Top 10 Cult Sci Fi Movies of all time

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Top 10 Cult Sci Fi Movies of all time

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Ok, ok, you thought the Guardian one needed some work, how about we come up with a list of recommended cult classics. I’d love this to be a list of films that people like us could recommend to each other. For instance, Flamegrape recommended American Astronaut to me a few weeks ago and as you’ll see, it’s in my top ten list.

Lots of others you will prolly dissagree with. That’s ok, just recommend something else. The only rule is that it CAN’T be a mainstream film (eg. A Clockwork Orange and 12 Monkeys can NOT be in the list, but Rocky Horror Picture Show and Dark Star CAN be). Feel free to dissagree.

I may split this up into two (Cult Sci Fi films top 10 and Top 10 Recommendations), what do you think?

Anyway, here goes:

Kin Dza Dza (Russia, 1986)
    Dark Star (USA 1974)
    Stalker (Russia, 1979)
    The Man Who Fell to Earth (USA, 1976)
    American Astronaut (USA, 2000)
    Man in the White Suit (UK, 1952)
    Brazil (USA, 1985)
    Dr Strangelove (UK, 1964)
    Solyaris (Russia, 1972)
    Eraserhead (USA, 1977)

Yep, lot’s of dissagreement I’ll bet!

I’d love to mention a whole load of Polish Sci Fi films and a couple of Chezk films but I can’t remember the titles (maybe you could tell me what they might be?

Anyway, that’s my list (as it appears today – changes weekly ๐Ÿ™‚ )

What film would you like to see here?

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Atom Age Vampire, The Brain from Planet Arous & The Crawling Eye! Three of my best. They’re so bad, they’re awesome!

Also, was thinking about the ‘invaders from mars’. That should get a mention.

What would you say to Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and the Return of the Killer Tomatoes? I don’t think they should get a mention as they are ‘spoofs’.

I have to give a shout out to my greatest movie of all time… Creature from Black Lagoon. Such a cult in my books it’s almost a religious experience for me everytime I watch it (Which is pretty ogten).

Had another thought as well : Flash Gordon? Any takers?

Anonymous

Uhuh, but cult doesn’t need to be bad does it?

What about a really cool film that was say, low budget, only likeable by the ‘arty farty film set’ or a foreign film that is very bloody brilliant but didn’t get into the English speaking markets?

alnexi
    Participant

OMG, Creature from Black Lagoon !!! I haven’t seen it in years. Do I dare confess I repeatedly watch THe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I think I am the only living fan of that movie.
    However, the best cult movie EVER: I Worship His Shadow. There is nothing in either universe that would beat that.
    Other cult favorites:
    Kindzadza
    Mars Attacks
    The Man Who Fell To Earth (that film didn’t age well but deserves a honorable mention because of David Bowie’s luminous presence)
    Also, once upon a time, there was a great Czech director, who made beautiful movies (visually striking, that is) as I think Cesare mentioned in another threat. Here is a link to some pictures from a favorite of mine – Journey to the begining of Time (somewhere in the middle of the page):

bijou reviews – JK

someoldguy
    Participant

“A Boy And His Dog” Don Johnson before anyone knew who the heck he was. It was probably better that way. Ended with a great punchline. My girl friend didn’t speak to me for two days, because I laughed.

“Slaughterhouse Five” a truely weird and fascinating flick.

Anonymous

Some great suggestions!

I forgot one. Fantastic Planet (1973)

Anonymous
    someoldguy wrote:

”Slaughterhouse Five” a truely weird and fascinating flick.

Yes, I’ve heard of that before but never seen it. I guess I’ll have to check it out. (We have a forum for sci fi ish jokes called laughterhouse 5, I guess that’s where the name comes from).

alnexi wrote:

… I think I am the only living fan of that movie.
    However, the best cult movie EVER: I Worship His Shadow. There is nothing in either universe that would beat that.

I think you’re right! I can’t believe I left that one out!

Berzerker
    Participant

I know that some of these might not actually fall exatcly in the Sci-Fi cult film area, but they’re pretty close to the genre.

1. Serenity
    2. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    3. Dawn of the Dead
    4. Evil Dead

And for the hell of it, Snakes on a Plane.

alnexi
    Participant

I forgot –
    Hackers, of course!
    Starship Troopers. (That boy, those bugs, those uniforms…!)

Anonymous
    Berzerker wrote:

I know that some of these might not actually fall exatcly in the Sci-Fi cult film area, but they’re pretty close to the genre.

1. Serenity
    3. Dawn of the Dead
    4. Evil Dead

Great choices, especially Serenity. Hmmm. Makes you wonder if a Cult Sci Fi film is cult because it failed at the box office?!

Berzerker wrote:

Haha. I guess someone had to suggest it ๐Ÿ™‚

Berzerker
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

Berzerker wrote:

1. Serenity
    3. Dawn of the Dead
    4. Evil Dead

Great choices, especially Serenity. Hmmm. Makes you wonder if a Cult Sci Fi film is cult because it failed at the box office?!

