The series, better than the books?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I think the series was much funnier than the books. There was just something about seeing it all on screen that got the joke across.

-SM

Anonymous

Once again, you must be joking. I can’t fathom how anyone could think that. there were so many witty, subtle nuances that were totally lost in the series. Granted, I liked the sequence of events more in the series (despite the nerdy rantings of my brother screaming how they got it all wrong)But SO much of the wit and irony was lost. Take ,for example, the portrayal of Zaphod. They made him act like a witless jerk, whereas in the book he was an intelligent jerk only acting like a witless one. ……………….okay, I’m off the soapbox now LOL.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the Radio series is genereally regarded as the best, followed by the books and then the TV series (I think there have been some theatrical variations that have been well received too)

Can’t really comment on the Radio series as I’ve still not heard it! Fot it on LP but haven’t a decent player and don’t want to ruin it on my old one which may not still work anyway.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    I think the Radio series is genereally regarded as the best, followed by the books and then the TV series (I think there have been some theatrical variations that have been well received too)

Can’t really comment on the Radio series as I’ve still not heard it! Fot it on LP but haven’t a decent player and don’t want to ruin it on my old one which may not still work anyway.

i havent seen the tv series but dna has said in interviews that the radio series is his favourite incarnation of hitchhiker’s.

i highly recommend hearing the radio series though. I’ve heard it over 50 times and im still very happy to hear it again.

Anonymous

I have been off line for quite a while and have forgotten some of the joys of it all… Like getting kicked off line in the middle of a good story….Long story short the radio plays are the best and you can get them on tape in any book store in the USA, or on line somewhere for sure. 42 rules

Anonymous

I agree with Nirvanah (for once!) that the books are better than the series. The series didn’t go into enough detail with some things, and I didn’t think Marvin was quite right. However, I did like the fact that having a TV series meant that you could put a voice and a face to the characters…

Anonymous

So true, Yvonne, so true. There were other things about the series too, that bugged me. Like the depiction of Trillian. In the book, she was pretty, but in a dignified ,intelligent way. She had long black hair and dark features (the HHGTTG says she looked vaguely arabic). To me, having Sandra Dickenson bleached blonde and wrapped in red cellophane was taking something away from the caracter. Plus Ford was perfect, but didn’t act nearly mad enough

Anonymous

There aren’t many people in the world who CAN act mad enough (although I know a few…)

Anonymous

Yvonne, while we’re on this subject, how about Chris Barrie as Zaphod? God knows he’s got enought bravado LOL

Anonymous

HMMMMM…. Rimmer’s head on Zaphod’s body? Imagine what Chris Barrie could do with three arms…

Anonymous

LOL Tell me about it. He could wear his Gary Prince haircut

Anonymous

Ook ook, Monkey on line!
    Chris as Zaphod, I dont think so! Arther Dent, yeah but not Zaphad. I admit he (Chris) has a great body, and I’d oil it up if I found him bound but as we all know 2 Rimmers are immposable to take( ok for most of us but maybe not for you Yvonne)
    I have seen Jim Carry mentioned as Zaphod, I cant stand him but can see it. You got to love to hate Zaphod.
    See you around!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.