Videoflicks.com — Boo!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Videoflicks.com — Boo!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sgtdraino
    Participant

Hey gang. Just felt the need to rant a bit about my experiences with this company, and to see if any of you have had similar experiences.

I first heard about this company (I think) in a #Sadgeezer chat. I was looking for a place where I could order the two Season 1 movies I don’t have yet. Somebody mentioned Videoflicks.com. When I checked them out, I saw their prices on all the Lexx DVDs seemed to be the cheapest. Plus, you get a free Lexx mousepad with every DVD! So, on April 11, I went ahead and placed an order for two: S3V1, and S2V4.

The first problem I ran into, is that Videoflicks does not have a real person you can call and place your order with. You must either transmit your credit card info over the internet (which I am loathe to do), or call and leave it on their answering machine. I chose the latter. I promptly received an email confirmation the next day, but also got the following message about S3V1:

quote:

4/12/02 6:20:00 PM-Our apologies for the delay with this title – we have been
    talking with the studio that produces it, and they now say that the release date
    is supposed to be May 21 instead of March 26. We will keep you informed if we
    hear any further news. If you have already cancelled your order please disregard
    this message.

Since this DVD was already available on Amazon, and I had no desire to wait a month and a half just to save a couple of bucks, I canceled this DVD and ordered it with Amazon. But I kept my S2V4 order with Videoflicks. I wanted a mousepad! And then I waited. And waited. After a week had passed, and seeing my order had not been updated any, I emailed Videoflicks and requested an update. And waited. Finally, I got the following response about S2V4:

quote:

4/30/02 8:08:00 PM-Hello, We have been in contact with the supplier for this
    title and they tell us it is still on backorder. We anticipate delivery of this
    movie shortly. Our close ties with many suppliers assure the quickest possible
    processing of your order. We will update you again when your order is ready to
    ship. Thank you for your continued patience..

Now, even though it says “still on backorder,” this was the first time they’d said anything to me about it. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed. But I still wanted a mousepad, and I still needed two Season 1 DVDs, which aren’t available on Amazon. So, on May 2, I canceled S2V4, but placed a new order for Super Nova and Eating Pattern. Once again, I waited a week, and my order wasn’t updated. So, I emailed them requesting one. Finally got a response on May 10 about Super Nova:

quote:

5/10/02 9:33:00 PM-Hello, We have been in contact with the supplier for this
    title and they tell us it is still on backorder. We anticipate delivery of this
    movie shortly. Our close ties with many suppliers assure the quickest possible
    processing of your order. We will update you again when your order is ready to
    ship. Thank you for your continued patience..

Sounds familiar, eh? And this was just an update on Super Nova. They didn’t say anything about Eating Pattern. I still wanted a mousepad, so I decided to give them a little more time. I waited. And waited. Finally, I got a message from them on May 22:

quote:

Movie: Tales From a Parallel Universe: Eating Pattern
    Format: DVD – NO REGION CODE + FREE MOUSE PAD
    5/22/02 11:06:00 AM-22-May-02 11:05 am – This title was shipped today by Economy
    Service.

Hurray! Videoflicks finally came through! Well, not quite. The package finally arrived on May 29, and I could tell just by looking at the box that it was too small. I opened it up, and sure enough, although Eating Pattern was there, NO LEXX MOUSEPAD. So, I sent them an email:

quote:

Dear Videoflicks,

I received my DVD today, but was disappointed to see the free mouse pad was not in the package. Could you please send it/them with the other DVD on backorder? Thanks. Also, any word yet on when that backorder will be filled?

And I received a prompt reply from Videoflicks the very same day:

quote:

Movie: Tales From a Parallel Universe: Supernova
    Format: DVD No Region Code + FREE MOUSE PAD
    5/29/02 3:46:00 PM-This title is still on bckorder at this time. We will update
    your order status as soon as there are any further changes. Thank you for your
    patience.

That’s it. No mention of my missing mousepad. They did manage to misspell “backorder,” though. Now, it does say “FREE MOUSE PAD” up there next to “Format,” but then so did the Eating Pattern update.

Now, just by going over this process again, I think I already know the answer to this question. But I’m curious to hear what you guys think.

What do you think I should do?

[ 30-05-2002: Message edited by: sgtdraino ]

Anonymous

Cancel your order and place a new one at Amazon.co.uk. The region two discs are better than the American ones anyway.

But do you think that waiting a couple of weeks is bad? I had an order at Sazuma.com once where it took nine months for them to ship by which time I’d already seen the movies I oredered anyway. They wouldn’t cancel my order or even reply to my e-mails. Worst company on the net. Easily.

sgtdraino
    Participant

Eh, wouldn’t that be the wrong region to use in my player?

Wouldn’t that even be in the wrong video format for my TV?

I reckon I’ll just get the remaining season 1 movie off ebay, or another Canadian dealer.

btw, what makes you think the UK DVDs are better? Just curious.

Anonymous

i needed the four movies on dvd (i had them on vhs) so i ordered them from videoflicks.com (only place that had the 4 movies on dvd for an american buyer). they sent updates on status every two weeks or so, then sent them, including the mouse pad, which i didn’t know they were doing, two months later. later i ordered a couple of other dvd’s from them, the rest from amazon. but not because of bad service-cost. they actually sent the dvds in 3 days. the difference? i did my ordering 4 months before you did. so, i’d say that videoflicks IS having supply problems….i wonder why.

