’s a nice version of Brazil sung by Kate Bush. By the way, I love the way Brazil spoofed 1984.

Speaking of referring to people by employee number, I will ask again, “If you called me Number Two, would that make me a little s-it?

I have a question for all of you, if you were stranded in The Village, and you only had one Prisoner video to watch, which would it be?
    (Hint: you’d probably want to watch the one that had the best plan for escape.)

Anonymous

quote:

I have a question for all of you, if you were stranded in The Village, and you only had one Prisoner video to watch, which would it be?

Simple. “Fall Out.” Best (and, thus far, only) method of escape, summed up most succinctly by Funkmaster George Clinton in the title (and title track) of his 1971 Funkadelic album:

Free Your Mind, and Your Ass Will Follow.

–Aleck

[ 19-10-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

Fatguy
    Participant

Actually I would have to cheat and pick the last two episodes. I feel that the contest between no.1 and no.2 is important (at least to a Lone Wolf like me). It is winning this contest that sets the stage for “Fallout” (hope I got this all right – memory you know…..). I believe that “Fallout” is more a trip in no.6’s mind more than anything else…..

Maurice P.S. Some who know me – I am writing some fanfick – please do not ascribe any imagery in this story to any “hidden” aspects of my personality, it is just fiction…..

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

Simple. “Fall Out.” Best (and, thus far, only) method of escape, summed up most succinctly by Funkmaster George Clinton in the title (and title track) of his 1971 Funkadelic album.

Aleck: Yes, but the final scene in Fall Out of No. 6 driving his Lotus roadster (beautiful car that, if it’s ever auctioned off on ebay I might just buy it) indicates that he will be captured all over again — it’s how the show starts. Kinda makes you think, what’s the point? He shouldn’t have even bothered trying. Anyway, perhaps the real prison is the prison of the mind, of the psyche, a prison of your own device — we all know who number one, his real keeper is, anyway.

BTW, I love George Clinton, and named my LEXX.com persona FunkET (Funky-T) after P-Funk (Parliament). “Oww, we got the funk, give up the funk!”

FatGuy: I’m inclined to agree with you, but sometimes I wonder whether the whole Village scenario was a trip in his own mind. Or maybe it was all a figment of my own imagination, which would mean that you must also be part of some delerious hallucination (I must be really sick then), cause you claim to have seen the series too. And when I saw those pics of your as-, I must say that I thought I must be in heaven -lol. Kidding, honestly I am.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by pet:

I’m getting the impression that Farscape used these devices for when John acts crazy. I don’t believe in rip-offs, but the scene was so familiar that when my husband and I watched it seperately, we both got Farscape vibes from it. It feels like a nod to me.

The tilted camera angle is a classic, if overused, technique. A similar effect is the “bad guy cam” from the 60’s Batman series. Pretty much every time you’re in a bad guy’s lair, the camera is tilted at a 30 degree angle.

Anonymous

A more definite nod to The Prisoner would be ReBoot 3.07 “Number 7” – which is a take on “Fall Out.”

As a side note, eps 3.05-3.08 of ReBoot are known as “The Net” and 3.09-3.12 are known as “The Web” – that however, is a coincidence.

Anonymous

quote:

Ask a silly question and get a hilarious answer!

MicroMary: Re your answers to my original silly questions. That is hilarious, thanks for the guffaw!

…..

Glad you liked my silly answers, Logan.

BTW, there’s NO escape from The Village, the last scene of “Fallout” sez so.

ONE video??? I could only pick ONE?!?!?

(MM’s head explodes from trying to pick just ONE)

Anonymous

quote:

Aleck: Yes, but the final scene in Fall Out of No. 6 driving his Lotus roadster (beautiful car that, if it’s ever auctioned off on ebay I might just buy it) indicates that he will be captured all over again — it’s how the show starts. Kinda makes you think, what’s the point? He shouldn’t have even bothered trying. Anyway, perhaps the real prison is the prison of the mind, of the psyche, a prison of your own device — we all know who number one, his real keeper is, anyway.

