Village Life

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    pet
    Participant

“New Thread Alert!”

Most of you know by now I’ve started referring to my workplace as the Village (I am not the only one there who does so), so I thought we needed a spot to put observations of Village behavior and maxims IRL, wherever your Village may be.

1. Most recently, as I mentioned in another thread, my Number 2 got and passed about a memo which stated TPTB needed honest employee feedback on something, but they wanted the Number 2’s to choose a group with a positive attitude about the new project for the vote.

2. The day crews have more people who want country, and the night crews have more people who want rock and oldies, yet when the annual vote comes in we each get an equal share of both. We voted for total silence, but that’s not a radio station so it was declined.

3. We choose from positions open on our days off for mandatory overtime. It’s mandatory to choose a spot or a spot will be chosen for us, yet since we are choosing and it’s not a “Scheduled Day” they are called “Voluntary Days”. ❓

4. For reaching certain goals, we can receive parking passes which allow us to park in the employee recognition area, which is farther away from the entrance than most available parking spots, yet closer than the Handicapped parking.

83;D

Anonymous

Wellllll now. At the Village Hospital (where I work) they have a separate handicapped parking area just for us employees. It has a nice STEEP ramp leading to the door, but that door is very close to the lab, so I started using this lot last year.

HOWEVER, when a contractor needs to come in to make repairs, they park in the handicapped spots because “there’s no place else for them to park and anyway, it’s so close to the entrance they have to use.” The doctor’s lot is right next to the handicapped lot and it’s NVER full, but we can’t have ugly service trucks parked next to the docs’ beemers and caddys.

There are only 5 spots in this lot and one of them is ALWAYS taken up by the hospital’s van. The other night 2 of us complained to the security guard about it, while waiting for him to move his SUV so we could get out of the lot. He explained, with a smirk, that the maintanence guys often had to make a quick run to Home Depot for parts, so the van has to be handy for THEM. 😯

The worst part is that renovations are currently being done to an area near the lab, so a big dumpster is now parked against the curbing behind these 5 handicapped spots, making manuvering in and out of a spot difficult for us folks who already have mobility issues. BUT, the company who dropped the thing was kind enough NOT to block the cut-out in the curbing ….. because the morticians have to be able to wheel their gurneys out of the nearby morgue and into the hearses that park in the handicapped lot while making pick-ups. 😯

Number (get outta my parking space) Nine

Fatguy
    Participant

Interesting….. Be seeing you…..

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, in the Village that I now only work for part-time due to Village (i.e. government) cutbacks, most of the clients are undergoing mind control treatments (psychotropic drugs, aversion therapy, group therapy and a bevy of other techniques to alter their thinking). It’s our job to try to get these people back into the community as productive members of society (I work for a mental health organisation).

Anonymous

πŸ˜€

So, Logan5, you’re saying you work in the Village Hospital, too!!

Number (They never let me out of the lab! 😑 ) Nine

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, it’s more like Labour Exchange (coupled with a Citizen’s Advice Bureau). Once they’ve been “treated” by the hospital (usually an ongoing process involving group therapy and medication), we process them for labour detail so they can be happy, productive members of society. The work we arrange for them is invariably mindless assembly line work — nothing like being an automaton to take one’s mind off one’s problems. I often question the methods, as well as the results, but…

pet
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

…. The work we arrange for them is invariably mindless assembly line work — nothing like being an automaton to take one’s mind off one’s problems.

And there’s nothing like calibrating machines for automatons in the Control Room to make one snap. I rotate into an automaton position about every 4 days, and it is far preferable to my usual position.

Quite literally, I sit and wait for things to break. No doodling, no writing, email on receive only, no unreasonably distracting conversation (as if anyone can hear us), no windows, no outgoing phone lines. They even disabled all the screensavers except the text version saying what Cell I’m in. (And it is called a cell. Hm. There’s another one.)

I sit with my cheek resting on my hand for hours at a stretch, writing essays in my head, hoping for something to break or for one of the automatons to forget something. We sometimes have contests to see who can play dead the best. My eyes dry too fast.