Anonymous

Well I suppose im glad I bought S3 Vol1&2 from Amazon. Chose the 2 day air for delivery. Yet they use UPS to deliver, which insists on a signature on every damm delivery! I moved to a new place, its a big house, but divided into apartments. Top, middle and lower floors. Everyone room in the house is seperated, so if you knock on the front door to the house, the student resitent obviously wont answer it. So I checked my Order Tracking and it says they came by and I wasnt there (which i was, just that my room isnt near the front door).

So now I had to install a remote controll doorbell with a sign saying Apartment #2.

I used to order from 800.com all the time, and they just used United States Postal Service, which didnt require signatures on each delivery. But 800.com is dead, another dot bomb gone tits up.

The 2 day air basically became 4 day air, and now its reaching 7 days.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Evil_Lister:

Well I suppose im glad I bought S3 Vol1&2 from Amazon. Chose the 2 day air for delivery. Yet they use UPS to deliver, which insists on a signature on every damm delivery!

Your UPS guy can give you a form to sign that says you waive the signature requirement on deliveries, and they leave the package by the door. That’s what I finally did. Course I don’t know what your house is like and if it’s OK to leave packages in the hallway.

elmey

Anonymous

Yeah sorry Sgtdraino that didn’t occur to me. Where I live pretty much every player is multi region and all tv’s are PAL and NTSC so I forgot that its not the same deal in America.

Basically the main reason I prefer the region 2 discs are the design and the menus. The region 1 discs have that “As you command Stan” sequence every single time you push a button. Annoys the hell out of me. While the Region 2s are just nice simple menus with the Yo Wah Oh music behind them. The packaging is a heap better. And instead of interviews some of the region 2 discs have commentaries.

Anonymous

Sarge, from my view, it is pointless to order any S2,3 or 4(keeping my fingers crossed!) DVDs either on-line or through the mail.

I’ve gotten my DVD’s for the TV series from Borders at their local Brick-and-Mortar store and said the heck with the shipping charges and waiting breathlessly for my Lexx DVDs. It just makes more sense to me to go there and actually buy them. Borders offers a fair price (well for me anyway!~ I’m out in Hawaii! So $16.99 on-line + 6.95s/h =a few pennies saved!) and there’s no chance that they’ll screw your order up.

But the Big Four movie DVDs are a different animal. It seems that if you want them on DVD, you’ll have to go through a Canadian Website to get them. In my case, I got the first two from A&B Sound and they were very fast with the delivery. I do have a choice about VHS or DVD for the remaining two as Gigashadow and Eating Pattern are gettable on VHS here in the U.S. but I want to keep it all DVD.

I hope that they send you the mouse pad…it’s the least they can do for messing things up!
    As for region 1, 2, etc….there are DVD players out there that are “region-blind”, meaning they will play the DVD regardless of coding. They are expensive but you can do a search on them (this one you’ll have to order from the i-net!) to find a supplier or distributor. Most dealers have a FAQ regarding legalities as well.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cavey:
    The region 1 discs have that “As you command Stan” sequence every single time you push a button. Annoys the hell out of me.

That’s only on the first DVD of Season 2 eps.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Sgt. draino, Amazon.com (US) is offering the movies on DVD now for special order.

I have to order all my stuff online because the area I live in cares not that much for LEXX. I use Amazon.com. They have been very reliable for me and have 24 hour customer service over the phone if you can find the phone number.

Aleck did do a better job on the later DVDs.

Anonymous

sgtdraino don’t feel bad i dident see your post if i did i wouldent have orderd the season 1 box set from videoflicks
    on may 25 they finaly decided to tell me it was on backorder i told my self im giving them a month if not im canceling it

what realy makes me mad is the fact is that their web site still says “Available to Order” well thats crap its not its on back order

anyone know anyother good place to get season1 of lexx on dvd ???

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, Hawaii Kai. You can also pick up Lexx DVDs at Suncoast Video or Sam Goody (they are the same company, and can both be found in Windward Mall in Kaneohe). The DVDs and videos are $20, and they usually have them in stock. They sent me a card telling me when season 3 was going to come out, which I appreciated. No mousepad, but no shipping charges, either. BTW, VideoFlicks forgot to send me my mousepad, too. They sent it separately when I e-mailed them for it. I think I’ll be getting my DVDs from Suncoast from now on.

sgtdraino
    Participant

Update!

Against my own better judgement (mainly ’cause I just didn’t get around to it) I hadn’t canceled my order with Videoflicks, before I got an update from them that my DVD was now in stock.

BUT…

They said my credit card was coming back as in error or invalid, and wanted me to contact them. I telephoned, and (as always) got The Machine (as you do). So I left a message for them to call me back.

To my surprise, a lady returned my call later that day. I gave her my credit card information again, and she informed me that the info was identical to what they already had. So, she ran it again, and surprise surprise, it went through with no problems.

AND yesterday, Super Nova FINALLY arrived!

AND it had a Lexx mousepad with it!

BUT…

They didn’t include a second Lexx mousepad, which they shorted me out of with Eating Pattern. Not a huge deal, but still irritating. I was going to give the extra to my buddy, who is also a big Lexx fan.

So, I’m finally up to speed. I’ve got every Lexx DVD currently available. Yay!

Hawaiikai, no Borders in my area. And in general, whenever I check a place like that, they’ll have some Lexx DVDs, but they won’t have them all.

Cavey, I LOVE commentaries! What commentaries? Who’s doing them, and what episodes have them? Tell us more, please.

mandara k
    Participant

I bought Gigashadow in sale for 4.99 at Movie buffs; it was on the clearance rack about a year ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.