Trilithium

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

ok kids, i know some of you know quite a bit about physics, so….how would trilithium, if it existed, actually work? if you remember, trilithium is the ‘compound’ which Dr Soran used in Generations, to destroy the Veridian sun in order to redirect the Nexus ribbon. trilithium apparently is a nuclear inhibitor, capable of stopping all nuclear reactions within a star. he only used a small missile, so one can assume the quantity of trilithim he used was small also. i’m assuming the answer to this lies within the realms of quantum physics- but i only briefly touched on the quantum physical processes within stellar bodies in my physics course last year and thus only have a sketchy idea as to how it all works. i’ve become quite intrigued by this subject, and see the puzzle of solving just how trilithium would work as a ‘fun’ way of getting deeper into the processes involved. it doesn’t matter if it is actually impossible that such a compound could exist and cause such devastating effects, i’m interested in ‘what if….’s. does anyone have any ideas?? 🙂

Anonymous

Kind of getting off topic on trilithium but by the movie did everyone forget the TNG episode “Starship Mine” in which some bad people were attempting to extract some trilithium resin from the Warp Core. And Picard described trilithium as a toxic by product of their warp core. Is it possible that those people were getting the resin for Dr. Soran?

Oh yeah and as for useing it to hault all nuclear activity with in a star wasn’t that a device invented in the far future by an alien scientist “Captains Holiday”

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t even fathom the pseudo-scientific principles behind nuclear receptors, let alone nuclear inhibitors… 😆

My wife’s the scientist (though a bio-chem engineer, not a physicist)… However, I guess it’s somehow altering the elements (creating new compounds — changing the properties — quantum physics) — the nuclear range varies with different elements – thereby eventually stopping the nuclear reactions (for instance stabilizing them, or somehow absorbing or transforming the energy of the protons/neutrons etc, (or radiation, for instance). I’d look to the laws of thermo-dynamics… If trilithium affects the intermolecular effects within the star’s gasses, then it may be affecting the translational kinetic energy of the molecules. Changing the speed of the protons, for instance, should halt or hasten the nuclear reactions (which is the interaction between radiation and matter).

I would expect that trilithium is a true theoretical possibility (weightier than a base hypothesis)… But without being able to actually test a fictitious compound…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ”Slopmaster” wrote:

Kind of getting off topic on trilithium but by the movie did everyone forget the TNG episode “Starship Mine” in which some bad people were attempting to extract some trilithium resin from the Warp Core. And Picard described trilithium as a toxic by product of their warp core.

That always bugged me… also the name Trilithium came up first in one of the Orignal Series books as an improved form of dilithium.
    Tetryon particles seem the morph from something dangerous that can’t exist in our universe (iirc in ST:TNG) to someone used way too often in Voyager.

Oh yeah and as for useing it to hault all nuclear activity with in a star wasn’t that a device invented in the far future by an alien scientist “Captains Holiday”

I can’t remember what it was supposed to do, but it was called the Toks Utat (haven’t a clue how to spell it sorry..)
    – a story mainly memorable because it’s one of the few times Picard got a love interest outside of Lwaxana and Beverly (and of course the book Masks)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.