The Sci-Fi Channel UK’s new website

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst The Sci-Fi Channel UK’s new website

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Deliena
    Participant

Oh my God! What a terrible website. It’s all flash, so at a typical modem speed it’s unusable and it only has an EZBoard BB!!

There are no sections on the BB, just an announcement and a general thread.

Content on the site is patchy at best, and most of the boxes on the site don’t scroll properly.

Fellow SadGeezers, don’t take my word for it – have a look for yourself (but don’t expect much)
    http://www.uk.scifi.com

I am SO disappointed.

Deliena

Anonymous

http://www.uk.scifi.com/home.htm

Try that link. If that doesent work then delete your cookies to that particular site and choose the HTML version.

Flash sites kinda suck in general imo. And this site looks like it was done by a 5 year old with some basic html experience. But hey wadda ya expect from Sci-Fi hehe.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    http://www.uk.scifi.com/home.htm

Try that link. If that doesent work then delete your cookies to that particular site and choose the HTML version.

Flash sites kinda suck in general imo. And this site looks like it was done by a 5 year old with some basic html experience. But hey wadda ya expect from Sci-Fi hehe.

i think flash sites when made poorly, can be seriously annoying, but with substantial content and a bit of an original design i think they can be an improvement over html. One of my favourite websites is the scrapheap challenge flash site. It’s a fun site to use (notably the tournament chart with piston action, and the automatic zoom piccies), and the content is totally comprehensive and interesting.

(sorry, this had nothing to do with sci-fi, i was kind of interested though if any sadgeezers were also scrapheap challenge or junkyard wars(usa/canada) fans! i wish the mulewrights won last season, what neat hats!)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Deliena:
    Oh my God! What a terrible website. It’s all flash, so at a typical modem speed it’s unusable and it only has an EZBoard BB!!

http://www.uk.scifi.com

I am SO disappointed.

Deliena

That is a seriously bad site! I can’t understand why they would do something like that. I think no site at all would have been better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anything is better than t hat orange and blue monstrosity.. but I still wonder why they did away with the original funky flash site and the decent wwwthreads forums.

Anonymous

Sort of on the same subject:

Today I get home, to tune into the 2nd part of “A voice in the wilderness” of Babylon5. I’ve never seen the series except season5 so I’ve been catching every ep up until today. The idiot power company (SoCal Edison) was doing some work for a few hours cutting straight through 5-6pm when B5 was on.

Anyways to the point. I was looking through the Ep guide on another site reading about this episode and said to myself:

“Hey Sci-Fi USA has an entire Lexx episode section with video clips and all from every episode even the movie! Seeing how B5 is a big deal for them they must have a HUGE section on it.”

So here I go …type in scifi.com/b5

Takes me to a nice little GIF with a sidebar claiming

A Word from JMS
    Characters
    Episode Guide
    Movies

Wow! I thought, then clicked on each link. The Character guide only lists 8 characters and just their names and the person who plays them.

Their episode guide is even worse.

You click on the link and get half a GIF with the words Season 1.

Click on that and they have a 4 paragraph synopsis of the Beginning and nothing else.

Grrrr.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Their episode guide is even worse.

You click on the link and get half a GIF with the words Season 1.

Click on that and they have a 4 paragraph synopsis of the Beginning and nothing else.
    Grrrr.

When the site first came out, they were going to update the episode guide after each episode aired the first tiem it ran on scifi. They did this for the first two days, then they stopped. Why I don’t know. Maybe they thought the site wasn’t getting enough hits to make it worthwhile, or maybe the reviews are there, but the time delay is messed up. scifi.com does this wit all their primes shows; lexx, farscape, first wave etc.

Yes the uk.scifi.com site does indeed suck. Not only is the design and ease of use terrible, but the site covers very little of the shows it airs. All of the lexx pages are gone, as well most other shows they air. The only have a few pages for a few of tehir shows.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bugblatterbeast:

think flash sites when made poorly, can be seriously annoying, but with substantial content and a bit of an original design i think they can be an improvement over html.

Skip on over to Conclave Obscurum[/url] to enjoy a wonderfully designed and orginal flash site.

quote:

(sorry, this had nothing to do with sci-fi, i was kind of interested though if any sadgeezers were also scrapheap challenge or junkyard wars(usa/canada) fans! i wish the mulewrights won last season, what neat hats!)

Yup, I like Junkyard Wars, and yeah I would have liked to have seen the mules win.

antizero

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by antizero:

Skip on over to Conclave Obscurum to enjoy a wonderfully designed and orginal flash site.

i agree, not sure what all of the latin and german translates to, but it’s fun to use and i think it must be one the most original website designs i’ve seen.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I love Scrapheap Challenge

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Cat ]

Anonymous
    Inactive
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.