At other times I can’t take it anymore and I sing show tunes, bad country, U2 or specifically “Secret Agent Man” or “Yo Way Yo” at the top of my lungs, but only if Number 21 is around to help because she has the loudest out-of-tune voice on the planet and it’s more fun that way. Or I just scream. AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! So many people do that, no one even pays attendion anymore.

I’ve been told I can’t play hopscotch. πŸ™ Pretending to walk the plank is okay for now.

Here’s another thing… Administration added a password to print labels for packaging. It appears Security is worried someone will break into the Village and make off with a bunch of labels with the time and date printed on them.

Oh, and Wednesday my lunch was confiscated again, but so was my Number 2’s. They made a new rule and had to make an example. πŸ™„ But the Work Units are good….

Thanks to Instant Social Conversion it’s all just a dream now. When I wake up I work in the Fun Palace. πŸ˜‰

But, Number Nine, my Village did get slapped with a fine when they refused entry to a worker who had just had foot surgery on the grounds that her wheelchair would be too dirty for the cleanroom. Some Village attitude can be overcome! πŸ˜€

83;D

Fatguy
    Participant

What I did in the village today:

Re Logan: you can zap this when you finish throwing up or laughing – etc.. 8) . This is definitely spam….. Also – if you get this in time – could you tell anyone at LEXX.com that if they are bidding on the Kai wig to say so and I will not bid. If not – then I will buy it and I have very deep pockets…..not that big a deal for me – so speak up!

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, No. 9 and No. 83, sometimes it seems that Village life just isn’t quite as idyllic as it’s cracked up to be…

“I’ve been to paradise, but I’ve never been to me” (as sung in Priscilla: Queen of the Desert)

Phi: Actually, I don’t find that spammy. Not only is it the sort of song that No. 48 would sing (but not nearly so well ;)), but I also think it’s quite allegorical for The Prisoner’s journey….

-No. 5

Anonymous
    Logan wrote:

Oh, No. 9 and No. 83, sometimes it seems that Village life just isn’t quite as idyllic as it’s cracked up to be…

“I’ve been to paradise, but I’ve never been to me” (as sung in Priscilla: Queen of the Desert)

Phi: Actually, I don’t find that spammy. Not only is it the sort of song that No. 48 would sing (but not nearly so well ;)), but I also think it’s quite allegorical for The Prisoner’s journey….

-No. 5

*Micro/#9 checks to make sure No 5 isn’t dressed in drag and flinging rubber babies while singing* 😯

pet
    Participant

YAY! I actually got to say within the first five minutes of work last night:

I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A PERSON!

They changed everything we used to initial into our employee number! And now that I’ve discovered my inner number thanks to Instant Social Conversion, it doesn’t bother me at all! :D:D:D

I get to sign things by number! How cool is that?! πŸ˜†

In response to Priscilla, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD![/url] (One of my favorite sites)

83;D

Fatguy
    Participant

I can not seem to post anymore at Sadgeezer – except for Logan’s forum. Actually; the only thing that keeps me here is the familiarity of fellow posters that frequent this forum.

I posted a thread about the ultimate end purpose of mankind – only to delete it. I then posted a thread asking why a philosophical discussion (about the previous thread) had to be deleted by myself while a website of a guy blowing his brains out was “OK”…..(I also posted the link) – I deleted that one with only two people viewing it. Just two of many…..a trend….. πŸ™„ In any case; this is not the way I usually operate.

I check in regularly just to see how my little circle of internet acquaintances are getting along in their lives. The only thing I have ever cared about was the real feelings the others had for me, and when I knew these people had their hearts in the right place – they were true friends in my book. I place no value on public displays are they are only that – public displays…..but sometimes entertaining nevertheless. It has been my experience that the reserved “upper classed attitude” tended to be the biggest bunch of bigots on the face of the earth. When I was married; it would “pain” me to see the crappy table my wife would get at a restaurant (paying top dollar 😑 ), and the deferred service (this still bugs me now – but I never told her…..) – you see, it is the little things like this that hurt the most…..

This is why you will never see me at any “get-togethers” of the internet crowd. The ones I am closer to would never be any problem to me; but the others would be. It would start off very cordial – but the social barriers would gradually come up and I would forever hate the experience (oh how I am “dialed into” this type of thing). Ok…..I am rambling on (a rather quiet and lonely moment here in Fatguy’s universe…..) But I just had to speak my mind for once…..