Ah, but you could also say that the act of his driving off doesn’t mean that he’s destined to be captured again — any more than the way that the door to his flat opens automatically means that. What I take the final scene to mean is that we all have prisons (or “villages”) within ourselves — and it’s far too easy to fall into the same traps that imprisoned you in the first place. The struggle to remain one’s own person is an eternal one, and one must remain vigilant. Because Our Protagonist may again find himself victim, this doesn’t make his escape any less instructive — in fact, the potential for his fall serves as a sober warning that just questioning authority isn’t enough. You’ve got to continually question the primary authority — yourself.

BTW, I love George Clinton, and named my LEXX.com persona FunkET (Funky-T) after P-Funk (Parliament). “Oww, we got the funk, give up the funk!”

Ah, I figured that the Mothership Connection was upon you. Me, I’m waiting for my ride to swing down, so’s I can be there at Ground Zero when Dr. Funkenstein claims the secrets of the pyramids and unleashes the armies of Cloned Funkateers that were interred with the Pharoahs, so that the rest of the galaxies can, finally, be Funkatized. Maybe then, the threat of Sir Nose D’Voidoffunk (who’s one of the many who try to take your slack, in this case by drowning the globe in faked funk — but that don’t matter to the Funk Mob, ‘cuz we can dance underwater and not get wet!) can finally be put to rest.

(If none of this makes any sense at all to anyone out there, go out and get Funked up with the Parliament oeuvre — start with Mothership Connection and go forward for best thematic and conceptual unity.)

–Aleck

pet
    Participant

My review of Fall Out:

? !

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

So when he asks at the beginning:

Who is Number 1?

And No.2 responds:

You… are No.6

Was No.2 giving him the answer the whole time? I’m inclined to believe the whole thing was in his head!

Side note: My Hubby’s been singing Dry Bones and All you need is Love for 2 days, so now I know he snuck out my final DVD while I was working. He reads the last page of books first, too. ARGH!

14071;D

Logan: My place of employment is “hiring”, but they will only “hire” people who have been here before and escaped. I kid you not. My boss is gone this week, so I’ve been calling my interim boss the new No.2. They all think I’m crazy, there, anyway, so they don’t bat an eye about it.

I think I’m going to sew white trim on my black jacket.

Office Space and Brazil are nothin’. You should have heard the Fahrenheit 451 rant I went on once when they confiscated my lunch bag for having a book in it!

Stormsweeper: It wasn’t just the camera angles, but the angles coupled with something in the way No.6 was tilting his head and smirking that made me think John Criton. I stopped watching avidly after about season 2, though, so I dunno if they’re still doing that type of thing when people are messing with his head on Farscape.

Then again, No. 6 reminds me more of Hamlet than any other character in entertainment. It was only that small bit that felt like Farscape.

Fatguy
    Participant

Re Pet: I guess I should tell you that Number Six masturbates a lot (but looks around to make sure no one is looking). Finally (if you have not left us for good – never know when you are going to break that frame…..), please ask your husband why he starts a book from the end and what caused this; I do the same thing, but I don’t recall what started this or why – just curious…..

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

Stormsweeper: I haven’t seen ReBoot; is it a sequel to Das Boot? By the way, as an off-topic aside, I once started writing as Funky-T a Das Booty story which can be found HERE!

I think you’re right to tell Pet that tilted camera angles are overused, but tinted shots can never be overused, right Pet? Orion Slave Girl

MicroMary: You really did make me laugh before, and I do tend to agree; no one escapes from The Village.

Aleck: You’ve very eloquently stated, and elaborated on some points I was trying to make (“We all have prisons (or “Villages”) within ourselves…”). Oh, and as for “the act of his driving off doesn’t mean that he’s destined to be captured again,” I am quite confident that the intent of the scene was to indicate that he will be captured all over again. However, it is the show’s ambiguity that I love. We are all individuals, and so we can interpret it, or not interpret it, any way we choose, or chooose not to. Then again perhaps none of us, or at least very few of us, are true “individuals” and so…. Ah, but then we may disagree which lends support to the idea that we are individuals. Umm, what’s my point, if I have one? When we watch TV, for instance, the makers of the show try to manipulate is, rather like the keepers at the Village tried to manipulate the prisoners (though of course many of the keepers, if not all of them, were also prisoners to some extent), however the makers of the Prisoner were often deliberately ambiguous in a generous effort to try to make us think for ourselves. And, I could go on, but I’m getting very bored with this train of thought. “The media is the message”, and “the media is the massage” and all that. It’s up to you to figure out just what the hell I’m talking about — you draw your own conclusions, or not, whatever.

