The Sum Of Its Parts

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Andromeda is finally back on in the UK!
    For some reason this episode isn’t even listed in Sad’s episode list (the rest of the remaining episodes from the first season are listed, without reviews obviously, but not this one)
    http://www.slipstreamweb.com/episodes/season1/the_sum_of_its_parts.shtml

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited August 25, 2001).]

Anonymous

Probably because it’s so God-awful he prefered to forget about it. Yuk

Anonymous

Probably because it’s so God-awful he prefered to forget about it. Yuk

Anonymous

Oh come on. It wasn’t THAT bad.

Anonymous

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Pantera:

Yes it was, first the terrible borg rip-off, then the silly premise of this drone finding humanity and dying within the first 20 minutes, and then expecting us to feel sorry for it.
    Sorry, but the writing in this programme sucks and it’s got progressively worse, I was hoping for better things for Andromeda, but it’s writers are terrible, and while their there they are making monkeys out of good actors like Kevin Sorbo and Lexa Doig.
    I really hope that when the next season starts that they have improved it, coz it is a shame that one of Gene Roddenberry’s creations is this bad.
    The idea, the CGI graphics, the characters are all good, but they have been let down by silly and badly written storylines.
    Squishy

——————
    Annoyed Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Pantera:

Yes it was, first the terrible borg rip-off, then the silly premise of this drone finding humanity and dying within the first 20 minutes, and then expecting us to feel sorry for it.
    Sorry, but the writing in this programme sucks and it’s got progressively worse, I was hoping for better things for Andromeda, but it’s writers are terrible, and while their there they are making monkeys out of good actors like Kevin Sorbo and Lexa Doig.
    I really hope that when the next season starts that they have improved it, coz it is a shame that one of Gene Roddenberry’s creations is this bad.
    The idea, the CGI graphics, the characters are all good, but they have been let down by silly and badly written storylines.
    Squishy

——————
    Annoyed Squishy

Anonymous

Well I was about to agreee that the writing was getting pretty bad, but I just saw Fear & Loathing and it was great.

I stand by my flames about the other one though. Total cack.

Anonymous

Well I was about to agreee that the writing was getting pretty bad, but I just saw Fear & Loathing and it was great.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by maryavatar:

Well ain’t that typical, somebody (by the sounds of it) has finally written a good episode…’well bugger me with a fish fork and call me sally’, I didn’t think it possible, and I missed it (well not really, couldn’t be bothered to watch it, because of all the previous disasters!!!).
    Did somebody wise up and realise just how bad the writers were and had the sense to sack’em, or has one of the writers been getting lessons???
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by maryavatar:

Well ain’t that typical, somebody (by the sounds of it) has finally written a good episode…’well bugger me with a fish fork and call me sally’, I didn’t think it possible, and I missed it (well not really, couldn’t be bothered to watch it, because of all the previous disasters!!!).
    Did somebody wise up and realise just how bad the writers were and had the sense to sack’em, or has one of the writers been getting lessons???
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous
    Inactive

I missed last Monday’s (UK) episode – I was on holiday and forgot to set a tape (no cable or satellite on the beach house)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I missed last Monday’s (UK) episode – I was on holiday and forgot to set a tape (no cable or satellite on the beach house)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:

That’s a shame Cat. Iff you email me your address, I’ll copy you a tape. It was a pretty good episode.

And the rest of you are far too hard on Andromeda. The whole seies, concept and characters are pretty new. LOTS of stuff – real cool stuff- is gonna happen with this show (just like Farscape… and Red Dwarf… and …. erm… Not LEXX )

Anonymous

quote:

That’s a shame Cat. Iff you email me your address, I’ll copy you a tape. It was a pretty good episode.

And the rest of you are far too hard on Andromeda. The whole seies, concept and characters are pretty new. LOTS of stuff – real cool stuff- is gonna happen with this show (just like Farscape… and Red Dwarf… and …. erm… Not LEXX )