Maurice

Fatguy
    Participant

Well; Phi (keeping on topic…..) did it again, deleted another post – this time a short story in the sci-fi fan fic forum (or some such thing). However (would have said “But” but my english teacher told me never to start a sentence with the word “But”; and “english” was small case because it is a school subject and not the teacher being “English”)…..); unlike the other two (that have (i.e. have to refrain from using don’t (not proper you know…..) – so I use “do not”) subjects that can be injurious to people – this one does not…..); I will reproduce this one so as to let you know what made me delete it:

——————————————————————————

Freckles: Incredible Dog Of The Future!

Here in his own words, is Freckles’s incredible tale of action in the exciting world of the future:

Bow wow!!!! Rrrrrrrrr…..
    Ruff…..Fuffff…..rrrrrrr…..Ruffff…..
    Ha-ha-ha-ga…..
    Hmmm…..hmmmm…..mmmm…..
    Rrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bow wow…..Bow wow!
    The End.

Maurice

Did I do right deleting this? Or was this original sci-fi? πŸ™„

Maurice – Also know as “Phi” in the “village” which is a metaphor for his real life in the virtual world that he now inhabits (see…..I am on topic…..and no – I am not on drugs or “sloshed”…..just bored…..).

nursewhen
    Participant

Well, Fatguy, I’d love to help but I’m afraid I haven’t a clue what you were trying to say in your last 2 posts. πŸ˜•

I thought at first you were annoyed because a moderator was deleting your posts. But it’s you deleting your posts. I think that facilitating a reconciliation between the two of you is beyond my meagre abilities. πŸ˜•

Did I miss something in the subtext?

As per the fiction, I think something like that every now and then can be amusing but if lots of people posted that style of fiction, I would find it irritating

Anonymous
    Inactive

While I believe you were absolutely right to delete your post linking to the “tribute site” about the politician who publicly killed himself (a No. 6, No. 6, No. 6 most disturbing incident and a sick site about a sick man, course you were using that to illustrate your point, but I’m not quite sure what your point was to tell you the truth) I quite like your story; pure doggerel, but that’s part of the charm. Sure it’s a little ruff, but not nearly as rough as the other thing…. And remember too that I work with the mentally ill, so re the fan site, well I’m very sensitive when it comes to such matters (this sadgeezer site primarily fulfils my escapist needs, a neccesary distraction from the sad events in the world around me).

Oh, even though I’m only at that “Labour Exchange” part-time, I’m leaving completely. The pressure is too much. I’m now working on getting a business license and agreements to import and distribute computers and other electronics. Will have to see how it pans out — early days. As for my General goals — think subliminally (if you’re confused, never mind, just throwing in some Prisoner references).

“I have seen the future, and it’s gone to the dogs.”

BTW, as you know, I was a serial deletist at the lexx.com board, and I’ve posted a number of things at sadgeezers that I’d like to delete (good intentions, but came out miserably wrong), but what is done cannot be completely undone, so I will leaave them in the public eye for all to see my folly. However, it really is best not to put yourself in a position where you will feel compelled to delete your posts later (editing after someone has responded is discouraged too). Really, think about the reaction your topic/post wwill get, will it be positive or negative? Is what you are writing postive or negative? Will it distress people? Always important to try to be sensitive to others — don’t put them on the spot, try not to disturb them over-much. Just a matter of being considerate and respectful to others and yourself. What’s my point, I forget…. Also good to have clear intentions if possible — that’s where i’m sometimes lacking, especially in an argument where I go for the grey area. So really, one shouldn’t have to delete posts, if you think it’s someting you might delete later, or will be deleted, don’t post it in the first place. Won’t always work of course. I most like to delete stuff when it’s awkward, but really I don’t like deletion.

Anyway…

A big reason I come here is also to keep in touch with my “virtual” friends. Many of the people I have the most respect for (most lexx.commers or ex lexx.commers) either post in this Prisoner forum regularly, or infrequently. The nice thing about here is that I know that even if I say the wrong thing it won’t be held against me because friends are forgiving, truly listen, and try to be understanding.