Pet: I’ve also wondered whether Number 2’s response to “Who is number 1?” was a big clue. However, I’m inclined to think that it was not just all in his own head, but in our own heads too. See my last post. Oh, and when I saw Fall Out last I couldn’t stop singing those songs either.

Fatguy: You took this thread in a rather unusual direction, and one I’d rather not pursue.

Anonymous

You’re kidding about ReBoot, right? It’s Canadian – you guys are supposed to keep tabs on your cultural works, aren;t you?

pet
    Participant

quote:

I think you’re right to tell Pet that tilted camera angles are overused, but tinted shots can never be overused, right Pet? Orion Slave Girl

(The file you linked to is a preliminary shot and no longer there. I fixed the link in the quote. I still like my dark blue and orange shots better than the green. )

And “Fall Out” changed my feelings about “All you Need is Love” in much the same way as Reservoir Dogs got me interested in “Stuck in the Middle with You”.

And let’s not forget “Brazil”….

OT: Also, Logan, have you seen “Free Enterprise” yet? One of the characters is turning 30, so there is quite a bit of Logan’s run in it. And the DVD has a trivia caption option that may amuse you.

14071;D

P.S. And robots listen even less than people do. They are supposed to do what they’re told without question, but they don’t. 790 and the Silicates from S:AAB are perfect fictional examples of what is wrong with robots. (I have been warned I’m going back to my robots on Wednesday. I am not happy. They are even less likely to listen to commands when they’ve had a vacation. In that respect, they aren’t much different from people.)

I would like to read this Butlerian Jihad Dune Prequel sitting next to my computer, but I am afraid with my prejudice against robots I would find the whole thing distasteful.

[ 28-10-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

pet
    Participant

This is about the possible Prisoner Movie. In the dirt, Patrick McGoohan states that he will not be involved if Kevin Costner (!?!) plays No.6. Woo-Hoo! For that I will dance for him:

Gotta fix that hair….

IMDB stated it was a 2002 production, but who knows how old that info is.

Anyway, upon reflection I have decided that No.6 did not exchange one Village for another, “Fall Out” must have been a dream, because in the episode The Computer Wore Menace Shoes, No. 6 (voiced by PM) is still in the Village when Homer arrives in the late 90’s.

Also, in the authorized series of books, No.^’s name is the same as his character from “Secret Agent Man/ Danger Man”; the episode “The Girl Who was Death” was originally written for that series; and George Markstein has stated that the reason the character from SAM resigned was because he had come up with the idea of the Village years earlier, decided it was inhumane, then discovered that his people had gone forward with the project.

(That lends a better angle to the ending, I think, if you were trying to look at it logically, and now I will have to purchase SAM/DM. )

Pet;D

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re: Boot and the Prisoner film

Stormsweeper — re Boot: What, me kid? Sure I may be a little childish at times, but, and I kid you not, I thought that Boot was as German as Lexx is, and even more German than Margot Kidder isn’t!

Pet: Fall Out also changed my feelings about All You Need is Love, whenever I hear it I feel like taking up arms and sticking it to the establishment. Ah, there’s nothing like the love between a man and his gun. I even sing that “I yie, yie ,yie, like you very much, you are too, too, too, too, too…” And, of course “Them Bones” is such a classic.

I haven’t seen Free Enterprise. Now Free Willy, there’s was a classic! “You can’t keep a good Willy down” — truly inspirational stuff! But, frankly, if it’s anything like Logan’s runs, then it must be crappy. To paraphrase Forrest Gump, “You’ve got the runs Logan, the runs!” The runs actually came in handy when I was constructing my Pyramid of Dung! — it was partially inspired by the great pyramid of Montezuma’s Revenge. Oops, were you talking about Logan’s Run? Good film.

As for robots, I love them, especially the inflatable kind: “The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation defines a robot as ‘Your Plastic Pal That’s Fun to be With'” (HitchHiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), well that pretty much describes my official No.6 blow-up doll:

I hope the Hollywood film goes kersplat!