Berzerker wrote:

Haha. I guess someone had to suggest it :)[/quote]

Well not every cult film was a flop (does the smegfest Napoleon Dynamite ring a bell?), it just seems to be common that a cult film is just somethign that did poorly in theaters. By all means Star Wars, Star Trek, or any comic book movie would be a cult film, but the problem with those are that they already became such a huge part of our culture that we don’t think of them in that way. But yeah Serenity failed at the box office but broke even with DVD sales.

And of course I had to suggest Snakes On A Plane. I mean it’s Snakes…on a plane. That movie has forever changed my life.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

To add to the aforementioned films I would like:
    1) The Hidden (1987)
    2) Galaxina (some of my favorite one liners are in here)
    3) The Abyss (is this a cult movie?)
    4) Aeon Flux (Cult classic of the future)

to be thrown into the mix.

There are so many other but my brain is mush tonight.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

Oh bugger, I forgot Tank Girl (so bad, it’s good).

Told you my brain was mush.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Woah! I agree with The Abyss and Aeon Flux. They both get my vote.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

๐Ÿ’ก The (very) old grey cells are finally kicking in. What about Repo Man? I saw this movie in 1985 and managed to get a copy last week. The dialog is classic:
    “What did this? Gas, napalm?”
    “It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes”

“You ever feel as if your mind had started to erode?”

“Good evening, Otto. This is Agent Rogersz. I’m going to ask you a few questions. Since time is short and you may lie, I’m going to have to torture you. But I want you to know, it isn’t personal.”

“Duke, let’s go do some crimes.”
    “Yeah. Let’s go get sushi and not pay.”

I love the deliberate lack of product placement: cans with “Drink” or “Beer” on them and Otto eating out of a can labelled “Food”.

I could go on but that would be obsessive.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

Hanger 18, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, The Invisible Man (1939), The Toxic Avenger, Nine Million Years to Earth (Quartermain Chronicles)

Nick -Z.
    Participant

Correction: Quartermain should be Quartermass

mandara k
    Participant

I actually was at my fav resale shop and got Brazil for 3 bucks and I’m loving it.

It has suicide resistance bombers too.

Timing…. it’s everything!

And it’s helping with my fiction and its dark humor I love.

Saddy board rules, ’cause i wouldn’t have picked it up without the

scifi choice section on the left hand side of the board!

Thanks to whoever put Brazil on, it’s very enjoyable!

hishadow
    Participant

Cyborg 3: The Recycler – bring your cult for a laugh.
    Cherry 2000 – bring your other cult for a laugh.
    Pixote – bring your cult and cry.
    Crumb / American Splendor – america is the perfect place for a cult.
    Freaks – can be a cult too.

Thanks for all the movie tips posted.

theFrey
    Participant

10 – Logan’s Run – Didn’t age well, but pretty interesting in it’s day. Besides, years later I moved near the water feature that was at the end of the movies. I have been back several times and have pictures of theNeices arranged down it’s sides ๐Ÿ˜€

9- Blade Runner – While not a film to totally gladden a Phillip Dick fan, It looked, like I imagined it from the book “Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep”

8- Highlander – Had to love Sean Connery in this film. Also the money shot at the end in the warehouse.

7 – The 5th Element – You couldn’t make Bruce Willis under act if you held a gun to his head. Still it had lots of fun stuff and cool visuals. I loved Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg (Gary Oldman) he was so in touch with his evil side. ๐Ÿ˜€

6 – Matrix – While the sequels went a bit over board in certain areas, the first movie was perfect with story, look and CGI.

5 – Demolition Man – Loved Bullock and Dennis Leary in this. ๐Ÿ˜€

4 – Dune (1984 Movie) – This had Frank Herbert’s seal of approval. It also had Sting in shiny blue wing undies, but I didn’t hold that against it. My only b*tch with the casting is that Jessica was not as beautiful as I though she should be. Other than that, I thought the casting was pretty spot on.

3 – Gattaca – Loved the look and the feel of the movie. And the whole genetics gone bad thing was very timely when it was first shown.

2 – Stargate – Another one with a killer look and an interesting premise. Still like re-watching it. The fist time I ever saw James Spader and didn’t want to throw something at the screen.

1 – Star Wars – The Original. (Luke, Hans, Leia, what was not to like? Spawned a major freaking franchise and totally blew me away. The only time I have ever been in a theater where the audience stood up and clapped when it was finished.

samchn07
    Participant

I like sci fi movies. I have watched many sci fi movies. Some movies are:

Transformers1,2,3

Thron

spy kids

Iron man

Tht1Gy
    Participant

About Kin Dza-Dza: I just saw this movie last night and today I txted with a co-worker who was a citizen of USSR at the time it came out.  And to quote him "… It was ad…" In other words, state propaganda. I don’t see it but that’s what he said. Thought folks might be interested in that info.

Tht1Gy
    Participant

What about "Forbidden Planet"? A movie idea so cool even Hollywood couldn’t futz it up. It wasn’t ‘cult’ when released but I think it got there. I also think that it has held up over time. … and that ‘theramin’ music! Too cool!

Oh, and I just finshed Kin Dza Dza, odd flick. Worth the time spent, yes. But ODD!!!

Starman41
    Participant

Quiet Earth is missing.  Might be worth adding to your list.  Great flick!

Starman41
    Participant

Quiet Earth is missing.  Might be worth adding to your list.  Great flick!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.