I became wary about what I was posting a long time ago, overly worried that I might inadvertantly offend someone, or that my intentions wil be misunderstood (how many times that has happened).

Suffice to say, life in Your Community can be hard, but life in this little Village can be pretty darned good. πŸ˜€

Anonymous
    Inactive
    nursewhen wrote:

Well, Fatguy, I’d love to help but I’m afraid I haven’t a clue what you were trying to say in your last 2 posts. πŸ˜•

I thought at first you were annoyed because a moderator was deleting your posts. But it’s you deleting your posts. I think that facilitating a reconciliation between the two of you is beyond my meagre abilities. πŸ˜•

Did I miss something in the subtext?

As per the fiction, I think something like that every now and then can be amusing but if lots of people posted that style of fiction, I would find it irritating

Hadn’t seen NurseWhen’s post when I posted that…

I’m not really sure either, to tell you the truth. I thought I just needed my Claritin.

“…the two of you…”: πŸ˜† , how Prisoneresque. The Schizoid Man, and No. 6 ~ No. 1. It’s the eternal battle, or a personal debate, between the id and the superego, something I’m personally familiar with.

As for the story, yes indeed — everything in moderation.

Fatguy
    Participant

Well…..I have a few minutes before I go back to work – so here are a few notes:

1. Nursewhen – I constantly hope and pray I will wake up mentally ill…..but it never happens. I may have said this before, but the mentally ill usually think very highly of me. One guy I worked with called me “the coolest guy here…..”; he was a nice guy…..but conversations could go like this:

So ****, what did you do on your weekend? Then **** would reply: “I spent it under my kitchen sink…..” (not working on the sink…..just curled up under the sink…..).

However; to the point, my deleting is just a case of bad trolling. If you are to be an effective troll – you must go in guns blazing and make your escape before being banned. The problem with Sadgeezer is that I stayed too long (for sentimental reasons) and have lost my “trolling spirit”. LEXX.com was a good example of trolling as I left at the right time and made a name for myself. I may be getting too old for a troll anyway, like drugs (weed-horse…..etc…..), trolling must lead to hacking and eventually signature virus making πŸ™„ – so…..

2. Logan: Being self-employed is a big move, and not for the sensitive man. Just remember: CASH FLOW! CASH FLOW! Also, remember that you are there to make money and if you do not make more than you do working for someone else – don’t!!!!! I was once self-employed and look at me now….. However I was getting sued by a larger company….. πŸ™„ 😑 😯 ; less stressful driving a truck. I did sell my Rolex watch; but I still have the expensive ties πŸ™„ …..

3. Politician blowing up head video: The funny thing about that mpg (apart form a web site devoted to this person’s suicide – selling t-shirts, mugs?, etc…..) was the fact he pulls out the gun from a paper bag and nobody ducks – even the guy who made the video just stood there getting it all on tape…..very strange 😯 .

Back to work now – bye!

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, you would want to wake up mentally ill? Actually, we’re all mentally ill, it’s only a matter of degree. I’ve thought it might be nice to be delusional, as long as it’s pleasantly so, but if you’re really hoping to be mentally ill then you’re either deluding yourself (purposefully or not) and/or us. Most of the people I’ve dealt with are not happy.

BTW, I don’t think the mental health system is doing a great job when it comes to these people; every case is different, yet they are not treated as individuals with individual wants and needs — most are looking for acceeptance and peace of mind. Often, too, it doesn’t help when they’re labelled ill — stigmatised, alienated, pushed to the side and often hidden because they’re embarassing.

Sure they have to recognise that they have a problem (the first step), but I often think they’re not given the best tools to deal with it — medicate and pacify is too easy a method, and they become more and more dependent on the meds. Many have no sense of hope because they’ve been told that they will never get better; they will never fit-in. Ah, I’m not going to get into it too much…

So you crave mental illness simply so that you have an excuse to cop-out of your responsibilities — and if you’re diagnosed as chronically mentally ill, you might even get disability benefits. Sweet, not really…. There are other ways to get out of doing what you should be doing — ah, but then you might feel guilt, you want a recognised excuse. Many of the mentally people I’ve dealt with have strong guilt complexes… Anyway, no illness is something to be wished for, and if you’ve dealt with these people then you should know that it’s no laughing matter — I’ve known several “mentally ill” people who committed suicide because they felt it was their only option (still selfish to be sure), but it profoundly affected their families, the grief never ends….