Sorry for that diversion, back to some real Prisoner stuff. As for the film, Hollywood will almost certainly ruin what made the Prisoner special. It mentions here that Hollywood rejected McGoohan’s screenplay because they wanted more of an action movie. The Prisoner was very conceptual, and was at its best when it was exploring the realm of ideas. It was it its worst (and most dated) when the Batman style fight sequences were going on: Kersplat, pow, phwunk!

Watching the Prisoner was an intellectual experience (but then, what do I know about intellect?) It was designed to make us think for ourselves; to assert our our individuality in coming up with our own interpretations.

Ambiguity and subtlety are not very common traits in Hollywood films — if there is a message they’ll hit us over the head with us. In fact, one might argue (not me of course!) that Hollywood is really anti-individualism — they’re keen on genre and convention, rather than experimentation. They’re more industry than art I would even say. And they’ll probably try to answer all of the mysteries of the village so that nothing is left to the imagination.

So my guess is that they’ll make the hero American, it will be primarily an action flick, and they’ll weave in a love interest — GROAN!

I’m glad that Kevin Costner isn’t going to be in it, how would you feel about Stallone or Vin Diesel in the part?

Actually, the only person other than McGoohan I can see as No. 6 is Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson). Now that would be a Prisoner I’d go see!

I’d respond to your other comments now, but they’re very intelligent, and I’m feeling particularly dumb at the moment.

BTW, nice dancing girl!

Anonymous

quote:

Pet: Fall Out also changed my feelings about All You Need is Love, whenever I hear it I feel like taking up arms and sticking it to the establishment. Ah, there’s nothing like the love between a man and his gun. I even sing that “I yie, yie ,yie, like you very much, you are too, too, too, too, too…” And, of course “Them Bones” is such a classic. [/QB]

I know watching The Prisoner again has made me VERY nervous about the comeback of lava lamps. There’s just something eerily familiar about those globs of liquid rising to the top….

quote:

As for robots, I love them, especially the inflatable kind: “The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation defines a robot as ‘Your Plastic Pal That’s Fun to be With'” (HitchHiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), well that pretty much describes my official No.6 blow-up doll:

[/QB]

AHHHHH!! I’ve gone BLIND!!!! I’M BLIND!!!

MM

Anonymous

It should be noted that Sam Markstein and Patrick McGoohan have widldy divergent ideas about the show. You can contrast their interviews on the first site Logan posted in this thread.

pet
    Participant

quote:

….The Prisoner was very conceptual, and was at its best when it was exploring the realm of ideas. It was it its worst (and most dated) when the Batman style fight sequences were going on: Kersplat, pow, phwunk!

At least No.6 kicks more than Jim West, but then again, his pants aren’t so tight.

quote:

So my guess is that they’ll make the hero American, it will be primarily an action flick, and they’ll weave in a love interest — GROAN!

I’m glad that Kevin Costner isn’t going to be in it, how would you feel about Stallone or Vin Diesel in the part?

ARRRGGHHHH!!!

quote:

Actually, the only person other than McGoohan I can see as No. 6 is Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson). Now that would be a Prisoner I’d go see!

OMG! You’re right! They would never get that guy to talk! Can you imagine Mr. Bean vs. Rover? LOL! At least he has more emotional range than Kevin Costner!

I’d like to see Mr. Bean as No. 6, Baldrick as No. 2 and a Blackadder in the coveted No. 1 seat.

Oh, Nice inflatable sheep No.6…. Just as sexy as the dancer, baby! LOL! (Still gotta fix that hair).

Pet;D

P.S. In all the interviews, it looks like Markstein tries to explain himself while McGoohan does not. I find that funny, considering the parts they played.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

pet
    Participant

Oh, here:

Simpsons Prisoner Figurines

Pet;D

Anonymous

I’m going MAD!!! MAD, I tell you!!!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

First, I’m seeing inflatable sheep with Patrick McGoohan’s face.

Next, Number 6 is beginning to look like Homer Simpson, Chief Wiggum is so BIG even Rover can’t eat him, and Bart Simpson is the Silent Butler….. wait…. maybe THAT isn’t such a bad thing….

MM
    “We’re ALL mad here.”

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just a gentle reminder…

“The word… is ‘freedom’. They say ‘six of one and half a dozen of the other’… not here. It’s ‘six for two and two for nothing’ and six for free… for all… for free for all! Vote! Vote!” (No. 6)

No comment wav file

P.S. Thanks to Pet for the heads-up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.