the Romulans on Enterpise?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

i watched ‘Acquisition’ the other night (the Ferengi episode), and thought that they stepped quite nicely around any problems with having them make an appearance on the show. after all, the crew do not know who they are, and assuming this is their only appearance (having them appear again may raise questions about how we really know nothing about them by the time they first show up in ST:TNG) we can explain a lack of knowledge about them by saying that this potentially embarrassing incident was buried deep in the dim dusty vaults of Starfleet history.
    however….Rick Berman has been quoted as saying that he definitely wants the Romulans to make a showing, and he’s trying work this one out. I personally cannot think how he can do it without making a mockery of the Star Trek timeline as we know it. after all, the Romulans are more of a militaristic (is that the word???) race, and we’re more likely to come across them in that context- therefore attempting something similar to the Ferengi story simply won’t work because i would imagine a military confrontation with an alien race would be something Starfleet would find very difficult to forget or even hide. Realing out the old Trek chestnuts of ‘the alien entity made us forget everything’ or ‘oops- we’ve done a slingshot around the sun and travelled in time’ or ‘oops- we’ve had a transporter accident and we’re in a parallel universe’ will, i believe, just make the show look daft and difficult to take seriously. the temporal cold war could offer some possibilities- though as i said, any incident i would have thought would be difficult for Starfleet to bury. what does anyone else think?

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: snooklepie ]

Anonymous

I don’t know the Trek timeline that well, but I do know the Romulan Star Empire was formed when a group of unhappy dissendents became disillusioned with the Vulcan philosophy, and the episode before that seemed to show us those Vulcans.
    They had abandoned logic and chose to embrace their emotions, so maybe these are the same group who settle on Romulus and Remus.
    Which is interesting, as it would know seem to infer that humanity may have been involved with their ideals, remember Trip giving advice to that Vulcan on how he should behave on learning that his father was dying as well as other things.
    The temporal cold war may have something to do with Romulans, but it does seem to suggest that Romulans did not exist at this point, maybe the future Romulans are trying to rid themselves of the Vulcans, as they are embarressed by their heritage.
    Could just be that Enterprise is getting in their way, or that in having to get rid of the Vulcans, they also need to rid themselves of humanity, as humanity played an active part in Ambassador Spock’s actions in reunification of the Vulcan and Romulan people.
    Could be that in the time between the present and Spock’s efforts, reunification has become more plausible, and that there are those who oppose it so strongly that they are willing to travel back in time to destroy any chance of this happening.
    It’s probably to early to make any assumption on exactly who is responsible for the temporal cold war, although I wouldn’t discount the Romulans for the reasons above.
    Squishy

lizard
    Participant

When Captain Kirk originally encounters the Romulans they look almost exacly like Vulcans and no-one has heard of them yet. They could manage to bring them on the show, if somehow it is explained why the info would not be passed on. I hope that they don’t put that hokey TNG makeup on the Romulans in the new series. What is the deal with the forhead fascination!!!!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.