I hope you’re not just using such mental health discussion to aid in your trolling. Trolling, by the way, is a no-no on this board. I’ve really appreciated your contribution to this forum, and hope it continues, but if you truly have feelings or respect for any of the people here (you talk much about humanising the board and showing real feelings), then just try to make people feel better. Talking about people blowing their brains out is very depressing and disturbing and, at least in the way you’ve approached it, not altogether constructive IMHO. BTW, I’m not saying that you’ve dome much of teh bad trolling, but please don’t test the people here. It really could put me in an awkward position as a moderator, and I don’t woant conflicting loyalties, life’s complicated enough as it is. Have fun, but never at the expense of others. Anyway I’m sure I can trust your loyalty to our acquaintanceship not to purposefully put me in an uncomfortable position ( a certain amount of discomfort is a good thing of course, sine comfort breeds complacency — complacency BAD). Anyway, I know you’re just kidding around, and if I seem to be taking things too seriously… Well, read on at your peril (will induce imminent boredom, as if it hasn’t already πŸ™„ )…

I like controversial debate, as long as it is not overly antagonistic, and I prefer to follow the formal debate standards — if you want to open people’s eyes (as you’ve said you want to), people are generally more receptive if you’re not preachy, are gentler, and considerate. Your last post puts me in a slightly awkward position, because if you’re being serious then it looks like I’m harbouring trolls, as a mod I should not. USing the principle of charity I have decided that you’re only kidding, and no harm intended. I take loyalty seriously, as you mentioned earlier before, and I chosse not to lose my loyalty to my friends here, including you, and the sadgeezer community generally.

But if it’s just trolling, why bother? What’s the point?

The best way to go out is on a note where people like, respect, and miss you. But if people like you, and you like people, why leave at all?

I will apologise for rambling a bit, but really mental health is a sensitive subject for me. One of the reasons why I chose that field before was because my aunt is schizophrenic (she was recently institutionalised). A month ago my grandmother died, my aunt was taking care of her and allowed her next to no outside contact. When my aunt was taken away to the institution, they didn’t check on the house (my heroin addict uncle would have checked if there wasn’t a court order against him visiting the house). Some days later a neighbour complained to the police about the bad smell emanating from the house. The police found her half-alive, emaciated, extremely dehydrated, and covered in bed sores and her own secretions. She later died…. Sad, she just missed the birth of my child — ah, the circle of life. Sorry, I have been a bit emotional recently, so if I come across as overly sensitive, rather than laughing at the joke, well you understand… my apologies…

On to other more jolly things… Yes, going into business for myself is a big step, but I’m playing it very cautiously. My wife was recently made a partner in the company she manages, and I’m not about to risk bankruptcy. I buy the equipment with the money from pre-orders, but there are a lot of legal expenses involved in getting it going.

nursewhen
    Participant

Logan, I’m so sorry to hear of your recent tragedies. I offer my deepest sympathy.

I was going to say something about ‘wishing to wake up mentally ill’, but when something pisses me off, I tend to go away for a day, mull it over and come back when I’m feeling more serene.
    Now you’ve covered the topic from every angle and there is nothing more that I could possibly add.

On the subject of trolling. it is something I totally fail to understand. To me, it’s like going into a nice house and pissing on the carpet.

I too hope that you were joking, fatguy, because you’re obviously an intelligent man and I find it hard to square that such social vandalism could come from somebody who has so much going for him and could use his intelligence to much better ends.

If you were a troll but have now lost your trolling spirit, then all well and good. I look forward to your positive and enlightening posts. πŸ™‚

Fatguy
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

On the subject of trolling. it is something I totally fail to understand. To me, it’s like going into a nice house and pissing on the carpet.

I too hope that you were joking, fatguy, because you’re obviously an intelligent man and I find it hard to square that such social vandalism could come from somebody who has so much going for him and could use his intelligence to much better ends.

