They’re starting to design and build Rovers – for real!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums British Sci Fi Series The Prisoner They’re starting to design and build Rovers – for real!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rjames
    Participant

Hi, Im new here. But I remember the first night Jackie Gleeson was replaced by The Prisoner. And wow, was that a trip to watch at 8 years old.

Anyway, the reason I renewed my interest was this article I saw today online.

Robotic ball that chases burglars

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/02/14/wball14.xml

Apparently, the concept of Rover has caught on. Althought not “yet” an organic quasi-life form, it still has the same purpose intended. Give it time. They’re doing wonders with genetics, hybrid life forms and nano-tech. Imagine this thing a few years down the road.

I think these excerpts from the article say it all:

“It is capable of travelling at 20mph, somewhat faster than a human being. Even worse for intruders, the robot ball can still give chase over mud, snow and water.”

“While the current version can only raise the alarm, it could be adapted to corner an intruder if the customer wanted, Mr Hulth added.”

“Patrick Mercer, the Tory MP who is campaigning to give people greater rights to defend their property against burglars, thought the robot ball could have potential: “It would be interesting to see whether the ball had used grossly disproportionate force or whether it would be deemed reasonable.”

Rjames
    Participant

“The finished version of the robot will follow a patrol route using an internal GPS sensor, Hulth says. Wide angle cameras fitted to the sides of the robot should allow it to record and transmit video footage back to a controller. And the next version will also have enough power to propel itself up slopes, he says. Ultimately, the company hopes to make the robot virtually autonomous.”

Headgehog
    Participant

cool artcile! Thanks for posting it.

Rjames
    Participant

I know it’s not a roaring, bouncing 6 foot monster. But I sure wouldn’t want a thigh-high black ball chasing me down the street, over all kinds of terrain at 20 m.p.h. Not that I’m a burglar (lol); but just the technology being there ……… makes you wonder how it would be used in the future.

Jeez ….. what if you were cornered by a dozen of them – and you resisted being cornered? What do you think an authoritarian form of government would program them to do – and give them the capability of doing?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great article, thanks, and welcome to the board.

Orange Alert! Consider me bowled over. This is the most interesting development of what was once a concept in a sci-fi show I’ve heard of in a long time.

“…well-suited to patrolling perimeter fences.” Rover was a formidable perimeter patroller.

A Swedish ball design… somehow that doesn’t surprise me since globe chairs are still sold at IKEA (Finnish Eero Aarnio designed the Euro Chair).

From Robotic Traffic Cones[/url] reminiscent of Daleks, “Exterminate,” to ball sentries, what’s next? A bit frightening.

Being balled to death, what a way to go. I wouldn’t be surprised if some were equipped with explosives in the future.

Rjames
    Participant

The military is planning a version that will extend tripod legs when stopped, for stability; when deploying a weapons array. But it does need more development; and presently I don’t think there’s a U.S. firm involved. But the concept is pretty ominous.

Could you imagine China over-running asia with a million ball-troops?

Headgehog
    Participant

I don’t know. I saw this episode before. It’s from Futurama and called “War is the H word” Giant bouncy balls don’t scare me too much.

The ball shown is only about 2-2.5 ft in height. I can jump that. Or at worst, kick it or lift it up where it can’t harm me. Now if it secretes some kind of tranquilizer or pulls out some other kind of suppression device and/or weapon, then I’ll be a lot wiered out.

Rjames
    Participant

We’ll just have to add an untrasonic stun device. “We have the technology.”

I’ll have to see if I can find the link again that described the military’s concept.

Eventually it will get to the nanotech/biotech hybrid model:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4181197.stm

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Headgehog wrote:

Giant bouncy balls don’t scare me too much.

No? Then watch THIS (click) if you dare.

Another fascinating article, Rjames. Thanks. So bio-mech Rovers are a real possibility.

Y’ know, I think “they” may be covertly deploying the new Rovers in strategic locations. I was out playing some 9-pin the other day, and was practically attacked by a bowling ball! I had a firm grip on it, yet it “slipped” (sure…) from my fingers as if by its own volition. Nearly crushed my toes.

Incidentally, we had a little Rover discussion you might be interested in having a look at HERE (click)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.