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

I disagree Sad, it’s got too take it’s knocks otherwise it won’t mature into a good programme, you look back at the first few season of ST:TNG, they like Andromeda were looking amateurish and badly written, then it improved (it had too, it had so much riding on it).
    Andromeda has the promise to become good and there have been glimpses of it through the season, but you just cannot excuse the bad writing and storylines.
    It has been bad in parts, but it’s the quality of the cast that makes you keep faith in it (and the hot chicks (apart from that Beka)), Kevin Sorbo is an actor I’ve always liked and I like Lexa Doig (for obvious reasons).
    But if it doesn’t buck up it’s ideas and soon, then there will be something to take it’s place in time, which would be a shame.
    All it needs is quality writers who can produce compelling stories and then it will be awesome, at the moment the stories just seem haphazard and have no direction, and most are really boring.
    I hope it does improve, I like Andromeda, and I hope it get’s better, but like everyone else I will change channels without hesitation if they produce anymore bad ones, good Sci-Fi is when you stay on the same channel even during the adverts and you watch the credits, not quite there with Andromeda.
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

I disagree Sad, it’s got too take it’s knocks otherwise it won’t mature into a good programme, you look back at the first few season of ST:TNG, they like Andromeda were looking amateurish and badly written, then it improved (it had too, it had so much riding on it).
    Andromeda has the promise to become good and there have been glimpses of it through the season, but you just cannot excuse the bad writing and storylines.
    It has been bad in parts, but it’s the quality of the cast that makes you keep faith in it (and the hot chicks (apart from that Beka)), Kevin Sorbo is an actor I’ve always liked and I like Lexa Doig (for obvious reasons).
    But if it doesn’t buck up it’s ideas and soon, then there will be something to take it’s place in time, which would be a shame.
    All it needs is quality writers who can produce compelling stories and then it will be awesome, at the moment the stories just seem haphazard and have no direction, and most are really boring.
    I hope it does improve, I like Andromeda, and I hope it get’s better, but like everyone else I will change channels without hesitation if they produce anymore bad ones, good Sci-Fi is when you stay on the same channel even during the adverts and you watch the credits, not quite there with Andromeda.
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Squishi:

I understand your feelings, but I’m not sure you can make such judgements so early on. I remember watching Babylon 5 because a girl I fancied was into it. It too me ages to appreciate the storyline, most of the shows seemed irrelvant and frustrating. But gradually, I began to understand the backplot and boy did it grip me after that!

If you write a story, a long story which has an arc (even a basic one) there has to be a lot of scene seting and establishment of characters before you can get into the interesting bits of the story.

(WOW, that sounds patronising, sorry… you know what I mean).

The thing is, if you were to have had a show like ‘Into the Fire’ in season One of Bab 5 it would have been interetsing graphics and the characters would have seemed pretencious (well, more pretencious ๐Ÿ™‚

I’d be really interested to hear what you thought of the show after the first series.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Squishi:

I understand your feelings, but I’m not sure you can make such judgements so early on. I remember watching Babylon 5 because a girl I fancied was into it. It too me ages to appreciate the storyline, most of the shows seemed irrelvant and frustrating. But gradually, I began to understand the backplot and boy did it grip me after that!

If you write a story, a long story which has an arc (even a basic one) there has to be a lot of scene seting and establishment of characters before you can get into the interesting bits of the story.

The thing is, if you were to have had a show like ‘Into the Fire’ in season One of Bab 5 it would have been interetsing graphics and the characters would have seemed pretencious (well, more pretencious ๐Ÿ™‚

I’d be really interested to hear what you thought of the show after the first series.

Anonymous
    Inactive

you look back at the first few season of ST:TNG, they like Andromeda were looking amateurish and badly written, then it improved

If you look at the earliest episodes of ST:TNG you can see Theiss-style miniskirts still present, which disapear later on (although Deanna still gets to keep her lust-counselling inspiring garb). I’m still sure I saw some men wearing those miniskirts…

Anonymous
    Inactive

you look back at the first few season of ST:TNG, they like Andromeda were looking amateurish and badly written, then it improved

If you look at the earliest episodes of ST:TNG you can see Theiss-style miniskirts still present, which disapear later on (although Deanna still gets to keep her lust-counselling inspiring garb). I’m still sure I saw some men wearing those miniskirts…

Anonymous

quote:

Well I think were not far off the end, as it’s as if you’re words carried magic, as it is starting to get slightly better.
    You are absolutely right about things taking time in only the first season, the reason I got so critical to begin with, was because (as you probably know) there was a huge break in it (which doesn’t happen often in UK t.v), and I assumed we were watching the 2nd season when it restarted.
    Upon thinking that, I was holding my head in my hands and thinking ‘My god, it’s got worse’, so I was kinda relieved that it was still season one.
    I think it’s very unusual for a Sci-Fi program to find it’s feet to begin with, it seems only a few have mangaged to pull off a first good season.
    But in all the Sci-Fi I have seen in my latter years (I’m only 31 really!!!), Andromeda was the worst (aside from Farscape), but I like to give a program the benefit of the doubt and that philosophy now seems to be paying off.
    The character relations are becoming more tangible, they are hardening and becoming real.
    The only thing I really don’t like about Andromeda, is that is doesn’t come across as unique, you have the feeling it’s been done before, which makes it appear average.
    But to be fair, there are a lot of other’s that can be found gulity of the same crime.
    Like I said before, I hope it get’s better and the 2nd season forces me to eat my words, but for now a lot of the criticism is somewhat justified.
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Well I think were not far off the end, as it’s as if you’re words carried magic, as it is starting to get slightly better.
    You are absolutely right about things taking time in only the first season, the reason I got so critical to begin with, was because (as you probably know) there was a huge break in it (which doesn’t happen often in UK t.v), and I assumed we were watching the 2nd season when it restarted.
    Upon thinking that, I was holding my head in my hands and thinking ‘My god, it’s got worse’, so I was kinda relieved that it was still season one.
    I think it’s very unusual for a Sci-Fi program to find it’s feet to begin with, it seems only a few have mangaged to pull off a first good season.
    But in all the Sci-Fi I have seen in my latter years (I’m only 31 really!!!), Andromeda was the worst (aside from Farscape), but I like to give a program the benefit of the doubt and that philosophy now seems to be paying off.
    The character relations are becoming more tangible, they are hardening and becoming real.
    The only thing I really don’t like about Andromeda, is that is doesn’t come across as unique, you have the feeling it’s been done before, which makes it appear average.
    But to be fair, there are a lot of other’s that can be found gulity of the same crime.
    Like I said before, I hope it get’s better and the 2nd season forces me to eat my words, but for now a lot of the criticism is somewhat justified.
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

It was a different thing for TNG, the storylines were fairly good, the acting and the costumes (Troi’s ridiculous hairstyle) and some obvious cliches, made the first season look pretty bad.
    The opposite is true of Andromeda, the CGI, the acting and the costumes are fine, but a large portion of the storyline has left a lot to be desired.
    Also Star Trek survived it’s first season in my mind for two reasons, the franchise carried a lot of interest anyway (but you had those that were opposed to it, due to their loyalty to Kirk and Spock), and the model and CGI effects were oustanding for the time.
    Andromeda doesn’t have that headstart, the CGI is nothing exceptional, and hasn’t got the weight of a predeccessor behind it.
    But I think that the interest in Kevin Sorbo, and the obvious interest in Lexa Doig, are two strong factors for Andromeda, and that it was Gene Roddenberry creation.
    If it had neither, then I’m inclined to believe that Andromeda would not survive beyond it’s first season. The same is true of Enterprise, a big gamble taking it to a time before the federation, Q and the borg, but it will pay off as Scott Bakula is there and it has the weight of Star Trek holding it up…of course Enterprise is likely to have a blinder of a first season, as Rick Berman is now fully aware of what it takes to produce good Star Trek.

Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

It was a different thing for TNG, the storylines were fairly good, the acting and the costumes (Troi’s ridiculous hairstyle) and some obvious cliches, made the first season look pretty bad.
    The opposite is true of Andromeda, the CGI, the acting and the costumes are fine, but a large portion of the storyline has left a lot to be desired.
    Also Star Trek survived it’s first season in my mind for two reasons, the franchise carried a lot of interest anyway (but you had those that were opposed to it, due to their loyalty to Kirk and Spock), and the model and CGI effects were oustanding for the time.
    Andromeda doesn’t have that headstart, the CGI is nothing exceptional, and hasn’t got the weight of a predeccessor behind it.
    But I think that the interest in Kevin Sorbo, and the obvious interest in Lexa Doig, are two strong factors for Andromeda, and that it was Gene Roddenberry creation.
    If it had neither, then I’m inclined to believe that Andromeda would not survive beyond it’s first season. The same is true of Enterprise, a big gamble taking it to a time before the federation, Q and the borg, but it will pay off as Scott Bakula is there and it has the weight of Star Trek holding it up…of course Enterprise is likely to have a blinder of a first season, as Rick Berman is now fully aware of what it takes to produce good Star Trek.

Squishy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.