If you were a troll but have now lost your trolling spirit, then all well and good. I look forward to your positive and enlightening posts. πŸ™‚

Actually…..Nursewhen…..I never considered myself a “troll”; I had the designation thrust upon me πŸ™„ . You are correct about trolling being like pissing on the carpet in a nice house – However: Consider the house being built by one segment of society from the toil and theft of other more disadvantaged people; and here comes a guy from those disadvantaged societies who (through a fluke of circumstance) grew up among this affluent group, despises the hypocrisy of it all, and shows it by fouling the gathering place/living-room. A metaphor of our society – I think many people would wish that I leave this place as “Sadgeezer” is very much a upper-middle-class venue; and it is a pleasant place where advantaged people can wrap themselves in their affluent lifestyle…..conveniently forgetting what gave them this lifestyle – theft (in North America – the American Indians (remember those people?) and the resource raping of countries where most of the inhabitants continue to live in squalor). Yes – it is a good life to live in affluence among others of like circumstance. You can pine over the shape of your nose and change it while much of the world worries about it’s next meal….. The last thing you want is for someone to remind you of the REALITY of your situation in this world of ours. Worse – this person is of the lowest class and can go toe-to-toe with the best of us…..it makes us uncomfortable to think we treat/think-badly of others when they can think like us (as opposed to the lower classes all being mentally inferior, etc.). Of this I am guilty – but because of who I am and what made me – I am a reflection of your society…..which is why I seem to really bother some people without any personal attacks against them….. Rambling again – a better question is: What is the most accepted/clinical definition of a “Troll”?

By the way – I still don’t consider myself a “troll” – In fact (getting back on topic), I consider myself to be the real Number 6 in the real world – but with a much sadder ending….. Does not help the ratings…..

Re: Logan – will reply to you tomorrow as I am too tired to continue…..

Maurice

Fatguy
    Participant

Re Logan – drank some coffee – sorry about the personal tragedy in your recent past. I guess I should change “wishing to be mentally ill” to “different perspective on life”. I seem to live life in the grey zone without the highs and lows other people seem to have. Perhaps I am delusional and am actually mentally insane – however, I doubt this – you guys out there tell me πŸ™„ . Actually a change in attitude would be a good thing – but is a variance from the “norm” an illness? So relax – I was just posting during the few seconds of time before I had to get back to work loading heavy boxes.

Actually; I now dream of going to work behind a desk instead of sweating like a pig every day….. One dream is going to a job wearing a suit and getting paid for it 8) ; but that will never happen. My present worry is of my left knee giving out and not being able to work lifting the heavy boxes…..what to do (I actually worry about this). Anyway…..enough of my personal life…..

Since this is The Prisoner Forum; would Number 6 be considered a “troll’ – probably not as he is too good looking to be a troll. Would Number 6 do a public opinion poll in his mind before saying anything…..probably not…..

It is past Twelve here and I must sleep or else I will make mistakes lifting heavy boxes tomorrow and get in trouble with the job I am ashamed of. So more later.

Maurice

nursewhen
    Participant

Jeez, fatguy,

You’re not the only person on the planet who has a hard time and you’re not the only person on the planet who cares about the misfortunes of others. Me, I’m tired of the accusations of racisism and elitisism which you are constantly implying in your posts.

And I don’t know why you’re ashamed of your job since you were recently boasting the depth of your pockets and how nobody would be able to outbid you for the Kai wig. Hell, if I could get paid that sort of money for lifting boxes, I’d be there like a shot.

Fatguy
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

Jeez, fatguy,

You’re not the only person on the planet who has a hard time and you’re not the only person on the planet who cares about the misfortunes of others. Me, I’m tired of the accusations of racisism and elitisism which you are constantly implying in your posts.

And I don’t know why you’re ashamed of your job since you were recently boasting the depth of your pockets and how nobody would be able to outbid you for the Kai wig. Hell, if I could get paid that sort of money for lifting boxes, I’d be there like a shot.

Ok…..after a good sleep…..maybe I was “a bit much” there on the job. Today Sony will hit me with a big load πŸ‘Ώ . Anyway, it was late and I was grumpy….. I would like to think about how The Prisoner would play if he was a truck driver and not a secret agent πŸ˜‰ . I always looked at the series as society trying to break the spirit of people. I see it a lot with minorities that grew up here (not immigrants who grew up with their own); not me though as I am still kicking back at my advanced age πŸ˜€ . I see that I am starting to open another “red herring” so I will end this one fast…..

Maurice

Fatguy
    Participant

I feel I have lead this thread beyond it’s topic – so I will try to bring it back. Last weekend I saw a Lotus Seven (Number 6’s car…..) traveling westward on the 401 just before the 404 (two main arterial freeways in Toronto). You have to see just how low you sit and how “naked” you truly are with regard to other traffic. I tried to catch up to see more – but I had to turn off on a ramp…..

Two quick notes. First – Lotus usually likes to design it’s suspension backwards with regard to others; this means an unstable car as the shocks get old (would be interesting to see how that car handles a bump…..). Secondly; this is not a dating car (my 5.0 Mustang is 8) ) the wind buffets your face and the seats barely keep you in the car, etc.. Number 6 was not a “ladies man” – or he needed another car for the girls IMHO 😈 .

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s one crazy sweet car! Drool… Wanted one of those for ages. Sure it aint no lovemobile (no back seat for one thing), but like No. 6, I’m a lone wolf, and pedestrians are my prey… Sorry… that sounds bad, I was watching Death Race 2000 again recently. Beautiful car ‘though. http://www.lotus7club.co.uk/ Still think I’d rather own the Lotus Esprit from The Spy Who Loved Me — not for aesthetic reasons, just cause ya can go cruisin for skanky blowfish in it.

Note: Would look way funkier with some fuzzy dice dangling.

Check out this Made in the USA roadster inspired by the Lotus 7: http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/stalkerv6/

streudel
    Participant

That’s one crazy sweet car! Drool… Wanted one of those for ages.

Hubby and I are both car enthusiasts. Much of our Prisoner discussion is drooling over that car. Hubby wants to build one. Maybe one day when we’ve gotten Project 72 Nova in hand.

Is it true that the Lotus tended to overheat? I thought I remember reading that somewhere as well as hearing Number 6 refer to it.

That brings me to my point. My favorite cars are not lovemobiles, grocery getters or anything of the practical like. Our Nova gets 10 miles to the gallon, can’t be driven on a rainy day, has no heat in the winter ( but plenty of heat if you drive more than 20 miles in the summer ) and yet we would not part with it for any amount of money.

I love to see hubby build a Lotus, lovemobile or no, as long as I get to drive it. And get to hang my fuzzy dice. πŸ˜‰

Here’s my little Village Life Experience. I work in a factory and on the last day of the month, we label guitars with numbers to make it easier to know when we’ve hit goal. My neighboring co worker looked at his guitar and said ” I am the new Number 2.” I, of course had to ask, ” Who is Number 1? “. Unlike the Prisoner, it didn’t take me 17 episodes to find out who Number 1 was, and, no, it wasn’t me. He tells me ” You are Number 6. ” I pulled back the axesack on mine to discover that I actually had Number 6. I asked the guy on the other side of me what number guitar he had, and to my delight, he said in a loud voice, ” I am not a Number, I am a free man! “.

It’s always nice to know who your fellow Prisoners are. πŸ˜‰ My husband used to work there. He made his escape, or so he thinks, but before he did, he used to wear a Number 6 badge on either side of his headphones. πŸ˜€

pet
    Participant
    ”99″ wrote:

Is it true that the Lotus tended to overheat? I thought I remember reading that somewhere as well as hearing Number 6 refer to it.

I am quite sure anything that close to Number 6’s a** would overheat…. 😈

I love to see hubby build a Lotus, lovemobile or no, as long as I get to drive it. And get to hang my fuzzy dice. πŸ˜‰

I am planning on building a Lotus, but I don’t think it’s going to be a lovemobile since it’s only 14cm long and I don’t have the right paint yet… I also need new X-acto knives and time to clear off my junk table and glue it together.

You could always just get one of these!

I have the Number 2 chair. It’s roomier on the inside than one would expect, but not roomy enough or sturdy enough for a loveseat unless you are of less than average height and width, so though it was designed for 2, it was not designed for two, nowamsane? 8)

One person and a cat fit perfectly. πŸ™‚

Here’s my little Village Life Experience. I work in a factory and on the last day of the month, we label guitars with numbers to make it easier to know when we’ve hit goal. My neighboring co worker looked at his guitar and said ” I am the new Number 2.” I, of course had to ask, ” Who is Number 1? “. Unlike the Prisoner, it didn’t take me 17 episodes to find out who Number 1 was, and, no, it wasn’t me. He tells me ” You are Number 6. ” I pulled back the axesack on mine to discover that I actually had Number 6. I asked the guy on the other side of me what number guitar he had, and to my delight, he said in a loud voice, ” I am not a Number, I am a free man! “.

It’s always nice to know who your fellow Prisoners are. πŸ˜‰ My husband used to work there. He made his escape, or so he thinks, but before he did, he used to wear a Number 6 badge on either side of his headphones. πŸ˜€

Sweet! πŸ˜€

83;D

streudel
    Participant

Number 83 wrote

I am quite sure anything that close to Number 6’s a** would overheat….

Amen!! I know I would. πŸ˜€

I am planning on building a Lotus, but I don’t think it’s going to be a lovemobile since it’s only 14cm long and I don’t have the right paint yet… I also need new X-acto knives and time to clear off my junk table and glue it together.

Very cool! 8) A little Number 6 action figure to sit in it would be neat, too. I would love to see it when you’re done. πŸ˜€

You could always just get one of these!

Hee Hee! I got a huge kick out of the Rover getting stuck in the tunnel! Why did I never think of that one before? πŸ˜†

One person and a cat fit perfectly.

What more could one ask for? πŸ˜€

I bet that’s an intimidating sight for your houseguests to see, you sitting in the Number 2 chair with your cat curled up in your lap! If you have those colored phones on the endtable next to it, I’d run like hell! πŸ˜›

Fatguy
    Participant

My Evening In “The Village”.

I was just going across some old files…..figuring out some things. We can never change our past as they are what we have become. This makes some people very bitter even if they try to hide it. It is said by many in my non-internet life that I have one big “chip” on my shoulder (true…..); on the other hand, a Filipino woman I work with summed me up by saying “you good man…..”. In any case, I have found that if you extend the hand of friendship to a bitter/negative person…..you may get bitterness thrown back in your face – I have become one of these people. They (me) do not want to do this (throwing bitterness back); but their disposition leads many to a lonely life and thus the first person to approach them gets all that pent up frustration for their kind actions. If a child is tormented at school, they will usually take it out on their family/friends – does not make sense, but emotions were never designed with rationality in mind.

You can become so used to this type of existence that it becomes a self-perpetuating lifestyle – not good. I think I have mellowed out recently – more to do with me finally giving up on some dreams I had as a younger man. I guess I am giving up the fight and will just get old – in fact I think I am old…..yipes…..

I just gave up on a dream a few hours ago; but the reality is that it was gone eight years ago – and could have been predicted when I was growing up. If you were to read my high school year book – I predicted my fate as a joke – no joke now.

Anyway, I am not posting this to bore you with my sordid life. There are many lives that are better and many that are worse. I just wanted to say sorry for any of you that had to put up with me and my antics on these boards. I love you all and this is true – like a home away from home….. Anyway – I just had to get that off my chest – you all know who you are.

Maurice

Fatguy
    Participant

I am getting paranoid about “The Man”; The Prisoner syndrome continues. I also lost six pounds last week and had to stay in this weekend in front of the computer eating junk food – Doctor’s orders! When was the last time you heard that!!!!!

Maurice

Fatguy
    Participant

Remember this thread; so much has changed….. Sadly I see our world becoming more like The Prisoner and less interest in the TV shows that dealt with issues seen in the original series…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s very true. People have grown more complacent, less idealistic, more escapist, less visionary, resigned to the status quo, less questioning, and TV shows reflect, and reinforce that thinking (or lack of thinking). The philosopher is trampled, or absorbed, by the market — he moves into advertising. The visionary seeks to be the next great entrepreneur, or dreams of becoming the next American Idol. A bit frightening, isn’t it?

Still, “apathetic or renegade, take your pick”…
    http://multimedia.badmovies.org/moviesi/zardoz1.mpg

Alas, we fiddle with our remotes while Rome burns…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.